British Speedway Forum
shazzybird

3rd Time Lucky Canterbury Crusaders!

FR as much as I would love to take credit for the Canterbury website it is infact the work of Sidecar121 and what a marvelous job he is doing to :approve:

oh ok, presume he will get my info then! Mick Spink actually spannered on a couple of times for Hans Andersen last season incidentally.

Mike was also regular spannerman of Sam Tesar...

Edited by stevehone

Guest kent

Whatever happened to Gary Hopkins,Warren Mowat,Mark Terry and also remember two second halvers in Simon Brown and Paul Muchene.

Sadly, there is another thread currently running on Paul Muchene which you may care to look at.

Guest kent

Hi Kevin,Where will i find this thread

Guest kent

Thanks Kevin just found thread and your right very sad also found out that Luje Clifton who rides for Rye House Raiders is the nephew of Graham have you any memories of Graham riding for Canterbury.

have you any memories of Graham riding for Canterbury.

Yes I do, Graham was one of those riders who could have done with some good sponsorship to allow him to invest in better machinery. He was a talented rider but lack of power and reliability from his bikes cost him points, which cost him money etc. A good team man though.

I've just seen a quite unbelievable incident on video from Canterbury v Milton Keynes in 1987. Does anyone remember it? A part of the tape was hanging down and so, during the race, the flag marshall actually stood on the track and held it up. He nearly got hit by the riders as they came round and MK's Troy Butler, who was in the lead, pulled up whilst the others carried on.

Amazingly, the result of the race stood!

One of my abiding memories of matches at Canterbury was the near-suicidal dash from Kingsmead to the Kempton Manor Hotel near Hothfield my ex-missus and I used to make after meetings.

To explain, I was the DJ at the hotel which was situated on the A20 at Hothfield near Ashford and 'performed' there every Saturday night. That was after the paying punters enjoyed a carvery meal in the restaurant.

I'd managed to work out that we just about had time to see the match at Kingsmead before making the dash to the hotel to arrive more or less at the time everyone had finished their meals.

We used to park our trusty Morris Oxford in the swimming pool car park opposite the stadium and literally run to it immediately after the last race for a "Le Mans type" getaway! Now my ex-wife always had aspirations of following in the footsteps of various Grand Prix drivers and, believe me the way she drove along the Canterbury to Charing Road (which was not the best I've got to say!) certainly wasn't for the faint hearted!

Nor were my efforts to execute a complete change of clothing in the front seat of the car whilst she slung the old Morris Oxford around the many bends at breakneck speeds! Happy days indeed! :D

Edited by Bryn

Love to read through this thread and still think the best is Honey phoning from across the road at Sainsburys (weather pouring hard!) asking what the weather was like in Canterbury only for JH to tell him they hadn't had a drop of rain all day!! :lol:

As Johnnie himself used to say, he wasn't a liar, he just stretched the truth beyond all recognition. :rolleyes:

Great :cry: I was hoping no-one would see it as already bidding via my bro