British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Vincent Vega

Floppy makes the squad

Guest Pinstripe2k3

He can only ride Eastbourne VV - i dont know what Middleditch was playing at :shock:

Gawd help us!

Are they shipping Arlington en bloc to Denmark then :P

Guest Pinstripe2k3

LOL @ Frigbo

I think they have moved the World Cup to Eastbourne without informing us! :roll:

Has Middleditch forgotten the Premier League riders surely they are a better bet than Norris, after all we already have Barker in the squad.

Guest Pinstripe2k3

Barker can be excused cos hes kind of ok - BUT Norris!

Come on Neil - surely Stoney and Wilson should be in the team!

Pinny

I can see where Middlo is coming from. I certainly don't think Norris was likely to get the call if we didn't have such an injury crisis, however needs must and so Norris gets the nod.

Why pick Floppy over Stonehewer and Wilson? Fairly easy answer. Because he is better. There is no contest why he has been picked over Wilson. Last year on his home track, Wilson proved that he just doesn't cut the mustard at a higher level and chocked. he prefers to ride his speedway at a lower level and that's why he has been overlooked.

Stonehewer does ride at Elite league level, and has proved in the past that he can mix it with some of the top boys, however his comments about being glad to be out of the GP circus etc have probably gone aganst him.

Norris plies his trade at the highest level and is a proved heat leader over the years, and not shy to race against the best week in week out. Sure, he is a poor traveller nowadays, as is Havvy, but Middlo has very litle room for maneouvre and so must pick riders who have the experience and want to be there.

I am not a Norris fan. However, if I was to pick the team he ould be one of the guys I would be calling on, and hope that he is up for it.

Guest Pinstripe2k3

Steve - how can he be in the team!? The Team should of been:-

1.Lee Richardson

2.David Howe

3.Scott Nicholls

4.Carl Stonehewer

5.Joe Screen

Reserve: Dean Barker

Norris wont get near any of the big boys and im telling you - Joe Screen can still mix it - he is still a great rider and i feel he would of done a great job.But hey its not my decision!

Pinny

I see Dave Norris has made the 5 man squad for the world cup

Thought this was one of those "only joking" threads again!

It's not as if Team GB are going to win the SWC, so why not give one of the younger lads some experience at this level :x

Denmark fielded a very young team last year, and look how their youngsters are progressing!

Steve - how can he be in the team!? The Team should of been:-

1.Lee Richardson

2.David Howe

3.Scott Nicholls

4.Carl Stonehewer

5.Joe Screen

Reserve: Dean Barker

Norris wont get near any of the big boys and im telling you - Joe Screen can still mix it - he is still a great rider and i feel he would of done a great job.But hey its not my decision!

Pinny

Of course he would not have been in the usual squad, but he is certainly riding better than Joe Screen, who IMO is behind Havvy in the pecking order. Screen is not near the rider he used to be and it's not suprising he has been overlooked. The move to BV may help rescue a flagging career.

Loram, Nicholls, Richardson, Howe and Barker would have ben the team to get the nod, with possibly Havvy, Norris and Stonehewer as standby's.

havvy still rides in Sweden every week and gets good scores. The track shapes in Scandinavia are all similar and so he knows what to expect in Denmark.

If Outrup is a small slick track it could well suit Floppy as he has been gating well this season whenever I have seen him, the pressure is on them all, let's hope luck is on our side in Denmark :-) I hope they can find some good set ups from race one.

:D:approve::lol:

I am absolute delighted for Floppy. He's not stupid, he knows he wouldn;t have made a full strength squad, but I tell you what: You won't find someone who will give it more than him. He really wanted this and he'll give it everything - and I mean everything.

The management have to go on hunches, and I know Floppy will grab his chance to prove himself absolutely.

One more thing - have an opinion, we all do - but this is Team GB and thats the team, so lets get behind them.

Viva GB, Viva Eastbourne!

Guest Pinstripe2k3

I think Niels Iversen should be riding at Holsted - His Home track!

I am still not convinced with Floppy in the WTC team though!

Pinny

Look, ok Norris has been chosen to do a job by Middleditch. Now under the circumstances, obviously Middleditch has chosen the strongest team avaliable to him, in his opinion.

So lets get behind his choice, eh?

How many times has Norris rode at the highest level? :roll:

Steve Shovlar says Norris is better than Stonehewer? I guess Carl's 3 seasons in the GP don't count then! OK, he finished outside the top 10 all 3 times but he did come close to staying in them once or twice and every time he had the chance to re-qualify he done it! :evil: What's Norris done away from Arlington this season...or any other season?! :twisted:

If Norris is an automatic choice, then.....COME BACK JOE SCREEN - YOU'RE FORGIVEN! :D

The selection of Havvy asks questions too. He didn't give a toss about his country last year at Peterborough and moaned and twined about the track all night without putting any effort in on track. :x

Boy, with them 2 in the squad we aint got a cat in hell's chance.

This is what it SHOULD be:-

1. Scotty Nicholls (obvious choice)

2. Lee Richardson (obvious choice)

3. Dean Barker (he's up for it, and his SS EL scores are good too)

4. Stoney (having a great season in the PL after a bad injury, getting better in the EL too)

-------

5. Joe Screen (Joe isn't having the best of seasons, but he is a racer and is a great rider on his day).

Norris is largely useless away from home - he wasn't much good at Arlington in the GB v ROW match either. Havelock can only ride one line, the white one, and never attempts to go wide. I guess Havvy got picked though because of Middlo and his favouritism.

Good luck to the lads, I hope they do us proud.