British Speedway Forum
Gaz W

Just The One

Having read the post about New Zealand riders riding over here, and being surprised at how many there were, I wondered if there are many countries that have had just one rider ride over here? For example was Rene Aas the only Estonian to ride in the British leagues?

Having read the post about New Zealand riders riding over here, and being surprised at how many there were, I wondered if there are many countries that have had just one rider ride over here? For example was Rene Aas the only Estonian to ride in the British leagues?

What about that fella called, I think, Marshall Pugh who came from Majorca.

There was a burdgeoning scene on the sunshine holiday isle in the early '70s (whatever came of the track(s)!!??) and Johnnie Hoskins had Pugh over riding a few times at Kingsmead..

I suppose he was Spanish, was he..? :unsure:

I remember the Jimmy Ogisu story in mid sixties-but wasn't it just a stunt??

G/Day BB

Jimmy rode in OZ at Liverpool Speedway in the 60"s........ :lol:

Regards.

Maybe it was, but other than riding in Oz, he actually rode in the 1970 Wills Internationale at Wimbledon. He was obviously a little outclassed, but he scored a point when Reg Luckhurst packed up.

Steve

Whether you're talking league or not, there must be very, very few, who have had only one.

I don't believe Marshall Pugh was actually Spanish. However, there were a number of Spanish riders who rode in England in 1930, including "Angel Arche" and the Poto brothers.

We've had a couple of Frenchmen, several Austrians, a few Irish., and even a couple of Argentinians. For some reason though, I seem to recall something about a rider from Papua New Guinea, but I really can't come up with any more detail.

Steve

Edited by chunky

Or Ronnie Moore from Tasmania

Sorry, but Tasmania is not a country, but an Australian state.

Steve

How about Mr Lindback from Brazil or Graham Warren from Fiji?

If they were were never classed as Brazilian or Fijian, I don't think that should count. The same for Mark Loram. Simply being born somewhere else, but never having adopted that nationality, doesn't cut it.

Having said that, I don't know the full story about Antonio Lindback; is he actually Brazilian?

Steve

Guest Donsking
So why did he represent new zealand.????

Because, although he was born in Hobart, Tasmania (Australia), his family moved to New Zealand when Ronnie was in his early teens and he became a naturalised Kiwi.

Because, although he was born in Hobart, Tasmania (Australia), his family moved to New Zealand when Ronnie was in his early teens and he became a naturalised Kiwi.

Having said that, he did actually represent Australia in international competition, including one or two of his early World Finals.

Of course, there have been some other riders who have done the same thing, such as Mitch Shirra and Tadeusz Teodorowicz.

Steve