British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest Jim Blanchard

Igor Plechanov

Guest Jim Blanchard

According to Ove Fundin - perhaps the greatest Russian speedway rider is very ill at present.

From his latest newsletter from his web site he says:

"Among all the news from Russia Igor (Kalashnik) told me was the sad story of the greatest ever Russian rider, Igor Plechanov, he is still very ill in his home town Ufa. I'm sure that Plechanow's many admirers wish him well, as I do. Ove."

I have asked Ove to keep us up to date on the health of Igor as I am sure most of us wish him well. If I get any further news from Ove about Igor's condition I will of course pass it on.

Ove told me that when Igor attended the WSRA dinner a few years back he had to travel for 3 days on a train just to get to the nearest airport for his flight to the UK.

I found him a most charming and very likeable man even though we both had language problem.

Have you a small racing bio of him Norman?

Read the rest of Ove's current newsletter Here

Edited by Jim Blanchard

Very sad to hear that Jim.Never saw him other than on video,but his record speaks for itself.Hope the great man is feeling better soon :)

Here is a translation from Russian

The master of the sport of the USSR (1965 g.) on the motor sport. It was born on July 26, 1933 in Ufa.

Master of the sport of the USSR (1959 g.), the master of the sport of the USSR of international class (1965 g.) on the motorcycle races on the speedway.

The Leningrad state institute of physical culture [im]. finished. [P].[F].[Lesgafta] (1969 g.). Silver prize-winner of the World Championship(1964-1965 yr.), the bronze prize-winner of the championship of Europe (1961, 1967 yr.), the champion of the spartakiada of the peoples of the USSR (1965 g.), the silver prize-winner (1967 g.) of the spartakiada of the peoples of the USSR, the champion of the USSR (1960-1961, 1963, 1965, 1968 yr.), the silver prize-winner of the championship of the USSR (1959, 1962, 1964, 1967 yr.), the champion of the RSFSR (1960-1962 yr.) in the personal test.

Silver (1964, 1966 yr.) and bronze (1967 g.) prize-winner of the command championship of peace.

Champion of the USSR (1962, 1964, 1967-1969 yr.) with Ufa club “Bashkirya”, the champion of the spartakiada of the peoples of the USSR in the composition team RSFSR (1965, 1967[gg].).

Possessor “gold helmet of Czechoslovakia” (g. [Pardubitsa], 1964, 1966 yr.), the large goblet of fair g. Graz (Austria, 1964 g.), the goblet of the earth Styria (Austria, 1964 g.).

6 times left into the finale of the personal championships of peace. Only racer of the USSR, which earned medal in the World Championship. The first of the Soviet racers to qualify for the final of the championship of world (1961 g.). In the races of world superiority it came out on 19 tracks of eight countries, in all - rode on more than 130 tracks and at tens of tracks he established speed records.

Instructor- instructor [bashavtomotoklub] (1955 g.), trainer on the motor sport Of [bashoblsoveta] [DSO] “Spartacus” (1960-1969[gg]), instructor on the motor sport Of [bashoblkomiteta] of DOSAAF (All-Union Voluntary Society for Assistance to the Army, Air Force, and Navy) (1963-1973 yr.), the chairman of the Bashkir republic council of the society of the [avtomotolyubiteley] RSFSR (1973-1980 yr.).

Trainer of the team of the USSR(1970-1972 yr.).

It is rewarded with order [RB] “friendship of peoples” (2004 g.), honorable certificates of the Presidium of the Supreme Soviet [bASSR] (1959, 1968 yr.), with honorable sign “outstanding athlete [RB]” (1993 g.).

Edited by iris123

Guest Jim Blanchard

Thanks for that Doug. Much appreciated. :D

A picture here of Ove and Igor to his right. In younger days and obviously fun times. Is that Boris ??? to Ove's left?

OvePlechanovBoris__450.jpg

Looks like it to me Jim.I did post a link to an article on a Russian site a few years back.Can't find it now.But it did have a nice picture of Igor with the Czech Golden helmet(i think)

Edited by iris123

So sorry to hear about Igor Plechanov's health. A true great and surely undisputed as the best Russian ever. If World Finals had been held in Eastern Europe at that time we would most likely be describing him as a "former World Champion".

The guy to Ove Fundin's left is Boris Somorodov. Another top flight Russian, I think it was on his UK debut (1963 World Final?) that there was nearly an international incident when he was excluded for bringing down an opponent (?Ron How?).

Edited by Wessex Wanderer

Guest Jim Blanchard
So sorry to hear about Igor Plechanov's health. A true great and surely undisputed as the best Russian ever. If World Finals had been held in Eastern Europe at that time we would most likely be describing him as a "former World Champion".

The guy to Ove Fundin's left is Boris Somorodov. Another top flight Russian, I think it was on his UK debut (1963 World Final?) that there was nearly an international incident when he was excluded for bringing down an opponent (?Ron How?).

Thanks for the name WW and I would agree with you about Igor. :)

Remember watching Igor, Kurilenko, Somorodov et al in the 60's - they brought a whole different style to British Speedway - hoping for a Speedy Recovery.

Found that bit on Igor Plechanov

I.Plechanov

Little bit at the bottom seems to indicate an error on his birthdate :unsure:

Yes the third rider in the picture is Boris Samorodov-if memory serves he scored 11 out of 12 points in 4 completed rides in the 1963 World Final(one exclusion after causing Ron how to fall. Sorry to hear about Igor-remember seeing him in 1965 World Final where he finished 2nd after beating Ove Fundin in run off)

Yes the third rider in the picture is Boris Samorodov-if memory serves he scored 11 out of 12 points in 4 completed rides in the 1963 World Final(one exclusion after causing Ron how to fall. Sorry to hear about Igor-remember seeing him in 1965 World Final where he finished 2nd after beating Ove Fundin in run off)

Both were the top Soviets in the 60's. Remember them well. Great competitors. Had Boris not got excluded he might have been world champ!... Igor came the closest. All the Russians were good for an autograph or two but watched like hawkes!... Ah the good o9ld cold war days. And those funky handlebars!!!!

Tiger Tom....

All the Russians were good for an autograph or two but watched like hawkes!... Ah the good o9ld cold war days.

Tiger Tom....

They should have assigned one of the guys to watching the bikes then :P

This caused almost as big an incident as the Disqualification at Wembley did

From memory T C got the blame for this one, or do I recall wrongly

This caused almost as big an incident as the Disqualification at Wembley did

From memory T C got the blame for this one, or do I recall wrongly

Yes I believe Tony got the five finger discount!....... :P

No that's right.TC and his brother(or brother in law)who's flat parts of the bikes were found at.Maybe someone has clearer knowledge.I did come across an article in one of my old Speedway Stars a while back

Edited by iris123