British Speedway Forum
uglydave

Jack Millen

Monarchs.... Sunderland....

Sunderland(71,72,73),Crewe(71,74),Wolves(71,76),Hackney(72,76),KingsLynn(72),Rea

ding(73),Stoke(75,76),WhiteCity(76),Newport(76),Edinburgh(77),Berwick(78)

• Like 1

For all his antics on track was sad that he died quite young in a car crash but always had a funny story to tell a real character which s/way lacks these days IMO anyway!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

didn't he smash one of the lights which were hovering over the track at Powderhall?

extremely vague childhood memory :oops:

didn't he smash one of the lights which were hovering over the track at Powderhall?

Not much he hasn't done but he did thump his promoter at Stoke( who's name escapes me was either Bragg or Blagg I think) once during an arguement.Gave him a lovely black eye for his trouble they did kiss and make up though Jack was like that!!!!!!!!! :)

He certainly did - at least once! It was in a match against Weymouth (2nd half I think). He got excluded, took exception to the exclusion light and smashed the lot with a rake taken from one of the start gate staff.

Great character - never a dull moment when he was in a meeting. :)

Best memory of the late great Crazy jack was at odsal when he fell on the first bend and broke a collarbone. He was sitting on the track waiting for the race to be stopped but it was'nt. A well meaning St Johns man ran onto the track and grabbed Jacks injured arm and tried to pull him up. Jack got up allright and kicked the poor old guy up the backside as they left the track. Great guy, sad loss. :)

Millen the Villain. Now there is a subject for a book.

Are you listening Tony Mac ?????....!!!

Bob Ferry has written two books on the late Jack Millen. "Crazy Jack" and "Millen, Both Sides Of The Track". As well as doing an article on him in one of the early additions of Backtrack.

• Like 1

Bob Ferry has written two books on the late Jack Millen.  "Crazy Jack" and "Millen, Both Sides Of The Track".  As well as doing an article on him in one of the early additions of Backtrack.

Fantastic !

I do recall the Backtrack article - an appetiser if ever there was one. I also recall George Barclay had an anecdote or two about Jack in one of Ivan Mauger's Speedway Extravagana's.

Have you any more news about the books as I haven't heard of them & would be most interested ?

Cheers