British Speedway Forum
Sandie

Indoor Speedway -sun 9th December 07

ooops - embarrassed smilie needed!!  Sorry  :oops:  :oops:

I dont care how you spell my name as i have been called so many names in the past its hard to find out which is the correct one :)

Any way first of all i like to wish you all a Happy Xmas and New Year, I have had a meeting at the Centre and they have told me i can take the 7th December 2008 but i would like to take the 6th witch is a Saturday, they cant confirm that until mid Jan 08.

They also told me that i need to up the attendance to make it pay for the Centre so thats a big task but if i cant up it in 2008 then there will be no action in 2009. Thats a bit hard from the Centre after 11 years.

So if any of you have some good ideas or would like to contact me finding a way to reach all the supporters clubs to attract more people then i only be too happy to listen.

Also i have managed to take away the booking fee from ticket master so thats a saving for everyone already.

So lets see if we can make it a good one in 2008, Happy New Year to all

Regards

Martin Dugard

I dont care how you spell my name as i have been called so many names in the past its hard to find out which is the correct one :)

Any way  first of all i like to wish you all a Happy Xmas and New Year, I have had a meeting at the Centre and they have told me i can take the 7th December 2008 but i would like to take the 6th witch is a Saturday, they cant confirm that until mid Jan 08.

They also told me that i need to up the attendance to make it pay for the Centre so thats a big task but if i cant up it in 2008 then there will be no action in 2009. Thats a bit hard from the Centre after 11 years.

So if any of you have some good ideas or would like to contact me finding a way to reach all the supporters clubs to attract more people then i only be too happy to listen.

Also i have managed to take away the booking fee from ticket master so thats a saving for everyone already.

So lets see if we can make it a good one in 2008, Happy New Year to all

Regards

Martin Dugard

hi martin i think you would get better crowds if you changed the format. i would have gone this year when it was announced as a 4tt. i stopped going when it changed from a team event to pairs. a lot of supporters don't like pairs or individual meetings these days.

Edited by cityrebel

Martin Dugard

Hmmm, sounds familiar ... the Brighton Centre hasn't been taken over by the guys that run the GRA at Wimbledon and Oxford, have they? :angry:

Well, I haven't missed a year yet, so I'll be there next year (mind you, I only live up the road, so I've got no excuse!)

Not sure about changing it to a Saturday though - what do others think?

Guest sjl
Hmmm, sounds familiar ... the Brighton Centre hasn't been taken over by the guys that run the GRA at Wimbledon and Oxford, have they?    :angry:

Well, I haven't missed a year yet, so I'll be there next year (mind you, I only live up the road, so I've got no excuse!)

Not sure about changing it to a Saturday though - what do others think?

Attended for the first time this year so possibly not a 'tradition' for me YET but thoroughly enjoyed myself and Saturday would be my choice because of (my friends) work commitments.

hi martin i think you would get better crowds if you changed the format. i would have gone this year when it was announced as a 4tt. i stopped going when it changed from a team event to pairs. a lot of supporters don't like pairs or individual meetings these days.

Really don't see the point of a team event. If it's not your team it's pretty pointless. So individual is the best way and then by having pairs you do at least have half of the pair to cheer for.

Would make sense to try and get pairs that are in some way related though, not random pairs that seems to be the case. Like this year, the Gustafssons should have been together, Olly could have been with his brother or Adam Roynon to make a Bees pair.

Also, what do the random Poles add to the event? They're generally crap and don't have a clue and they surely bring in no fans?! Get a couple of PL or CL riders there, at least they might have a few fans over here and will not cost an air/ferry fair. The great thing about Brighton is a CL rider could be just as good as an EL rider.

IMO, pairs and individual with riders we know is the way forward. The Russians seem quite popular too, so get Sergei and Roman back so they can give out some more flags :D

Also, what do the random Poles add to the event?  They're generally crap and don't have a clue and they surely bring in no fans?!  Get a couple of PL or CL riders there, at least they might have a few fans over here and will not cost an air/ferry fair.  The great thing about Brighton is a CL rider could be just as good as an EL rider.

SCB,

I would agree - and would point out Jordan Frampton as a perfect example of a lower league rider who rode very well at Brighton this year, even though Kevin Coombes seemed totally oblivious to the fact that Jordan rode for Oxford in addition to Somerest in 2007. :rolleyes:

To get the fans along from the British tracks, you need riders from British teams. The odd exception such as the massively entertaining Shawn McConnell is alright.

And yes, maybe do something slightly different in the afternoon. The Pairs is perhaps a little tired. Maybe a two or four team competition plus the Under 15s in the afternoon, then the individual event at night.

And for the night meeting, keep it to 22 races at the maximum, and have a word with the ref to cut down on the number of re-runs - Kennett's numerous reinstatements into Heat 15 were a little ridiculous. He should at least have been reinstalled off a handicap, more chance of the re-run going ahead without a further glitch.

All the best

Rob

Edited by lucifer sam

SCB,

And yes, maybe do something slightly different in the afternoon.  The Pairs is perhaps a little tired.  Maybe a two or four team competition plus the Under 15s in the afternoon, then the individual event at night.

Britain/England vs Rest of World maybe? Think that's what happens at Telford. :unsure:

That was the format of the first brighton too if I remember right.

In the past when there was Poles at least they were ones we had heard of, this year apart from Gomolski the rest were pretty much unknown.

And like someone said if we have to have pairs lets have some meaning to them like there were in the past.

Hi Martin

I'll attend on either a Saturday or Sunday but the Saturday would be my preference with school aged children to think about and a journey home of

100 miles or so.

Also I agree with others who have said the Pairs format is looking a little jaded and

perhaps time for an England v ROW match.

Happy Christmas