British Speedway Forum

The Super7even series in it’s first year has surpassed all expectations according to series director Jonathan Chapman, only a year ago British Speedway was seeing a worrying trend of riders not turning up to the major events and crowds at a low level, but with 4 of the 7 events already taken place he is extremely positive about what the series has achieved so far, ‘publicity is at an all time high for these events, ask anyone in speedway what super7even is and they will be able to tell you, even more exciting than that is the fact that people outside of the sport are starting to pick up on it thanks to the publicity we have got in national papers and media, for example the sexy7even girls had an article and photo in the front part of the Daily Express, riders have been more keen than ever to take part and most importantly the fans have turned up in force with some crowds up 200% on last year!’

The series started with the Elite League Pairs which was a massive success with a good crowd and good racing, the series then moved on to the British Under 21 Final which held it’s own and provided a platform for the young Brits, unfortunately the 4 team tournament was washed out which was a huge disappointment but thankfully another date was found and when that comes up this weekend we should see another healthy crowd and some more great racing, the British Final turned back the clock and showed what we have been missing since it’s hay day back in the 90’s, and that was helped by the tie up with BSI for the top finisher to be the wild card in the GP, only this weekend gone the Premier League Pairs was successfully staged and although it wasn’t at a neutral venue it provided the best racing seen at a super7even event so far and more importantly capitalised being on the eve of the British GP with an outstanding crowd.

Super 7even admittedly has had a few small problems with a change of venue for the Elite League Riders championship due to technical difficulties and some fans not happy about the team selection process, Chapman emphasises that everything has it’s teething problems, ‘In the first year of any new venture you have teething problems, the main thing is to learn from these and the improve the product the following year, it is flattering that there has been so much debate from fans over the selection of certain riders and teams in the events because to me it shows that people are more interested then they have ever have been before, unfortunately though you can not keep everyone happy and while I appreciate peoples views I still have to stay focused on the whole picture’ he was then questioned about Redcars non-appearance in the 4’s, ‘1st time round I decided they were seriously weakened so I replaced them with another team, unfortunately the event was rained off and a lot of fans supporting the 8 teams were there, they had paid for their fuel, entrance and probably bought a programme so I decided to keep the same line up as it would be hugely inconsiderate to those people if I took their team out’. One of the things confusing people is the replacement of riders in teams that have already been announced ‘as far as I am concerned once a team has qualified and been announced in the line up they will be in the event unless they are seriously weakened, so if a rider leaves a club then his DIRECT replacement will replace him in that line up’

Asked to summarise the series so far Chapman said ‘when you put things in perspective we have achieved an incredible amount, publicity is high and crowds have increased significantly, this is because we have presented the series the right way and we have put on some great shows, I’m confident people will be coming back again and that Super7even is here to stay!’

Now THATS what I call a good press release.

Pity the BSPA site let you down by just posting that little snippet on their site.

Thank you for taking the time and trouble for posting it in full and I'm sure you will do your best to make the next step forward next season :approve:

WOW, the fans actually being listened too and having things explained.

This just won't do, burn him :D

Anything that gets us better publicity and an increase in attendances is good for speedway. Well done Jonathan Chapman. :D

Well done Jonathan Chapman for being a utter prick - how is the workington team not weakened with the Kauko out? therefore they should be out. It doesnt make any sense and that does nothing to appease the Redcar fans - who are majorly peed of with the idiot that is Chapman.

I hope it pees down on Sunday!!!

Well done Jonathan Chapman for being a utter prick - how is the workington team not weakened with the Kauko out? therefore they should be out. It doesnt make any sense and that does nothing to appease the Redcar fans - who are majorly peed of with the idiot that is Chapman.

Well it won't seriously inconvenience me as I only have 33 miles to travel but I'd hazard a guess there will be quite a few forum members not too happy with you :rolleyes:

thanks, enjoy the rest of your season :rolleyes:

Why don't you read the press release! He explain why Redcar were taken out and why the line up has not changed this time. :rolleyes:

He releases a press release, he gets slated, he says nothing he gets slated :blink::lol: unbelievable

Good on you JC, life's a learning process and no matter how old we are we all learn new things every day :)

Edited by crikeythatsfast

He releases a press release, he gets slated, he says nothing he gets slated  :blink:  :lol:  unbelievable

Good on you JC, life's a learning process and no matter how old we are we all learn new things every day  :)

Think you'll find that it was only one Redcar fan that was slating him . I think that's a great press release . A promoter willing to listen to the fans is worth his weight in gold . I take back any negative post i've made about the super7s . As he says there was teething troubles , but i agree about the crowds - i was at Somerset on Friday and the racing was wonderful and the place was packed .

I'm sure next year will be bigger and better :D

I like it, I like it.

Good to see a decent press release!

Also good to see Chappo trying to give the fans what they want.

roll on another few years of this :D

How about picking your toys up now and placing them back in your pram?

You always get one dont you, if you think you can do better I suggest you take over.

Why don't you read the press release! He explains why Redcar were taken out and why the line up has not changed this time. :rolleyes:

That's what I thought. I think simply changing the venues has made a big difference to these meetings, you have to put the big meetings on where the majority of fans want to see them and they have achieved that, well almost, although I would have been happy if the ELRC had been at Sheffield too as I have good memories of the last time it was staged there. I bet there isn't one PL fan who hasn't got good memories of when the Fours used to be held there so that was obvious choice. They have listened to the fans and it seems to have worked, if the fans are happy and up for the meetings it probably rubs off on the riders too ................ now if the riders are UP for it then we're in for a few treats :lol:

At the end of the day, if we want speedway to continue and thrive in this country we've all gotta be positive, promoters, riders and fans :approve: