British Speedway Forum

Semion is a Geordie through and through,

I expect the young chap to own a "in the muck" T Shirt

haddaway and rubbishe am i a Geordie :D ..but i have a close relation who might be :D

..but i have a close relation who might be  :D

i thought all your close relations were still in the zoo :D

i thought all your close relations were still in the zoo  :D

who rattled your cage ? :D

I'll mention you said that, to her Honie :rolleyes:

who rattled your cage ?  :D

I'll mention you said that,  to her Honie  :rolleyes:

**note to self**

wear cricket box on wednesday

**note to self**

wear cricket box on wednesday

They make them that small now do they?

They make them that small now do they?

i wondered who the perv was trying to get a look in the Rye House toilets :blink:

i wondered who the perv was trying to get a look in the Rye House toilets  :blink:

Yeah, I'm wondering who that is too. Someone told me it was a guy with a camera round his neck at the Kings Lynn meeting ;)

Yeah, I'm wondering who that is too. Someone told me it was a guy with a camera round his neck at the Kings Lynn meeting  ;)

wasn't me then

After reading that, is Shaddy gonna out himself at last ? ...Ive had my suspicions once i saw his car.... ;)

I just wanted to make a comment if that's ok. I am lucky enough to be announcer/presenter at Somerset & I must say that for all the problems that surrounded the Oak Tree circuit that night - most of which are known by everyone now - the meeting those of us lucky enough to witness was a credit to speedway. I sincerely hope the fours will be the same.

Having said that, the opening post on this thread is a bit rich in some ways. Mr Chapman seems to want to take all the credit for the on track success of this series, & it does seem to have been well received, but you only have to look at some of the facts to see that the people who run this sport still don't have a clue on how to run it properly.

First there was the issue of who was in & who was out of the pairs, then the ridiculous situation of Craig Watson (nothing against him or Glasgow) turning out for the Tigers when he hadn't actually turned a wheel in anger for his new club.

That being the case, why wasn't Stoney allowed to turn out for Workington in the fours? Where is the difference? At least Stoney had ridden for the Comets previously!

Then the stupid wild card rule. The format for the pairs & the fours is a good one & has always been generally well received, but why for a 8 or 10 team event, do you not just pick the best 8/10 teams available, instead of choosing 7/9 & kicking the others in the teeth?

With regard to the British Final, the added "spice" of the wild card issue was somewhat diluted by the Final being staged at Wolverhampton - a track where David Howe was always going to prosper. Further, the event will never have the kudos it once did if all riders are not given the same opportunity. Why seed half the field + to the final? Why not have everyone qualify? Surely that's fairer for all, perhaps just seeding any British GP riders to the final. Why not 2 semi's & a final & maybe even a qualifier? Surely a qualifier at a conference league venue would be well supported?

Take the situation regarding Gary Havelock/Andre Compton. Now Havvy is my favourite rider & I have no feelings either way for Andre, but whay was Havvy given a seeded place & Andre none at all?

Also on the day of the British Final, I have it on good authority that a certain announcer/presenter was only asked if he could officiate on the morning of the meeting!

With regard to the pairs at Somerset, given the delays etc, the first race didn't take place until 7:45pm & given there were 24 races & a 10pm curfew the club did a fantastic job in getting the meeting completed, but that was down to the staff on duty that night & the ref speeding things along.

The organisation that evening was done in the main by the club, not by those responsible for the Super Seven. Perhaps the powers that be should consider that & similar efforts at other venues in their press release rather than trying to cover themselves in glory.

And, finally, can I just add that this is in no way an attempt to take some of the credit for the Pairs at Somerset - all I did was announce a few results & keep people informed, but there were many, many people who worked like trojans to make that event on the 29th June & I think they deserve more of the credit.

Edited by Dave the Mic

That being the case, why wasn't Stoney allowed to turn out for Workington in the fours? Where is the difference?

I totally agree if Wato rode in the Pairs then Stoney should definitely be able to race in the fours ........................ the rule is not consistant!

And, finally, can I just add that this is in no way an attempt to take some of the credit for the Pairs at Somerset - all I did was announce a few results & keep people informed, but there were many, many people who worked like trojans to make that event on the 29th June & I think they deserve more of the credit.

I wouldn't worry to much, all fans know that there's oodles of volunteers involved in speedway, without them there wouldn't be any clubs! Perhaps the BSPA/Jonathan will issue a thank you to everyone involved at the end of the series ................

Edited by Trees

That being the case, why wasn't Stoney allowed to turn out for Workington in the fours? Where is the difference? At least Stoney had ridden for the Comets previously!

Stoney WAS being allowed to ride in the fours - that was the precendent that meant that Wato got to ride in the pairs.

It was David McAllan who WAS NOT being allowed to ride in the original running of the fours as according to the powers that be he had not ridden enough meetings because he missed 2 meetings through injury - despite having ridden more than Stoney and Wato combined and the respective cut off dates! lol.

Whilst I fully agree the track at Somerset has been, on every occassion I have been, an excellent one providing good racing the fact remains that the roads infrastruicture round about cannot handle a big meeting there on a Friday night. Even when its NOT been a big meeting I have encountered travel problems every time I have been at the Oak Tree Arena whether coming from up north or from Plymouth. Sadly that is why it should not, imo, hold another big meeting. Having said that can I echo your praise of the staff at the track who not only got the meeting on but ran through it quickly and efficiaently despite the problems

Can I while I am up on this soap box give my feelings on points for the Super7 to consider? Most are in line with yours Dave to be honest:-

1. There MUST be qualifiers for the fours in the PL competition. This season has emphasised how farcical it is not to have them.

2. There MUST NOT be wildcards - you either qualify or you dont, simple.

3. For the fours, team managers should be able to CHOOSE their four for the final with the only proviso being one at least one of your top two must be in the team and at least one of the middle three. This weekend at the fours, no disrespect to those riding, but Glasgow would have been far more entertaining and provided better value for the paying public had they been able to include the on form Trent Leverington in the side rather than two riders who 'qualified' from reserve berths.

4. Similarly for the Pairs, team managers should be allowed to chose their best two out of the top three.

5. ALL meetings must be held on neutral venues - not just 6 of them!

6. When allocating venues, transport infrastructure must also be taken into account.

7. For the pairs events, you cant have qualifying rounds so it should be a clear case of a cut off date 14 days prior to the event. If the event is rained off, qualification is void and the qualification for the rescheduling is 14 days before THAT event.

Thats enough of a rant for now....oops!

Lioness, I bow to your knowledge regarding the Stoney & Wato thing & apologise for my error. I

agree with your comments regarding the event set ups, but I can't really agree with your comment about the roads.

I travel from Exmouth (just outside Exeter in Devon for those that don't know) every week & it is a 55 mile trip from my house to the OTA. It normally takes me about 50 minutes & I can honestly say that the amount of times I have encountered travel issues can be counted on the fingers of one hand. Admittedly, the people in Exmouth have 60 fingers on each hand... :unsure:

I accept however, that it is more of an issue from the north, but given around 25-30 dates a year, it is still only one or two a season where there are anything other than minor delays.

Perhaps you have just been unlucky :cry: as we were on the Pairs evening.

Maybe you should just ban me from coming Dave :wink:

It is a shame because I have loved the racing (though not always the score!) every time I have been at OTA. I know someone who used to travel regularly from Bristol who sadly no longer does, in the main because of the roads