British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Rob B

Georgie Thompson Hosts Race Off & Final

Bloody gorgeous and professional with it, cant really ask for more really, well before 9 o'clock that is! :blink:

Me and Mr Bobbin' decided that Georgie wasn't a bad replacement for Keith Hewen. At least she didn't keep calling the pits "Pit Lane" and unlike Greeny resisted the temptation to refer to meeting as a "meet". Had the guts to admit she'd never been to speedway before, but said she enjoyed it. For Mr Bobbin's part, she was a lot easier on the eye than Keith.... :lol:

I thought she did a really good job, asked good questions - seemed natural with the riders and she was professional - liked the whole set-up in the pits...I think she actually enjoyed it :D

She's one of Sky's flag-ship female presenters - just like Gabby Y so probably has been coached in a similar way. I really don't know what people want from these anchor-men and women on speedway. They're there to link between races and make the odd comment to get riders to open up in interviews. It's all just filling in before the meeting and when track grading is going on anyway. The main thing is the racing so who really gives too hoots about how much they really now about all the ins and outs of the sport - that's for the studio experts i.e the riders, ex-riders to do. Now if the commentators didn't have a clue about the sport....oh sorry, we've already done that one to death haven't we :rolleyes:

Personally I've always liked Keith Huewen and always have done since early superbike days. Professional and shows a bit of knowledge, knows what to say to get the riders in the studio to discuss the goings-on, has a sense of humour and gives the right amount of respect to the sport. :approve:

Edited by rabbit

I thought that she was excellent; especially considering that she admitted that it was her first experience of the sport. Far better than Heuwen, Millard or Green, that's for sure. :approve:

I thought she did a good job and all credit to her saying it was her 1st taste of speedway!!

Having watched it again I was a tad too harsh on her. It was her "matter of fact" attitude which got my goat. As I said I am not a fan of the Gabby Y style of presenting.

She is better looking than Heuwen! :wink:

I thought she did very well & she is still stunning.

As for Keith. I like the fella. Couldn't we team the pair of them up???

Then get Sophie & Sara in the pits as well.

Or is that overkill :D

I sincerely hope the fact that Pearson has done the commentationg on Monday and last night does not mean that we have to put up with the moronic Millard tomorrow night :(

Slightly off topic but, having read the criticism of Nigel Pearson's commentary on this forum I think he was spot on with his comment last night when he said (amongst his 3 points for a win, two for second, etc. speech) something along the lines of "I know I must get on the nerves of regular speedway fans when I keep going on about these things but we are appealing to a wider audience and this may be many people's first taste of speedway".

Yes, he may get over-excited about nothing. Yes, he may bang on about who rides for who. And yes, he may keep saying which conference league match he's off to next week. But at least he cares about speedway and it's future and makes sure that those amongst us who don't know that much about the sport are informed and up to date.

Keep up the good work Nigel :approve:

Totally agree Vic! I love to hear Nigel get excited about speedway cos I'm usually doing just the same LOL

I sincerely hope the fact that Pearson has done the commentationg on Monday and last night does not mean that we have to put up with the moronic Millard tomorrow night  :(

Thought that too, the law of averages isn't in our favour though... :(

Hope it's Nigel and I don't care how often he bangs on about different tracks or who rides for who as someone new to speedway might just be watching.

I also liked Georgie Thompson, although I had never heard of her before. I didn't find her voice irritating at all like some apparently and I am very particular about voices.....that's why I don't like listening to a Cockney. (That will get Norbold on here!) :P I thought she sounded a bit like Julia Bradbury when she used to present speedway on channel 4.

Well I thought she did very well.

Sure,she was reading off from pre set questions,etc.At least she sounded interested.She is very knowledgeable with other motor sports.

I too admired her for her honesty,by saying it was her first ever meeting.Give her a chance.

Very pleasant on the eye too.I suppose I will just have to put up with her again for the Final....... :P:P

Edited by BobC