British Speedway Forum
Nevs

Bill Andrews-exeter

Received this email from a gentleman today through Exeter site.

Most of the names are familiar to me and have passed on info about Goog passing away but am stuck with Bill Andrews.-Only rider out of those named I cannot recall whose name doesnt jump out at me like the rest

I have passed on a few internet links such as County Ground years etc he may like to look through including this one.

Can anyone help on what happened to Bill Andrews to pass on to him.??

Many thanks in advance.

I will compile all responses and email them back to the gentleman.

John

"I was a regular Monday night visitor from 1953 to 1956 with my parents. My hero in those days was, Jack Hart ( I think he was an Australian or New Zealander) and of course the then Track record holder Googie Hoskins, (I think that's how you spell it) "Bronco" Slade was the manager (I think). In the early to mid 1970s you had a National Hunt Jockey ride for you called Bill Andrews, he was either an Australian or New Zealander. What happened to him? As a former National Hunt jockey myself, I rode against him on many occasions.

Anyway best of luck, look forward to seeing the Falcons once again after what will be a 52 year break! "

Edited by Nevs

Bill Andrew didn't ride for Exeter

Poole, Newport and Halifax

Bill was a new Zealander, little guy who used to double up as a horse racing jockey.

Don't remember him riding for Exeter, though.

Guest Steve Dixon

There is/was a Bill Andrew and Bill Andrews, one was a New Zealander the other a Englishman.

The NZ Bill has a website somewhere.

Are you sure you're not thinking of Bob Andrews?

Norbold:

I back you on this. There was a Bill Andrew (a good rider but no 'S' on his surname) and of course there was Bob Andrews.

Perhaps people are getting confused because Bob Andrews, born in England, later decided to emigrate to New Zealand and then rode for them in international events?

Bill Andrew was also a jockey. I didn't know he was active in the sport in GB however.

I remember Bill Andrews very well as a PL rider with Newcastle in 1964-then went to Poole-as you say he was also a jockey. In terms of tracking him down-google World Speedway Riders Association-go to their website -I'm sure one of the members could help.You can leave a request on their website. Vic White has his e-mail address on tht website and is very helpful and a good guy. In the original post it mentioned Goog passing away-does that mean Goog Hoskin has died??. After he retired Goog spent some time in Canada-does anybody know where he lived and why he returned to UK??

He always seemed to be a nice friendly guy and always had a smile.

Still does! I had a chat with him at Somerset the night before the Cardiff GP.Hes in this country for July.

In the original post it mentioned Goog passing away-does that mean Goog Hoskin has died??. After he retired Goog spent some time in Canada-does anybody know where he lived and why he returned to UK??

Goog was a regular in the bar at Exeter meetings until 2004.

He sadly died in January 2005. I am not sure about the Canadian connection or why he returned to the UK.

If I bump into Jack Geran at any future supporters events I will ask him,as he was always talking to Goog on Monday nights.

Will also ask Tony Lethbridge next time I see him.

Many thanks to everyone for their replies so far.

Edited by Nevs