British Speedway Forum

This has been a very interesting thread......I love to read this again in a couple of years and see who was right here.

For me I'd love to see a GP in the USA since I live in Canada (yes I have been to other GP's including Sydney before someone says something negative) but I also can't see it happening right now. As far as riders in the USA, there are some up and coming one's and they may decide to try their luck.

While on the subject of riders where are all the Brits???? I say that of course as a joke but there could be NO british riders in the GP except for reserve....what would that do to the Cardiff GP?

Russia, IMHO is a definite....SOON!

Edited by andout

Billy J may get his GP place yet!!!! Go William!!!! :D

Cool - eurodisney - when can we book.

Why not go whole hog and hold it in Florida Disney. Now that would be good!! :D  :D

But Doctor - just make sure your travel insurance is world wide and not just euro. We wouldnt want to take any chances now would we!!! :o  :D

YEh Billy the bonus king!!! He gets my points!!!!

This has been a very interesting thread......I love to read this again in a couple of years and see who was right here.

For me I'd love to see a GP in the USA since I live in Canada (yes I have been to other GP's including Sydney before someone says something negative) but I also can't see it happening right now. As far as riders in the USA, there are some up and coming one's and they may decide to try their luck.

While on the subject of riders where are all the Brits???? I say that of course as a joke but there could be NO british riders in the GP except for reserve....what would that do to the Cardiff GP?

Russia, IMHO is a definite....SOON!

We have two Brits in the top 8 going into the final Grand Prix, sorry but there are not the quality of riders coming through from the States at the moment, and I don't think that the American public would support an event that has only one USA representitive.

And why aren't there any young americans, cos they come in on a bleeding 8 point average in our league!!!!!!!!!!!

And why aren't there any young americans, cos they come in on a bleeding 8 point average in our league!!!!!!!!!!!

Matt Browne made a try at Smedernas B-team, Team Bikab this season without any particular success.

There is a total lack of USA riders, other than Chris Kerr, I don't see any of the young Americans coming through.

We have two Brits in the top 8 going into the final Grand Prix, sorry but there are not the quality of riders coming through from the States at the moment, and I don't think that the American public would support an event that has only one USA representitive.

Wasn't quite referring to the two Brits (that are desperately trying to hang on to 7th & 8th place). Simply where are the one's to take their place?

Absolutely agree about the American public not supporting an event where only one American was riding......they need to have a HUGE chance of winning before it would be supported.

I think our Canadian may make it to the GP series in 2009....before another American comes along.

Wasn't quite referring to the two Brits (that are desperately trying to hang on to 7th & 8th place). Simply where are the one's to take their place?

Absolutely agree about the American public not supporting an event where only one American was riding......they need to have a HUGE chance of winning before it would be supported.

I think our Canadian may make it to the GP series in 2009....before another American comes along.

I think that alot will depend on whether or not Kyle will get the backing that he desperately needs, and where he is going to ride next season.

Only thing holding the sport back is the parochial attitude of some folks who think their club is the be-all and end-all. The sooner Pommyland wakes up to the 21st century the better, Elite League on one or two nights a week only.

BFD, the bottom line is that whilst the national leagues (and I'm not just referring to the British leagues here) provide the riders' bread-and-butter, it's simply unacceptable to allow a competition organised for private benefit to ride roughshod over their businesses. The bottom line is that riders could not make a living from the SGP alone, and it's the national leagues who develop and pay the bulk of the rider wages.

I know Pommy-bashing is a national pastime in Oz, and you no doubt see things differently because you don't get to see the top riders that often. However, without the national leagues there would be no professional riders to see at all. Its all very saying the BEL should go to one or two midweek nights, but it's proved not to pay for all but a handful of tracks. How many Aussies would front-up on cold Tuesday or Wednesdays to watch meetings, knowing they have to go to work the next day? Not many I suspect.

At the moment, the GP hasn't really affected the Polish and Swedish leagues too much, but if it expands further, it will undoubtedly start running into conflicts with the Polish league because GPs reserve the following Sunday in case of rainoffs. Given that there is far more interest in league racing than the SGP in Poland, I don't imagine they'll be too happy when riders starting missing meetings there.

I'm expecting GP's in Japan, Malaysia, Oz, the Good 'Ol US of A and Dubai by 2010.

It really doesn't come down to 'where's a good place for a GP', but where a local mug.. errr, promoter can be found to take the financial risk. Last I heard, the local promoter had to pay USD 50K to BSI for the privilege of hosting a GP (and apparently originally wanted to extort USD 100K, but had to lower their demands), and only got to keep the gate receipts, programme sales, and advertising from two boards on the infield. BSI kept all the television and sponsorship money, and took none of the financial risk of the staging the event. I think you'll find that's why there haven't been many willing takers up until now, and the experience of the guy promoting the Aussie GP probably hasn't provided much encouragement to others either.

I suspect the GPs in the smaller venues make heavy losses, but are subsidised through the fund-raising activities of the staging clubs. Whether one thinks it's acceptable for grassroots tracks to subsidise multi-millionaires is perhaps a topic for another time. :wink:

Edited by Kevin Meynell

Let's wait and see what IMG have planned for the future - as it is I'm expecting GP's in Japan, Malaysia, Oz, the Good 'Ol US of A and Dubai by 2010.

It really doesn't come down to 'where's a good place for a GP', but where a local mug.. errr, promoter can be found to take the financial risk.

Well i think Dubai might be a place to start since there is where you find people with really big wallets ;)