British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Racer X

Reading Individual On Monday

Reading were programmed not to have a fixture on Monday after the first meeting under the new Promotion fell victim to the weather last Monday.

The field has yet to be confirmed but it will give the Reading fans a chance to come out and see some speedway under the new Legg / Holloway banner.

With seven EL sides riding on Monday the options for Reading to stage an extra fixture were severely limited and this was taken as the best option for Wellie and co.

Hopefully the event will be attended by a decent crowd and will give the new guys a boost.

It is the intetion not to satge more than one meeting in a week under the new people, but the fixture list may force the new Promotion's hand on this one I understand.

Good luck to Mark Legg and Wellie - they deserve a decent crowd for giving the Reading public a meeting at very short notice as this was programmed as a blank Monday.

PRESS RELEASE:

Following the rained-off Elite League clash against Peterborough, new Racers’ boss Malcolm Holloway has acted quickly by slotting in an individual event at Smallmead Stadium on Monday 2 July. The meeting is in honour of the popular American rider Denny Pyeatt, who tragically lost his life following a track accident while representing the Racers in a British League fixture at Hackney in July 1982.

Next Monday’s event will feature as many past and present Reading riders as Holloway can possibly enlist, and will be run over the traditional 20-heat format for an individual meeting. It is hoped to confirm the line-up in a further press release, either on Wednesday or Thursday.

The new Reading promoter commented: ‘It was a blow losing this Monday’s fixture to the weather and I didn’t want to wait another fortnight before running a meeting. Monday night is the traditional speedway night at Reading and I wanted to fit something in for all the fans who have been so supportive since Mark Legg and I took over the running of the club.’

Edited by Racer X

Well done to the new promotion at Raeding. Thats a positive way to get their tenure underway. At least they want to give the fans regular racing and this is a fitting event to get things started.

Good Luck to all at the Racers.

It is the intetion not to satge more than one meeting in a week under the new people, but the fixture list may force the new Promotion's hand on this one I understand.

I see no reason why the new Promotion should run more than once a week and on any night other than a Monday. With some careful juggling of the existing fixture list, the teams out of play-off contention could visit Smallmead after the cut off date for the play-offs. This, of course, will be largely dependent upon the co-operation of the other EL tracks so I won't hold my breath.

Hoping to get along to this.

Should be a good weekend... the PL Paris at Somerset on Friday, Cardiff on Saturday, the first meeting back at Oxford on Sunday when we entertain Buxton, and then the first meeting for the new Reading promotion on Monday.

Should make up for nearly a month without watching any Speedway (the British Final is my only meeting since Oxford's temporary closure), now I hope the weather will behave itself!!

All the best

Rob

Hoping to get along to this.

Should be a good weekend... the PL Paris at Somerset on Friday, Cardiff on Saturday, the first meeting back at Oxford on Sunday when we entertain Buxton, and then the first meeting for the new Reading promotion on Monday.

Should make up for nearly a month without watching any Speedway (the British Final is my only meeting since Oxford's temporary closure), now I hope the weather will behave itself!!

All the best

Rob

Be good to see you back at the plush Smallmead surroundings Robert!

Latest on the meeting is:

IDEAL VIDEO TO SPONSOR DENNY PYEATT MEMORIAL!

Great news from Reading Speedway headquarters is that Ideal Video, a long-standing sponsor of the club, has added their backing to next Monday’s Denny Pyeatt Memorial meeting. Ideal Video Managing Director Bob Simmonds is a long-term supporter of the Racers and is delighted to sponsor a meeting in memory of a rider, who regrettably lost his life after a track crash whilst riding for the Berkshire club.

Promoter Malcolm Holloway said: ‘This is brilliant and I’m very grateful to Ideal Video for backing the meeting. I met Bob at our recent away match at Lakeside and he has so much enthusiasm for the Racers. He wished me well on the night and it’s wonderful that we have such loyal people involved with the club. Bob’s sponsorship is a massive boost as we embark on our first home meeting since Mark Legg and I took over the running of the club. I can’t thank Bob enough, it’s simply wonderful.’

DENNY PYEATT MEMORIAL SPONSORED BY IDEAL VIDEO, SMALLMEAD STADIUM, MONDAY 2 JULY, TAPES-UP 7.30 p.m.

LINE-UP: (in draw order): 1. Cory Gathercole; 2. Phil Morris; 3. Jason Bunyan; 4. Mark Lemon; 5. Lee Complin; 6. Kyle Legault; 7. Ben Wilson; 8. Jason Doyle; 9. Rusty Harrison; 10. Chris Schramm; 11. Andy Smith; 12. Paul Fry; 13. Ben Barker; 14. Krzysztof Stojanowski; 15. Travis McGowan; 16. Tom P. Madsen; Reserves: Billy Legg and Nicki Glanz.

Well done to the new Reading promotion on putting this meeting together at such short notice. I have been missing regular Speedway over the last few weeks so am looking forward to this.

Looking at the fixture list I think they will struggle to have a regular Monday slot at home for the rest of the season with 3 away matches currently scheduled on a Monday plus home matches to be arranged against both Belle Vue and Wolverhampton.

Haywood

Be good to see you back at the plush Smallmead surroundings Robert!

Latest on the meeting is:

IDEAL VIDEO TO SPONSOR DENNY PYEATT MEMORIAL!

Great news from Reading Speedway headquarters is that Ideal Video, a long-standing sponsor of the club, has added their backing to next Monday’s Denny Pyeatt Memorial meeting. Ideal Video Managing Director Bob Simmonds is a long-term supporter of the Racers and is delighted to sponsor a meeting in memory of a rider, who regrettably lost his life after a track crash whilst riding for the Berkshire club.

Promoter Malcolm Holloway said: ‘This is brilliant and I’m very grateful to Ideal Video for backing the meeting. I met Bob at our recent away match at Lakeside and he has so much enthusiasm for the Racers. He wished me well on the night and it’s wonderful that we have such loyal people involved with the club. Bob’s sponsorship is a massive boost as we embark on our first home meeting since Mark Legg and I took over the running of the club. I can’t thank Bob enough, it’s simply wonderful.’

DENNY PYEATT MEMORIAL SPONSORED BY IDEAL VIDEO, SMALLMEAD STADIUM, MONDAY 2 JULY, TAPES-UP 7.30 p.m.

LINE-UP: (in draw order): 1. Cory Gathercole; 2. Phil Morris; 3. Jason Bunyan; 4. Mark Lemon; 5. Lee Complin; 6. Kyle Legault; 7. Ben Wilson; 8. Jason Doyle; 9. Rusty Harrison; 10. Chris Schramm; 11. Andy Smith; 12. Paul Fry; 13. Ben Barker; 14. Krzysztof Stojanowski; 15. Travis McGowan; 16. Tom P. Madsen; Reserves: Billy Legg and Nicki Glanz.

no zagar,no simota,no hancock,no irony? :o

Edited by Dietbowers

:blink: Yeah can imagine the result of the meeting would go down to the wire with the likes of Greg & Matej lining up in it.

In case you've been living in some parallel universe for the past couple of weeks, you might like to know that Greg isn't riding in the UK at the moment.

Seems like the news of Reading's financial troubles missed you too, so no, it's not really ironic or completely unexpected that there's no Matej or Sam riding when you consider the points money & travel expenses that would have been incurred had they been asked to ride.

:blink:  Yeah can imagine the result of the meeting would go down to the wire with the likes of Greg & Matej lining up in it.

In case you've been living in some parallel universe for the past couple of weeks, you might like to know that Greg isn't riding in the UK at the moment. 

Seems like the news of Reading's financial troubles missed you too, so no, it's not really ironic or completely unexpected that there's no Matej or Sam riding when you consider the points money & travel expenses that would have been incurred had they been asked to ride.

and they are not reading drawcards are they,give the punters something to cling on to for gods sake,what you have there is more or less another welsh open championship.how long has zagar ridden for reading,if the reading people don`t know of him mow they never will,sell your best asset and you might just be surprised at the amount of people you get through the gate.

Incase you have bene living under a rock.

FINAL : Chris Harris, GREG HANCOCK, Jason Crump, Leigh Adams :P

Sorry, had to be done, naught I know and consider my wrists slapped.

Looks like a solid line up, my tip? Trav and then Lee Complin.

Edited by SCB

and they are not reading drawcards are they,give the punters something to cling on to for gods sake,what you have there is more or less another welsh open championship.how long has zagar ridden for reading,if the reading people don`t know of him mow they never will,sell your best asset and you might just be surprised at the amount of people you get through the gate.

I think the fact that we still have a team to support with a promoter/team manager in charge who seems to give a sh!t is more of a draw card than anything.

If our new promotion went down the same route as BSI of throwing money at the club (and that's what they'd be doing by including Zagar & Simota in this line up) in a hope that it would bring in more fans I don't think we'd have to worry about how many people come through the gate because it would be locked with the "Closed" sign pinned firmly to it.

If Reading drop to the PL next season because it's more financially viable & sell Matej, Janusz, Travis etc so be it. Surprisingly enough people came to watch speedway at smallmead before we had these riders as assets and people will still support Reading speedway after they've gone. The only rider who's ever affected Reading crowds in the past 20 years or so was Per Jonsson, and with all due respect neither Matej, Sam or even Greg could match the passion that Reading fans had for Per.

I don't honestly think that any new comers who attend this meeting would be overly impressed at seeing a couple of GP riders blitz the rest of the line up either, where as the riders named as competing look like they could just serve up a bit of close racing entertainment.

SCB - You been hit by a pedantic stick lately?

Is there anyone going to this meeting who would be able to text updates to the updates site? If so, could you please either leave a message here or send me an email or pm.

Thanks

I actually think that looks quite an attractive meeting and might have gone along had I been able. Would have particularly liked to have kept an eye on the progress of Cory Gathercole and Lee Complin.

If the likes of Hancock and Zagar were riding it would have unbalanced the field dramatically. I think, bearing in mind the lack of available riders, that it's better the way it is.

A shame Bobby Schwartz isn't there, but I expect it's too short notice for his inclusion.

Come on Cory!!

SCB - You been hit by a pedantic stick lately?

LATELY??? :D Not been on here long? :P

I actually think that looks quite an attractive meeting and might have gone along had I been able. Would have particularly liked to have kept an eye on the progress of Cory Gathercole and Lee Complin.

If the likes of Hancock and Zagar were riding it would have unbalanced the field dramatically. I think, bearing in mind the lack of available riders, that it's better the way it is.

A shame Bobby Schwartz isn't there, but I expect it's too short notice for his inclusion.

Come on Cory!!

Thanks for this Grachan - a nice sensible post.

There's no way that it would have made any sense to fly in Simota or Zagar. The meeting is an eleventh hour thing (hardly comparable to the six months run the Welsh Open has for goodness sakes!) and the thing is being run on a budget anyway.

Certain people on here seem to want to put the boot in at every opportunity - very disappointing indeed, they don't do themselves any favours at all.

I too think it is a huge shame that Bobby Schwartz isn't here but like I said this meeting was arranged in days and that was always unlikely to happen.

I am very much looking forward to seeing Lee Complin and Ben Barker measure up against the field.