British Speedway Forum
Guest bluesboyfil

what song reminds you of speedway

Sting - Have to agree with that one

Sting - Have to agree with that one

i don't think i know that one...

i like a couple from his 'Brand New Day' album and a few when with the 'Police'

Hi all.........Its got to be I CAN SEE CLEARLY NOW by JOHNNIE NASH.

I remember it being played at Boston in seventies.........................

The second line we used to sing..........: THE SHALE HAS GONE :

Good old days :)

quote]

That was Reg Trotts favourite when they handed him his glasses!!!!!

quote]

That was Reg Trotts favourite when they handed him his glasses!!!!!

after he retired from refereeing then.....

Monday Monday (mamma's & pappa's?) always reminds me of speedway as it's been played at Reading for years.

Perfect by Fairground Attraction is another one, played every time Per Jonsson won a heat at Smallmead (anyone around Smallmead during the early 90's must know that song off by heart... we heard it often enough :D )

I think I'm in the minority up here but I don't like Edinburghs although at least we have our own identity.  Just how many tracks play Eye of the Tiger? lol

Ahhh you mean the "Black Bear" :?: ;) I am afraid the powers that be won't part with that "tune" as it is steeped in history.

The songs that remind me of the speedway are "I am the one and only" (Peter Carr's signature tune) and quite recently "Bat out of hell" seeing as it's Magnus' signature tune and he is winning quite a lot :approve:;)

I wanna be a speedway rider.........Didn't John McNeil have a dabble in the charts with that one..............Or how about .......Speedway..by Egon Muller :roll:

John McNeil did have a song called " I wanna be like Ivan Mauger" and it was quite good, in an Aussie sort of way, brought to you by your friendly #7. I still like I'm too sexy by Right Said Fred, man.. What a macho song... :)

Cheers Sandman.........Knew it was something like that ..........Did you know Mr McNeil was one of the first riders to buy his own contract..............Did this just before he came to Hull in the seventies........Or do you know different???????????????

I got a record by Reg Luckhurst called Speedway will have to check the B side but think it's who's sorry now lol

it's so embarassing -

It's Reach For the Stars @ Oxo ...

John McNeil also had a coupla other songs about speedway - one I remember vividly was "I Ride At Number 7"

He was over our house one afternoon /night when he was staying with Glyn Taylor who used to live around the corner, bought his guitar along and was brlliant. Me and my brother keep asking him to play "I wanna be like Ivan Mauger" & "I ride at number seven" time & time again (we were only about 8 & 11 at the time) he must of played them at least 10 times that night.

Happy Days :D

I ride at number seven

I'm always at the back

When i ride at Hackney......and so on

Last season (when Brough actually had some sense of organization) our riders all had a song each to be played when they won.

Compton and Kev's were defo the best, (One Vision - Queen & Living On A Prayer - Bon Jovi), they'll always remind me of speedway, and really get me in the mood for watching the racing.

Bjerre's song however was a crime against society, and to make it worse he won 4/5 races a night! So last season I got to listen to 'Scream if you wanna go faster' by Geri Halliwell 4 or 5 times every Monday night, every week! If Newcastle ever go back to this, someone please shoot me!

Also, rather strangely, 'The Riverboat Song' by Ocean Colour Scene reminds me of Speedway. It was playing in our car on the way home from Cardiff this year, and I was a wee bit too excited as it was my first time at Cardiff. Anyhow, I ended up singing along stupid words to the whole song, (pretty good actually, they rhymed and everything!). This was complete with me singing over the top of the guitar rift 'ding Nicki won ding ding, ding Nicki won ding ding.':oops:

I hang my head in embarressment...I wasn't even drunk either :lol:

I do remember the "Monday, Monday" from Reading in the good old days when I seemed to travel up there a lot!

The only thing that really reminds me of Poole Speedway is when I hear Piano Music and it takes me back to the 70's sat in the grandstand! Those were the bad days!!!!!!!

Also "Rock Lobster" and "LoveShack" remind me of the late 80's with the on-slaught of the Aussies over here - bless them one and all !! :)