British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
KevH

Romford Speedway

My records suggest that the Romford track record at the end of 1970 was held by Vaclav Verner and the time was 69.0 secs.

Was this record still intact at the end of the following year when The Bombers rode their last meeting at Brooklands please?

My records suggest that the Romford track record at the end of 1970 was held by Vaclav Verner and the time was 69.0 secs.

Was this record still intact at the end of the following year when The Bombers rode their last meeting at Brooklands please?

Try Here Kevin :wink:

Great website for us Old Bombers! (Statistics/Track Record Holders)

My 2nd team as a lad and my local track.

Edited by Custom House Kid

I believe Ipswich Witches legends John 'Tiger' Louis and Tony 'Shrimp' Davey jointly hold the never to be beaten track record at the old well supported Brooklands stadium in Romford.

Romford Greyhound stadium - Would make a great venue for speedway.

Guest Donsking
I believe Ipswich Witches legends John 'Tiger' Louis and Tony 'Shrimp' Davey jointly hold the never to be beaten track record at the old well supported Brooklands stadium in Romford.

Except for the noise pollution problems that will forever haunt any urban track.

Much as I'd love to agree - it being so local to where I live in Barking -; I don't think that the Romford dog track has really ever had any potential to be a Speedway venue. :sad:

Few tracks anywhere are so completely surrounded by homes than this: indeed it's actually impossible even to see the stadium from the road as it is so completely immersed in houses.

Sure, when one goes to Berwick, one can see how a housing estate can have a Speedway track within it: but somehow I can't see the NIMBY-ism of Romford (where, remember, the massively popular Brooklands was laid to waste..) ever tolerating a Speedway track in such a location... :cry::cry:

Try Here Kevin  :wink:

I believe Ipswich Witches legends John 'Tiger' Louis and Tony 'Shrimp' Davey jointly hold the never to be beaten track record

Thanks Guys, it's appreciated.

The main Norwich to London Liverpool street train line runs past the Romford Greyhound stadium and that runs so many trains probably 19 hours a day everyday.

The roads beside the stadium would undoubtedly be busy being in an extremely built up area close to London.

The new Birmingham track at Perry Bar proves that urban speedway tracks are possible and the noise nuiance is in reality blown out of all proportions.

The pits area has been built with materials that baffle the noise and is surrounded by a wooden acoustic barrier. When I went there I couldn't even hear the bikes being warmed up, even standing near the pits gate and my hearing is still very good!

The crowd the night I went to Perry Bar must of been the best part of 3000 and the area outside the stadium wasn't affected by the size of the crowd.

2-3 hours once a week of short bursts of noise that is baffled anyway in an extremely busy urban area isn't a noise problem in reality.

Therefore I think if the Council and local residents could be made to understand that 25 speedway meetings a year wouldn't be a problem for anyone then I think it would be possible to reintroduce speedway back at Romford at the greyhound track.

Therefore I think if the Council and local residents could be made to understand that 25 speedway meetings a year wouldn't be a problem for anyone then I think it would be possible to reintroduce speedway back at Romford at the greyhound track.

Corals, who own the stadium, would have nothing to do with it.