British Speedway Forum

Maybe if they had opened more gates, they wouldn't have had to delay the start, therefore it would have finished earlier :rolleyes:

They didn't delay the start. 7.30 parade of riders, meeting starting shortly after :unsure:

Shazzybird

I was thinking the same.......why do people support other countries......

In all fairness if Mr Hone etc want to i have no problem with that...but why feel the need to be negative about Team GB....its not as if everyone on here is slagging the Swedes or the Russians...Indeed i think we all were overjoyed with the Russians last night...

Not sure if it is a Nicholls and Kennett thing or just not patriotic

jaybea

Shazzybird

I was thinking the same.......why do people support other countries......

In all fairness if Mr Hone etc want to i have no problem with that...but why feel the need to be negative about Team GB....its not as if everyone on here is slagging the Swedes or the Russians...Indeed i think we all were overjoyed with the Russians last night...

jaybea

I will include myself of course as being one of the 'etcs'.

Maybe because some of Team GB in the past have come across as being negative themselves imo. Nicholls in the GP's, always hoping to make the semi's? Why not the final? The best thing to happen to Team GB of late is of course Chris Harris, one Brit I do have time for and love watching ride. The reason for that is because he's exciting to watch, and that is the very same reason I love to watch the Danes ride. Excitement and the want to win.

Edited by shooting star

USA should be made to go through the qualis,like i said a few days ago.That is a disgrace that they field a team like that when others with similar or better have to qualify :angry:

I guess the United States will have to go through the qualifiers next year - they only avoided them this season by making the race-off last season. I suppose Russia will be avoiding the qualifiers next season.

oh dear, did someone say something not nice about Mr Middlo's team :D

you forgot Richardson :D

with England football, i used to go to every home game, and lots of away games following my team, shouting at away players, slagging them off, for 9 months of the year ... why do i then want to go and cheer for them for one night?

Here we go again, was waiting for that old chestnut to be brought up somewhere along the line. :D

Well in all honesty it would be nice for a reply from Steve as to why he chooses not to support the Brits.  We know he's not a fan of Middlo and he certainly doesn't rate Edward Kennett but what about the rest of the team?

Ouch that's low :shock: , but to be expected I suppose.    :D 

Not at all, it's just an example of cheering on your team/country no matter how good or bad they are. He gave 110% week in week out as do the TEAM GB lads on the track for the WTC, everyone knows I am no way ever going to be a Lee Richardson fan but when he pulls on that TEAM GB body colour he's representing us for our country and deserves to be supported by the British fans. Yes it is each to their own but to me that's why we have GP's and Teams so the best of the rest can be supported, christ this year at Cardiff I went right against the grain and at times was cheering on Bacon Balls (Except when Scott or Chris were in the race) :lol:

Shooting Star

I understand the will to win...but i dont think any rider goes in to a race without wanting to win.....You are right about Harris....superb rider ...exciting to watch...as is Scott Nicholls...i think you agree

jaybea

as is Scott Nicholls...i think you agree

shooting star will be on later ... but i think i know what the answer will be :D

Good result for GB final will be much tougher and Russia did well full deserving there spot in the raceoff and automatic qualification next year.

The thing here is some are satisfied with a supposed "glorious" failure, while others just see it as just failure. It seems to be part of the British make-up to glorify failure. As far as the SWC is concerned, anything other than a Gold Medal is failure - you can be sure that Australia, Denmark and Poland (the likely opponents on Saturday) won't be satisfied with 2nd.

Well in all honesty it would be nice for a reply from Steve as to why he chooses not to support the Brits.  We know he's not a fan of Middlo and he certainly doesn't rate Edward Kennett but what about the rest of the team?

because it's my perogative.

yeah i don't like some of the GB team, and i think it needs a fresh approach, every year it's the same thing 'who will Middlo pick this year' etc, and to be honest, with GB the team picks itself, there's no-one else able to come in and do a job.

because of this i think it's time for a change, it's all gone stale, year after year everyone creams if GB make the final, and if they get close to winning something they get treated as though they have won something ... that's the wrong way to be, 2nd is a loser, so is 3rd etc.

in Poland GB might have a chance, but i expect Harris to fly the flag, with Nicholls possibly getting double figures, and the rest tailing off quite badly.

the only way GB will do anything in Poland is if Iversen and Bjerre have a nightmare, and Australia's long tail struggle, but then i'd put more money on Australia's tail than GB's.

maybe it's about attitude, maybe it's about application, but to me, i'm not excited by watching Team GB.

on Saturday i changed my avatar to Russian because i've heard so much about some of these youngsters, and was excited and looking forward to seeing them, and last night i wasn't disappointed.

i spent the evening cheering for Russia against the USA as GB were expected to get 55 - 60, and if they didn't in that semi then they would have really needed their arses kicked.

i will spend Thursday cheering the Russians, and on Saturday i will cheer for who i want.

this comes up every year, and it's always the same people asking the questions and getting rubbishty about things, but there are people on this forum that can choose to cheer on whoever they want ... there is no rule that says if you are British you must cheer Team GB.

i don't like most of the team, i agree, but there's nothing there that makes me want to cheer for them, other than Chris Harris.

Guest Christophers Dad

Steve

I realise you were a Speedway Rider in what years were you picked to represent Great Britain? as you appear to enjoy going to all the Ex Speedway Riders Dinners.

This from a Bob Kilby No 1 Supporter did you ever race him and if you did beat him out of the gate .

"The older i get the faster i was" springs to mind :D

Guest Christophers Dad
shooting star will be on later ... but i think i know what the answer will be  :D

Busy doing the washing up :D