British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
whippy

Disabled Parking At P'bro

Hi,

Is there anyone out there from P'bro that can advise on how near I can get to the stadium itself, main stand in the car?

It is quite a trek from the parking area, even the car park near the entrance gate. I find it quite a struggle to walk that far and now my husband has broken his ankle and is on crutches as well we are going to find it tough tomorrow if we decide to come.

If it is fine weather we would prefer to sit out but we will not be able to carry the chairs.

Even in the main stand the stairs will be a problem. Is there a disabled viewing area?

can any one advise please ? :)

Guest PanthersChamp06

Hi,

Not much help as im not 100% sure on how it runs, but at the EOES, we run a shuttle for disabled parking, this allows you to park where everyone else does or just inside the gates aslong as you have the right passes etc etc etc then the shuttle takes you to the stands.

You could sit, first/second bend but its hard to see the action as the fencing is quite high so if you wanted to sit, it really has to be on the back straight as its slightly banked. There is a disabled viewing area in the main stand, its on about the first 5 rows and is right on the start/finish line and is a superb place to sit and usually half full.

Hope that helps

Edited by PanthersChamp06

Hi,

Is there anyone out there from P'bro that can advise on how near I can get to the stadium itself, main stand in the car?

It is quite a trek from the parking area, even the car park near the entrance gate. I find it quite a struggle to walk that far and now my husband has broken his ankle and is on crutches as well we are going to find it tough tomorrow if we decide to come.

If it is fine weather we would prefer to sit out but we will not be able to carry the chairs.

Even in the main stand the stairs will be a problem. Is there a disabled viewing area?

can any one advise please ? :)

Its perhaps worth trying a amil to Jonathan Chapman although the chances of him getting it and being able to reply before tomorrow are pretty remote.

Failing that Star Lady may be a good person to ask - she did a survey on a lot of clubs disabled accesses a season or two back.

Last resort, try phoning the Showground perhaps?

Whippy, in case a Peterborough fan doesnt get on tonight I think its like this -

Drive to the main gate and they will let you park just inside. you then have to get on a bus that drives you up to the stand.

Thats how I think it will happen - but I am neither the panthers fan or in need of this service - its just from what I remember..

hope that helps

Sandie

There is a disabled viewing area in the main stand, its on about the first 5 rows and is right on the start/finish line and is a superb place to sit and usually half full.

Is there seating in this area or is it a flat area for w/chairs etc.,

Thank you everyone. all a great help. it sounds like the bus will be the best idea.

Edited by whippy

There is a disabled viewing area in the main stand, its on about the first 5 rows and is right on the start/finish line and is a superb place to sit and usually half full.

Is there seating in this area or is it a flat area for w/chairs etc.,

Thank you everyone. all a great help. it sounds like the bus will be the best idea.

Both. It has room for wheelchairs, with fold down seating as well

Edited by essaitch

I can't really add anything to what has already been posted. For the rained off meeting there was disabled parking in the car park nearest the entrance and two stewards were directing traffic, so I'd suggest asking them when you drive in. I do know that the situation is not of Peterboro's making, just their landlords imposing what to me are silly regulations.

I can't really add anything to what has already been posted. For the rained off meeting there was disabled parking in the car park nearest the entrance and two stewards were directing traffic, so I'd suggest asking them when you drive in. I do know that the situation is not of Peterboro's making, just their landlords imposing what to me are silly regulations.

Yes we parked there last time when it was raining and it is quite a hike. with it being a super 7 again I would think that will be the same arrangement. As we are both on crutches this time we will more than likely give it a miss, still not sure yet.

Thanks again every one for your help. much appreciated. :)

I do know that the situation is not of Peterboro's making, just their landlords imposing what to me are silly regulations.

Unfortunately when these landlords first arrived, all and sundry were allowed to drive in and they clearly weren't happy about if from the off. There was clearly a bust up and the landlords were virtually zero tolerance on inside parking. The then promotion made back page headlines as they threatened to take the landlords to court over not allowing disabled access when IMO the disabled were not the problem but the victims as per usual. The promotion didn't seem to have a case because nothing happened and it took the existing promotion to improve the situation to what Peterborough has now, which is good access.

They should have publicised yesterday's bus more (for people like whippy) because the view last time was that it wouldn't be there because this was a BSPA event and nothing to do with Peterborough Speedway.

Edited by Crump99

Thanks again everybody for your help.

Yes, we got there but it is a pity the bus was inside the stadium and not at the disabled car park.

I know we had to get tickets which was another trek and then 3 steps to negotiate. By the time we found were the bus was hiding behind the fence we decided to take a slow walk in stead. I am absolutley bushed today but we took our chairs, Richard went without his crutches so he could carry the chairs,made it to the first bend beside the pits and sat out in the sunshine.

I managed not to get bogged down in the car park which was a bit squidgy in places.

It is okay for the nobs and hangers on to park inside. There is plenty of room for disabled parkingas well, but this is where the reasonable access comes in to play in the Disabilies Act.

(We didn't know the bus was there until we went to get our tickets.)

cheers all. Mo

It is okay for the nobs and hangers on to park inside. There is plenty of room for disabled parkingas well, but this is where the reasonable access comes in to play in the Disabilies Act.

There has to be a balance though and there will always be people who get in and you wonder why :blink:

As you say, "reasonable" is in the Act and I think what we have meets that :unsure:

Crump 99, I had a go at the BSPA and hangers on for parking inside the EOES on another thread. In no way was I having a go at Peterboro, I understand their probs and the ways they have tried to provide the best service they can to less mobile fans. Whippy does have a valid point about the starting position of the disabled bus tho.

IMHO the action of the "I'm a promoter and will park where I like" folk simply sums up the attitude of some, and I emphasise some of the BSPA etc. i.e. they are more important than paying fans. There again perhaps they needed to park close to the track cos they stuffed themselves on the free nosh that was announced for all and sundry to hear :rolleyes:

Whippy does have a valid point about the starting position of the disabled bus tho.

When I arrived at 12 the bus was picking up someone just outside the pay booths but this perhaps would be more of a problem as the crowd increased, so it reverted to it's normal position just inside the gate. The disabled were given parking as close as possible on the day which I would imagine was more to do with Peterborough than the BSPA, perhaps not? I'm sure they'll (Peterborough that is and not the BSPA ;) ) take on board the points raised but my understanding is that there was no provision first time round, although I didn't go so can't say for sure?

Edited by Crump99