British Speedway Forum

Mmm.. can someone explain to me why so many people on here think the manager is to blame for tonights performance?

What other manager would have made any difference tonight, there was very few other riders available to him that would or could have done much better.

The only question I can not answer is if he is a good motivator, but even a better motivator would have done very little to change the performance tonight, the riders were simply not fast eonough out the gate or on the track.

I can only think of one sport us brits are good at and its the good old pub game of DARTS.

Fantastic Speedway, fantastic atmosphere that even came across on tv. Leszno has to be one of the best tracks in the whole world, maybe the best. I'm glad the GP will be there in 2008 and 2009.

Congratulations Poland, i thought they deserved to win. One or two points. The comments on here about Walasek. This is 100% typical of Speedway or more to the point the authorities that make the rules. A crazy rule left open to either 1. Abuse or 2. Chinese whispers and gripes by the rest. Which is nearest the truth tonight doesn't matter. They HAVE to change this rule. Let any reserve come in after Heat 5 for any out of form rider.What's so wrong with that ? The way the rule is now it just courts controversy, or maybe thats what some in power want as it gets people talking, creates a buzz. I don't know why GB were so bad tonight. They were abysmal. 99% of the time as a nation we dont seem to be able to adapt and ride to the track or conditions like most other nations. We heard Nicki Pedersen talking about telling Bjarne the lines and the other nations seemed dialled in to it while the GB boys were floundering going out wide on turn 4 and getting passed easily. By about heat 18 they were finally getting it !!!  I'm not a fan of the Danes, or two of them really to be honest , lol. But tonight i thought they showed great intelligence and rode with their heads. No last places i think ?    I thought with 7 heats to go they had it won. That they didnt is soley down to the way Poland rode. They pulled it out of the fire and rode with swashbuckling guts and determination. Andersens comments were sour grapes but just what to expect from him. Nice to see Gollob be the one to finish it too towards the end of his career, he's given us all so many great races over the years. Again well done Polska !!!

I don't think I can disagree with any of that.

Great post and spot on Philip.

:blink:  now I am lost

i think he wanted you to use some paragraphs, as it can be a little hard to read on a pc screen when it's all in one block of text.

Anyway, well done Poland, some quite good racing tonight, but yeah, i bet it's usually much better in the league, but we're used to the gp and swc tracks being prepared differently to the league meetings held on the same tracks.

As for GB, the only word is dissapointing

I can only think of one sport us brits are good at and its the good old pub game of DARTS.

What about the sport where a Brit is currently 5th in the World? or what about that one where a Brit is currently 1st in the World?

Whats sports? Speedway and F1!!!!

Typical British attitude of "we're rubbish", amazingly, we're not! :rolleyes:

Oh, we're pretty good at various cycling events too :P

Edited by SCB

What about the sport where a Brit is currently 5th in the World?  or what about that one where a Brit is currently 1st in the World?

Whats sports?  Speedway and F1!!!!

Typical British attitude of "we're rubbish", amazingly, we're not!  :rolleyes:

Oh, we're pretty good at various cycling events too  :P

Don't forget Bog Snorkling!

Don't forget Bog Snorkling!

Don't tell me though, there's an Aussie beating the Brits in that too? They seem to beat us in every other sport. For that reason alone, F1 is the greatest sport in the World right now :D

Love my speedway but not very gened up about the technicalities so please be easy on me but I have a few questions.

1. Do the GB riders ride in Poland?.

Yes, they do. Chris Harris, Scott Nicholls and Lee Richardson all compete in the Polish League, so they must have machinery suitable for riding those tracks.

Eddie Kennett has had three or four meetings for Chesztokowa (sp) and he said that Mike Lee was preparing some engines for him set up for the Polish tracks for the World Cup.

I don't know if Simon Stead rides in Poland, but a Belle Vue fan will probably know.

A very disappointing performance from Team GB and at least two of their points came when there were only three riders in a race!

Chris Harris rides for Rybnik in Liga I, the Polish equivalent of the Premier League.

Scott Nicholls rides for Rzeszow in the Ekstraliga, alongside Davey Watt and Nicki P.

Lee Richardson rides for Czestochowa in the Ekstraliga.

Simon Stead rides for Grudziadz in Liga I, but rode for Torun in the Ekstraliga last season.

Edward Kennett rides for Czestochowa as a junior in the Ekstraliga.

What about the sport where a Brit is currently 5th in the World?  or what about that one where a Brit is currently 1st in the World?

Whats sports?  Speedway and F1!!!!

Typical British attitude of "we're rubbish", amazingly, we're not!  :rolleyes:

Oh, we're pretty good at various cycling events too  :P

and shoveha`penny :lol:

True the Brits did poorly (seemed SO down on speed/power!!??) but what an awesome track, great racing and superb excitement. :)

This was more than a million times better than ANYTHING any GP round in ten years has served up!! :o

Proof to me that we MUST for the sake of the future of our sport return to the old individual World Championship system without delay.. :neutral:

Would a Brit win under such a system though..?! Currently hardly any chance, I'm afraid... :cry:

True the Brits did poorly (seemed SO down on speed/power!!??) but what an awesome track, great racing and superb excitement. :)

This was more than a million times better than ANYTHING any GP round in ten years has  served up!! :o

Proof to me that we MUST for the sake of the future of our sport return to the old individual World Championship system without delay.. :neutral:

Would a Brit win under such a system though..?!  Currently hardly any chance, I'm afraid... :cry:

and build or make better tracks,awesome speed in places and multipule lines to ride the track,a friend of mine said he sat there and watched it from start to finish and was well impressed,a non speedway supporter.perhaps poland have got it right

I just came back home from Leszno.

Amazing Final - brilliant, magnificent...

The Danes were superb - fantastic chasing and leading before final round, and counterstrike by Poles. team GB and Aussies wee struggling fairly ill the end of the night. My vioce has gone - it must be repared untill 19:00 CET. On this time Polonia vs Unia Tarnow match begins....an important, tough meeting...

Summed up very well. Bearing in mind that GB is supposed to be the 4th richest nation in the world it is staggering how poorly we perform in all aspects of sport, along with, just about everything else. Speedway, merely, slots into the norm. If you want to create a series of competitions in which we excel then select from:-

teenage pregnancies

obesity   

alcoholism

divorce

illiteracy

political correctness

texting

We could do quite well in these as long as it does not become too competitive!

I get the feeling I might have heard most of this before. :rolleyes::P

Whilst there is some truth to what you say, and indeed, we don't inject sufficient resources into sport, it is hardly fair to suggest that we perform poorly in everything else. We have a very rich, diverse culture, from which blooms a wealth of arts of all media. This country is a lot more productive, innovating and world-leading than you seem to give it credit. Naturally, many of the things for which we can hold national pride cannot be measured on a competitive scale, but that does not mean that they are not there. What once made Britain great - sport, industry, economy, imperialism (not our finest moment, I would suggest) - needn't be what makes Britain great today.

Horrendously off-topic, I know, but I feel it was a point worth making. It does not, however, excuse the performance in the final, though I contest whether excuses actually need to be made. On the day, we were not competitive, and that is the end of the matter. As for ways to remedy this in the future, I'm sure it is just a matter of confidence, equipment and time, for our up-and-coming riders are just as talented as anybody elses.