British Speedway Forum
BOBBATH

Ronnie Genz(reg Neal) Alive Or Dead

Is Ronnie still around-does anybody remember that in 1964 if an NL rider appeared on PL trax they were blacklisted-Ron stayed with the NL(Oxford) but then appeared (I think at Exeter)- at a black track-under the assumed name of Reg Neal-I know he scored 4 points in the meeting he appeared in-which surprised me-cos I thought NL riders were so much better than PL riders. Anyway Ron was a great guy and I hope he's still alive and kickin'.I recall him as a top rider for Poole in 1965 Anybody in Forumland know what this great rider is now doing.

Ronnie is still alive and living in Ilford. I don't know what he's up to these days.

would hate to hazard a guess at his age, i thought he was old when he rode for the wasps in1972,and that year i think he finished the season either no1 or 2,mind you anybody with grey hair always looked old to me then,now it`s just naturally tinted :unsure:

It was 7 Sept 1964 against Middlesbrough

Actually "Reg" didn't do too bad, he scored 4+2 from 3 rides.

Even then, some riders had problems with the Exeter track!

Thanx all- I reckon Ron was about the same vintage as Colin(Joe) Goody-and he was born in 1935 or so.

Colin Gooddy - there was a great favourite at Sunday afternoon speedway at Eastbourne in the 60's, along with Pete Jarman, Jim Heard, Ron Swaine etc

Not to mention those young Dugard brothers, Bob and John. Now that was cut-throat racing, when those two raced each other!

Bob, of course, still bombs around Arlington, I'm sure he must hold the track record for a tractor driver.

Wasn't Colin a member of the Oxford title winning team of 64 with Ronnie Genz and then became a top rider at Exeter in the first BL years.

Is Ronnie still around-does anybody remember that in 1964 if an NL rider appeared on PL trax they were blacklisted-Ron stayed with the NL(Oxford) but then appeared (I think at Exeter)- at a black track-under the assumed name of Reg Neal-I know he scored 4 points in the meeting he appeared in-which surprised me-cos I thought NL riders were so much better than PL riders. Anyway Ron was a great guy and I hope he's still alive and kickin'.I recall him as a top rider for Poole in 1965 Anybody in Forumland know what this great rider is  now doing.

Hi Bobath,

you have made my day asking about Genno!

I first saw him in 1959 for Cheetahs and I was 11. From then I went to watch him at every track in Britain. He was my idol.

I could not believe it about 3 years ago on a bank holiday Monday at Reading I was looking down towrds the pits and saw Alf Weedon (Gennos Father in Law) taking apicture of Todd Wiltshire with this grey haired guy and just wondered?

When he came closer I just knew it was Genno and asked him just to be certain and he said " Dont know why Alf keeps introducing these riders to me because they will have never heard of me".

When he moved on, I ran around to the main stand, climbed the stairs to the Announcers box and told them they had a 'Legend' at the track.

They announced it and when Genno walked around the Greyhound track so many Oxford supporters came over to shake his hand.

Very moving and tahnk you for bringing his name to this Forum.

Brian Hamilton

My pleasure Brian and greetings from Canada-I think it important these 50's 60's guys are not forgotten-also a piece of data for me-I never knew Alf was Ronnie's father in law.I am looking at a prog 28/7/65 Semi final of WC at Poole-Ron scored 10 pts(he was a Poole rider that year)-finishing ahead of Barry Briggs in Heat 15 -he qualified for British Final at West Ham-it was rained off and held a week later-sadly Ron only got 1 pt which shows the quality of the competition. I remember Ron personally as a really tough guy at that time-with thick black hair-guess its white now as you say.Good for you for announcing his presence at the track.

My pleasure Brian and greetings from Canada-I think it important these 50's 60's guys are not forgotten-also a piece of data for me-I never knew Alf was Ronnie's father in law.I am looking at a prog 28/7/65 Semi final of WC at Poole-Ron scored 10 pts(he was a Poole rider that year)-finishing ahead of Barry Briggs in Heat 15 -he qualified for British Final at West Ham-it was rained off and held  a week later-sadly Ron only got 1 pt which shows the quality of the competition. I remember Ron personally as a really tough guy at that time-with thick black hair-guess its white now as you say.Good for you for announcing his presence at the track.

He had looks like a film star.

Ron's first wife died very early on and he remarried Alf's daughter.

I am at the office now, but if my memory serves me correctly, the year you are on a bout, he actually finished 2nd overall in the Qualifying rounds of the UK rounds.

In 1961 he qualified as reserve for Gothenberg but could not go as he needed more surgery on his eyes which had been a problem for a few years previous.

I think 3 or 4 riders tied in the BritishFinal at Wembley on 7 points and he missed out on a Final 16 place as heat winners took preference.

Thje year Briggo won the title in Poland in 1964 Briggo was riding for Swindon and Oxford tied 45 all at Swindon in the KO Cup and Genno beat Briggo twice that night by at least 25 yards.

Sorry, you have got me going now.

Great memories Brian-one small correction respectfully submitted-I think Briggo won the 64 World Final in Gothenburg Sweden

Great memories Brian-one small correction respectfully submitted-I think Briggo won the 64 World Final in Gothenburg Sweden

Hi Bobbath,

Some things are clear in my head and some unfortunately misty.......

Best wishes

Brian