British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Sandor Levai

Does anyone know if Sandor is still with us

G/Day BobB. ;)

I just asked Greg your question, he says the last he was told Sandor was in the USofA .... He also said he will dig out his 60th party photos of him with the old Halifax team m8's.... I'm on the case.. B)

Regards.

I was informed last year that Sandor was back in Hungary for a holiday.

I have heard nothing since however.

When, incidentally, did he ride for Halifax as I don't recall this

I remember when Sandor Levai and his pal Zeke Zoltan arrived in UYK in 1956, just after the Budapest uprising in Hungary against the Russians.

I played a small in hand in initially getting both of them second-half rides at Belle Vue (thanks to my then contacts with Johnnie Hoskins).

Apart from that, I had little to do with either of them. Zoltan soon dropped out of British speedway but Levai had quite an impressive career at various tracks over the years.

Look forward to reading more about him on the BSF.

I know the first chances came Sandor's way at Belle Vue but they came to nothing really. He also rode at Brafield (I think) and Stoke in the Provincial days. In 1964 Sandor came into the Norwich team at no. 8 when George Major left to return to the "Black" Provincial League". He also rode a number of times at non-league Rye House with some success that season. This gave him the first real breakthrough. Sandor was a no-nonsense rider and was referred to as "taking no prisoners" on or off track. His best night for the Stars was a 9 point score at Coventry. Following the demise of the Stars Sandor rode with some distinction for Newport, Ipswich and Cradley that I know of.

Thanx Trackman good day to you too-will be interested in anything further-I recall Sandor as the top rider for Newport for a while-I had wondered if he'd returned to Hungary with the fall of communism.

Thanx Trackman good day to you too-will be interested in anything further-I recall Sandor as the top rider for Newport for a while-I had wondered if he'd returned to Hungary with the fall of communism.

I have a hazy recollection that after retirement he owned a garage-car workshop business in Sheffield. :unsure:

I also heard that. I think it was in the area of Sheffield where the family business of the late Fred Rogers was also situated

I also heard it was in Birmingham however

I do seem to remember him having garage in Sheffield, some years ago, although I don't think that he has it now, I think that near to the Sheffild United football ground.

I know the first chances came Sandor's way at Belle Vue but they came to nothing really. He also rode at Brafield (I think) and Stoke in the Provincial days. In 1964 Sandor came into the Norwich team at no. 8 when George Major left to return to the "Black" Provincial League". He also rode a number of times at non-league Rye House with some success that season. This gave him the first real breakthrough.  Sandor was a no-nonsense rider and was referred to as "taking no prisoners" on or off track. His best night for the Stars was a 9 point score at Coventry. Following the demise of the Stars Sandor rode with some distinction for Newport, Ipswich and Cradley that I know of.

I do remember a Hungarian rider at Brafield, but I don't think it was Sandor Levai. Would have been in the mid-1960s.

Edited by speedyguy

Was it Laszlo Munkasci at Brafield-??not sure my spelling is correct

Cannot confirm the spelling. Remember a similar name, but not Sandor Levai there?

But I do remember Paddy Mills promoting a team there that included Vic Hall and Neil Roberts among others.

More about dear old Sandor Levai though, please.

Yeah, definitely Laszlo Munkasci at the Badgers in the mid 60's.

Also rode for Belle Vue in '66 and Nelson in '68.

It was definitely Laslo

Paddy Mills ran the Brafield Flying Foxes and had trouble which caused his license to be rescinded. The team nearly moved to Earls Barton, but the split caused the S A L a lot of trouble.

Neil Roberts was skipper of the Southern Rovers, the team formed by the remains of Brafield. His son is doing the rounds nowadays

It was definitely Laslo

Paddy Mills ran the Brafield Flying Foxes and had trouble which caused his license to be rescinded. The team nearly moved to Earls Barton, but the split caused the S A L a lot of trouble.

Neil Roberts was skipper of the Southern Rovers, the team formed by the remains of Brafield. His son is doing the rounds nowadays

Neil Roberts was 'one of the nice guys' in speedway in the mid-1950s. He was really dedicated to the sport. He always had a friendly word for me!!