British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Paula

Scott Nicholls In The Gps

Ah that kind of explains it then....so I suppose Lindback's nickname means 'Little Toni'?  :unsure:

ETA: I just told my other half about the Inho thing and he said wouldn't 'Talentinho' or 'Chanceinho' be more appropriate?!!!!  :lol:

Noshownio Lindback

From the early weeks of the season I had concerns about Scott at GP level. I discussed this with SCB, a couple of times actually. He seems to have improved his overall gating but he has no speed (compared to the top lads). At Brandon he chases but doesn't catch them, as seen in the two recent matches. He's missing that little bit extra to pass people. I can't actually remember a pass of note this season. Now for a rider that would list his racing ability as his greatest asset that must be a real concern. To try to compensate he seems to be over-riding the bike even more than ever. I've lost count of the number of times he's over-locked the bike and subsequently lost ground. He also seems to make poor decisions on track positioning. A classic example of which was when he allowed Gollob up the inside when he had the lead. He put himself in a vulnerable position, and paid the inevitable price.

From the early weeks of the season I had concerns about Scott at GP level.  I discussed this with SCB, a couple of times actually.  He seems to have improved his overall gating but he has no speed (compared to the top lads).  At Brandon he chases but doesn't catch them, as seen in the two recent matches.  He's missing that little bit extra to pass people.  I can't actually remember a pass of note this season.  Now for a rider that would list his racing ability as his greatest asset that must be a real concern.  To try to compensate he seems to be over-riding the bike even more than ever.  I've lost count of the number of times he's over-locked the bike and subsequently lost ground.  He also seems to make poor decisions on track positioning.  A classic example of which was when he allowed Gollob up the inside when he had the lead.  He put himself in a vulnerable position, and paid the inevitable price.

definetly, in other seasons sometimes he lacks the patience in building up his speed over the four laps to pass somebody, but this year he's really struggling, and like you say, seems to be over riding alot more.

Maybe the step to GM is proving difficult, he certainly needs something extra from somewhere, hope he sorts it soon

I really hope he can find an answer to whatever the problem is, and fast. I'd love to see him realise his true potential on the world stage, and we really need him on top form in the WC. He may not have quite enough to challenge for a world title, but there's no reason he can't be a top 5 rider.

Why don't we now just accept Scotts not good enough. He's had about 7 years in the GP's and I don't thikn he's made the top 8 once yet.

Scott has the abillity, but as others have said, there is something

missing from his game. Now whether its bottle or lack of speed

or some other mechanical function only Scott knows. From a

rider perspective Scott has good balance on a bike, but there's

something stopping him from jumping that ditch, from being

a good EL heatleader to being a top GP rider??.

Yep bloody women complicating his life and distracting him! :wink:

It's quite clear to me that Scott hasn't had his bike set up correctly in the GPs so far - the best was in Wroclaw. You can see from his progress down the straights that his bike is slower than nearly all the others. This will be even more frustrating for him than for his fans. The switch to GMs over the winter will take a bit of time to get used to but his pit crew haven't got it right yet - there is certainly no lack of talent/ability/bottle in the rider himself. He will have to do the GP qualifiers this year I think if he wants to maintain his GP place for next season, unless he can pick up serious points in the next few GPs. He does tend to do quite well on the smaller tracks, where the bike setup for top speed is less critical so I will be keeping my fingers crossed that he can.

It's quite clear to me that Scott hasn't had his bike set up correctly in the GPs so far - the best was in Wroclaw. You can see from his progress down the straights that his bike is slower than nearly all the others. This will be even more frustrating for him than for his fans. The switch to GMs over the winter will take a bit of time to get used to but his pit crew haven't got it right yet - there is certainly no lack of talent/ability/bottle in the rider himself. He will have to do the GP qualifiers this year I think if he wants to maintain his GP place for next season, unless he can pick up serious points in the next few GPs. He does tend to do quite well on the smaller tracks, where the bike setup for top speed is less critical so I will be keeping my fingers crossed that he can.

Why don't we now just accept Scotts not good enough.  He's had about 7 years in the GP's and I don't thikn he's made the top 8 once yet.

???

Now whether its bottle or lack of speed

or some other mechanical function only Scott knows.

I don't that's ever been a problem for Scott.

He does tend to do quite well on the smaller tracks, where the bike setup for top speed is less critical so I will be keeping my fingers crossed that he can.

I think it's a case of the smaller tracks suiting him better all round really. In fact, the Brits generally do better on smaller tracks. It's what they're used to.

There definately seems to be a missing link with Scotty somewhere... I dont agree he is just not good enough. We've all seen him on his day, he can beat anyone. All the pundits, fellow riders all say he is good enough. He seems to have the finaial backing these days, but it's just not working for him and it's seems there is no obvious reason. He should be pushing the top 5 at least by now.

Maybe he needs a few more experts in his pit crew & a few less mates/family members..

Yes, but Fredrik went into the qualifiers last year, but failed to qualify. Chris Harris notwithstanding, PK was the next-in-line for the GPs. Chris Harris was selected in preference to either PK or Fredrik. Let's hope F qualifies this year....he did very well last night!

Fred didnt really want to qualify for the GP last year, he just wanted to be world under 21 champ. The qualifer came just at that point, where he had ridden for 2 months with no days off and was so disappointed with falling off in the final. Not surpising he ran out of fuel, unlike Zabik and Lindback who had had 3 weeks off previous. :rolleyes:

Get rid of Havelock, and get Brian Andersson to tune his bikes we might then see how good Scott really is

Well he certainly needs to change something cos he's not up too speed at the moment.