British Speedway Forum
Guest bluesboyfil

what song reminds you of speedway

there are a few that trigger memories from over the years, wipeout that used to be played at Cradley Heath after a 5-1 much to the displeasure of away team fans, simply the best gives me visions of Sam Ermolenko sat on top of a tractor draped in american flags after wolves won the league, we are the champions was played after most of the old one day world finals but to me it willl always mean erik gundersen at bradford. And of course were gonna win by bryan adams for mark loram when we all knew he could do it

Er

"Boys of Summer" of which there are several versions, although my favourite is by the Ataris.

"Catch" by Kosheen, ya know, "out of my way i'm coming, i'm gonna catch you if i can".

And oddly enough, the one that reminds me of the BSPA

"Free Speech for the Dumb" by Metallica

'Wheels' - which was the Berwick Bandits theme tune - and still is after 45 years!

Also, for some reason, 'The Banner Man' by Blue Mink.

It doesn't matter where I hear these tunes now, they transport me, in an instant, straight back to Shielfield Park in the days of Doug Wyer, Maury Robinson, Mark Hall, Roy Williams ...

Don't get me started.

Er

"Boys of Summer" of which there are several versions, although my favourite is by the Ataris.

"Catch" by Kosheen, ya know, "out of my way i'm coming, i'm gonna catch you if i can".

And oddly enough, the one that reminds me of the BSPA

"Free Speech for the Dumb" by Metallica

'Wheels' - which was the Berwick Bandits theme tune - and still is after 45 years!

Also, for some reason, 'The Banner Man' by Blue Mink.

It doesn't matter where I hear these tunes now, they transport me, in an instant, straight back to Shielfield Park in the days of Doug Wyer, Maury Robinson, Mark Hall, Roy Williams ...

Don't get me started.

Interesting to see this thread revived after a 10 year gap! As the saying goes something like "you can't beat a good old one!"

For the oldies ". The Post Horn Gallop" at Wembley as the riders came out on the track At the end of the race a cannon used to go off.

For the not quite so oldies "A walk in the black forest " at Ipswich.

Chart hits played at Custom House in 1971 that always remind me of West Ham Speedway include:

Cracklin' Rose (Neil Diamond)

Chirpy Chirpy Cheep Cheep (Middle of the Road)

Rose Garden (Lynn Anderson)

Edited by tmc

hi tony, i remember middle of the road being played at west ham. three others that spring to mind are rocket man at rayleigh, because they're young at crayford and don't leave me this way at white city.

Another couple from the '71 season at West Ham & Hackney:

If Not For You (Olivia Newton John)

Sugar Sugar (The Archies) - sure this was played at the tracks even though it was No.1 in Oct 1969.

Knock Three Times (Dawn)

whenever i hear tony blackburns retro chart shows featuring summer charts from 1968 onwards i'm magically transported back to the back straight stand at cleveland park. There's a five a side pitch there now!

Haven't trawled back through this thread to see if this has already been mentioned, but 'Fanfare for the Common Man' is eternally wired into my brain as a Speedway tune. Not one that is heard very often but the tune immediately conjures up images of the good old Hyde Road days. Quite a few 80's tracks do this too but annoyingly the songs/artists are refusing to co-operate with my memory.

There is another one springing to mind that I can't for the life of me recall the name of. Perhaps some Belle Vue fan can make sense of my inane attempts at translating the tune into writing...

Dum dum de dum dum

Ner na ner na ner ner ner.

Anyone?!

Edited by Tkdandy

Entry of the Gladiators at Sunderland

and

Knock three times.

If I ever hear either of them on the wireless - I am transported, in my mind, back to Sunderland Speedway. :t:

I thought it was only me - great to know others have the same experience. :t::approve:

Haven't trawled back through this thread to see if this has already been mentioned, but 'Fanfare for the Common Man' is eternally wired into my brain as a Speedway tune. Not one that is heard very often but the tune immediately conjures up images of the good old Hyde Road days. Quite a few 80's tracks do this too but annoyingly the songs/artists are refusing to co-operate with my memory.

There is another one springing to mind that I can't for the life of me recall the name of. Perhaps some Belle Vue fan can make sense of my inane attempts at translating the tune into writing...

Dum dum de dum dum

Ner na ner na ner ner ner.

Anyone?!

Tokyo Melody, I think it was called. It was used to introduce TV coverage of the Tokyo Olympics in 1964. I remember it from my first visits to Hyde Road in 1967.

Regards

Frank

• Like 1