British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Guest holly

Gone down the WC

I get really annoyed with the attitude of some sports fans (any sport or event) that when things are going well, they are right behind their team/individual but when things start going wrong are the first ones to say what a bad team we have.

Err dont think we ended up in a position that wasnt expected, we made the final but were beaten by better riders. But the loss is that the likes of Norris will not be around for much longer, we could ahve taken some kids along for the experience and still finished in the same place. Look at sweden they took the likes of Ljung and didnt waste time with the likes of danno and FWC andersem.

At the start, quite a lot were saying we would be lucky or it would be a miracle if we reached the final (something we have not done for 2 years) so we did reach a better that expected position.

While some habitual moaners will come out, the vast majority of people believe Team GB did a great job and exceded expectations. It was great while it lasted and on a different night, who knows? Thing is they got there. World Cup Finalists. Lets say that again shall we?..... World Cup Finalists. Ahhhh, thats better.

Teams on paper are all very well (tell that to Belle Vue fan!) in the end you need spirit and guts - and yes, a little luck. Taking the kids would have been a disaster - I wouldn't fancy sending a pumped up Edward Kennett out on that Vojens track with four others riders thanks very much.

A few just couldn't wait to knock. They predicted disaster and they were wrong. Shame on you and, well, get a life.

While some habitual moaners will come out...

I hope you are not classing me as a habitual moaner! And Holly only joined today so she can't be classed as one presumably.

I thought twice about answering her post - in fact I came back a couple of hours later to remove it but by then there had been replies quoting it.

The trouble is if you give an opinion on this forum which is different to others you get pounced on and told to "get a life" or worse.

I can't see anything terribly wrong with my post - doesn't sound like moaning to me - just stating my opinion of the Final. I expected Britain to come last beforehand and sadly they did.

Trouble is, with one or two exceptions, this forum seems to subscribe to the 'British' disease - ie 'we didn't win, but hey, we tried hard!!!'

No-one is arguing that GB did better in the qualifiers than was expected but when the going got tough - well we might as well have packed our bikes away after about heat 5!!!

Personally, I have always found this 'bulldog spirit' stuff a bit sad. Roughly translated it means 'we invented the sport and then these whippersnappers come along and have the audacity to be better than us - but never mind becasue we're British and we're hanging in there!!!'

I want the British team to have the same attitude as the Aussies, the Danes - and on last nights performance - the Swedes. The Aussies were very sporting on the rostrum but you could tell by their faces that they were completely gutted. Meanwhile the Brits were there in the pits with their 'we did our best, and we're proud of our acheivement' faces on!!!

Call me a moaner if you like but I'm sick of Britain's it's ok to be second best attitude - it's about time we were FIRST in something!!! :P :twisted: :roll:

Lupus - excellent post. If pride in your country alone won matches David Norris would have won it on his own. The plain fact is we were not good enough, we were never gonna be good enough once Loram and Howe were injured. Middlo and the team did the best job they could, it simply wasn't good enough.

If that makes me a moaner in some peoples eyes so be it, I prefer to think I'm a realist.

But who are the champs and who were the also rans.

The minnows???

The Aussies, Danes, Poles, Brits, Czechs, Finns..........................

We're in good company!!

Well put Mylor. 8)

Before the competition the moaners were out saying 'Britain have no chance with that team ' Ok we got a crap start,very crap.But they battled back and with 8 or so races left could have finished 3rd, maybe even 2nd with a bit of luck. Considering the circumstances i think that's not bad.Not because i settle for 2nd [ 1st loser] 3rd [ 2nd loser ] etc etc. What i can't understand is some peoples attitudes to their own country.Ok they may not like Gary Havelock because they don't like what he says or he wears funny shirts or whatever.That doesn't mean they have to shout for another damn country because a certain rider or two happen to ride for their team.Maybe THAT'S the real British desease.The only time i was shouting for anyone else in this World Cup was the last 2 races for Ljung and Karlsson,because i preferred Sweden to win than the Aussies again.One thing you CAN say though about Aussies and Americans for that matter.They get behind their country of birth 100% every time.

One thing you CAN say though about Aussies and Americans for that matter.They get behind their country of birth 100% every time.

Better make that 99% Philip - minus Jason Crump born in......now where was it?.....

Bristol, United Kingdom. :P

I back England/Great Britain whatever you want to call them 100%

When the Football World Cup is on my house is decorated with George Cross & Union Jacks all over the place my kids think it embarassing seeing a flag on the roof but hey who cares it's all part of being a supporter of your country........ although Speedway in my part of the country is at the moment dead, it didn't stop me putting out my speedway flags (only 4, quite reserved this time, as no Mark, so no Loram flag flying!) So we might not have won but hey it was a good World Team Cup AND we reached the finals.......... too top it all I found myself cheering on Eastbourne Riders to the point of almost crying after Heat 18 Absolutely fantastic riding from Dean Barker :oops: sorry Canterbury fans but I have to admit that one :P

Well Done to Middlo, Dean, David, Scott, Lee & Gary excellent riding and excellent spirit you did us ALL proud even if some don't like to admit it ;):P

Very well said Shazzybird....sounds like our households are the same, all my neighbours thought I was barmy. We should be proud of our country not knock it all the time.

The plain fact is we were not good enough, we were never gonna be good enough once Loram and Howe were injured.

SL, as I said before ........we didn't only beat the minnows, on a good track we beat the Swedes................the World Champions! :lol:

We didn't only beat them............we beat them by 17 points in the same meeting as we beat the Czechs by 19 points. :D

We were good enough........it just wasn't our day. :cry::cry:

SL, as I said before ........we didn't only beat the minnows, on a good track we beat the Swedes................the World Champions!

yes Mylor but not when it mattered. On the day it mattered Team GB were simply not good enough. Sorry but that's a fact.

SL, as I said before ........we didn't only beat the minnows, on a good track we beat the Swedes................the World Champions!

yes Mylor but not when it mattered. On the day it mattered Team GB were simply not good enough. Sorry but that's a fact.

You're a hard lady to please SL.

Even a full strength Aussie team with all their top riders.......................'were simply not good enough!!'

Even a powerful Danish team, riding a Danish track prepared by Danes for a Danish race director.....................................'were simply not good enough!!'

Neither of these teams beat the Swedes in the whole competition so I can't really see any grounds for condemning the only team that did.

Ah well, time to move on.