British Speedway Forum

The Coca-Cola stands are being re-built in order to make it a bigger capacity

The problem is because of the work on the stands there won't be a roof.So the lower capacity isn't a problem.They will still be able to host sports events.But the fact there is no roof is the problem for speedway.

What do people think about the chances of a GP being in Russia with all the big money being thrown about over there?

As far as I have heard, the problem with Russia is the security. The idea has been that the riders buses should go as a caravan from the border to the Stadium (I guess the Grand Sports Arena of the Luzhniki Olympic Complex in Moskow with 84000 seats would be a good option), just to guarantee the safety.

BUt last year I meet one of the polish GP-commentators in Latvia. She said BSI have been thinking of a race in Hungary and a smaller town in Russia. Just to invent the interest of speedway in Russia. But she was talking about 2007, and nothing happened, so the might wait another year or two, or even until Emil S is qualified :D

As far as I have heard, the problem with Russia is the security. The idea has been that the riders buses should go as a caravan from the border to the Stadium (I guess the Grand Sports Arena of the Luzhniki Olympic Complex in Moskow with 84000 seats would be a good option), just to guarantee the safety.

BUt last year I meet one of the polish GP-commentators in Latvia. She said BSI have been thinking of a race in Hungary and a smaller town in Russia. Just to invent the interest of speedway in Russia. But she was talking about 2007, and nothing happened, so the might wait another year or two, or even until Emil S is qualified :D

i Think Hungary would be a good place to go to. Dont know if they have good permanent arena or if its more appropriate to use a bigger stadium like the Nep Stadium?

Glad to hear that Cardiff is staying on the agenda, although Wembley would easier to get to, I much prefer Cardiff.

You can add Maillila to the list of defo's.

Read yesterday they have got one GP left on their contract.

What is the rumour about a GP in Spain, i am moving to Spain in 2008 so will have to fly back for Cardiff, however if there is one in Spain would be easier to fly internally and watch in Spain, any idea where don't know of many stadia with removable pitches or running tracks that can have a track layed on them.

What is the rumour about a GP in Spain, i am moving to Spain in 2008 so will have to fly back for Cardiff, however if there is one in Spain would be easier to fly internally and watch in Spain, any idea where don't know of many stadia with removable pitches or running tracks that can have a track layed on them.

Doesn't Montjuic Stadium in Barcelona still have the running track around it from 1992 Olympics?

Doesn't Montjuic Stadium in Barcelona still have the running track around it from 1992 Olympics?

Yes but it's being knocked down or so I was informed. Espanyol the sole tenant are building a new ground - might not be that site.

Anyone what goes that neck of Barcelona. Go further up the hill and look at the view. Amazing. :rolleyes:

Yes but it's being knocked down or so I was informed. Espanyol the sole tenant are building a new ground - might not be that site.

Anyone what goes that neck of Barcelona. Go further up the hill and look at the view. Amazing.  :rolleyes:

No This stadium is current rented by RCD Espanyol who had to sell their old arena and Espanyol will most likely move out 2008 or 2009. This arena will also be the host of the 2010 European Athletics championsship according to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Cham...ps_in_Athletics

Latvia have a contract now until 2009.

According to SS, big changes expected in terms of schedule.

Oh i hear we're off to sunny Spain

Olympic Stadium - Barcelona

Espanyol play here

Was looked at in 2005 and was earmarked for 2007 or 2008.

Glad to hear that Cardiff is staying on the agenda, although Wembley would easier to get to,  I much prefer Cardiff.

Where would you put a track in Wembley ?

Cardiff will be here for sometime and the only track that could stand a chance of getting the British or European GP is Odsal, but alot of work would be needed to get it back.

The problem is because of the work on the stands there won't be a roof.So the lower capacity isn't a problem.They will still be able to host sports events.But the fact there is no roof is the problem for speedway.

Sounds more like a convenient excuse to me, as GPs were previously held in stadiums without a roof. I suspect Parken is too expensive and doesn't draw big enough crowds to justify holding a GP there.

This is a one of track, if it rains it causes problems, something they have learnt from in the past. It's ok building a one off track if theres a roof as the rain won't effect it.