British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

New-look Retro Speedway Website

Just to let everyone know that our Retro Speedway website has now been completely re-designed and relaunched today (June 27).

The Photo Gallery/Sales section is ongoing and we'll be updating it very regularly, so worth a look there every now and again to see what great pics from the past have been added since your previous visit. There are literally thousands of pics to be scanned and displayed on site, so please bear with us...we'll get round to your personal favourites sooner or later! It will quickly become the most visually nostalgic speedway site to be found anywhere. Club galleries updated today are: Belle Vue, Coventry, Cradley, Canterbury and Crayford, with more to follow tomorrow...

I'm also trying to get most of my audio taped interviews from Backtrack (with the likes of Mauger, Michanek, Wilson, Lee, Jessup, Simmo, etc, etc) converted to the correct audio format, which will enable you to download and listen to segments of the tapes, to add a further touch of authenticity. Wait for the girls to go weak at the knees as smoothie Anders talks about his time in speedway!

You will also notice our new Retro Speedway Club (free to join) and a Readers' Questionnaire for you to complete online if and when you get the time. All part of our efforts to interract better with our customers/readers.

We've also added a secure server PayPal system, so that people can now purchase books, magazines and other items from our site using their debit/credit card with much more confidence than before.

Please let us know what you think...

Cheers,

TMc

Website link:

http://www.retro-speedway.com

Edited by tmc

Can forum members please help us to identify some of the riders pictured in our Retro Speedway Photo Gallery?

There are a number of riders who are, as yet, 'unknown', including a few in the Canterbury, Birmingham, Weymouth and Long Eaton galleries.

If anyone can put names to the coded numbers next to the 'unknowns', we'll be very grateful and can immediately give the riders concerned their correct ID.

There are many, many more pics to be added yet on all teams, so keep looking...

Edited by tmc

Can forum members please help us to identify some of the riders pictured in our Retro Speedway Photo Gallery?

Even though he didn't appear for them in 1983, Canterbury 83-3 is Graham Knowler - the beard and blue leathers give it away!

Weymouth 83-1 is Chris Martin.

Canterbury 85-9 is Lawrie Bloomfield. I thought it was him from the start, but even though you have a portrait of him in different leathers (same handlebars, though), I did find a photo of him in those exact leathers.

Canterbury 80-1 is Tony Reynolds (confirmed in a Crusaders team photo online).

Steve

Edited by chunky

Weymouth 83-1 is Chris Martin. A New Zealander he was a regular in the Weymouth 1983 team. I think that was the only year in which he rode in the UK. It was definitely the only year in which he rode for Weymouth. A good rider, good team man and a real nice bloke.

I think the Birmingham rider is Ian Stead, not certain though...

Best guess for the Long Eaton rider is Glenn Parrott, pretty certain about that one.

I think the Birmingham rider is Ian Stead, not certain though...

Best guess for the Long Eaton rider is Glenn Parrott, pretty certain about that one.

Glen Parrott was the only logical choice for me, too, even though the name "Glenn" is apparently incorrectly spelled on his leathers. I also wondered about Ian Stead, although I never really knew which one was which!

Steve

Sorry to be a wet blanket but although the retro site is great in concept, like all books, clips & photos on the Forum, one would think that speedweay only started in the 70s.

Brian

Sorry to be a wet blanket but although the retro site is great in concept, like all books, clips & photos on the Forum, one would think that speedweay only started in the 70s.

I think you are being a little premature there, Brian. There are a number of photos and programmes from the 60's also. I'm sure the site will expand to cover earlier years, but you have to remember that information from the 60's and later is far more readily accessible tha the older stuff.

Steve

Brian

I think you'll find the BackTrack magazine is specifically aimed at the 1970s and 1980s period. I believe it states this on the front cover.

Edited by -DelBoyRodders-

Yes, but the retro-speedway site also covers the VSM as well which goes back to the beginning.

Incidentally, I think the site is looking really good now, Tony. And when you do get a bit more of the vintage stuff on it will be even better! :)

Thanks to all for resolving the 'mystery men'. We'll be uploading another batch of pics late tonight, including lots more for Exeter, Cradley & Coventry, plus a few Crayford 'unknowns' who need to be identified...

Brian & Norm . . . there are also a lot of pre-70s images to be added in the future, but we're starting with those 70s-80s rider pics that have already been converted from negs to scans for expediency.

TMc

Edited by tmc

We'll be uploading another batch of pics late tonight, including lots more for Exeter, Cradley & Coventry, plus a few Crayford 'unknowns' who need to be identified...

OK Tony, I'll be waiting...

Steve

Exeter 80-1..Keith Wright

Weymouth-1 Action is John Barker...Arena rider Bob Humphries

Barrow-BIR7..Mike Sampson

Sorry Tony, you got me stumped with the Kestrels there...

Steve