British Speedway Forum
superdons

Visited Today

Somewhere down south and not far from Rye House, so that would be in Essex then I think. :unsure:

Or even Hertfordshire now I've checked. http://www.pwpark.com/

No mention of the speedway musem. :neutral:

It's not really advertised much once you've entered the park. It's tucked out of the way behind the kiddies ball park. We were in the museum for half an hour.....nobody else came in.

That camel that tried to bite me was pretty real!

From the expression "tried to bite me" I take it that it failed? Hope the Zoo vet sorts its eyesight problem then! :lol::wink:

Edited by Bryn

From the expression "tried to bite me" I take it that it failed? Hope the Zoo vet sorts its eyesight problem then! :lol::wink:

and get a tetanus ready for the animals :P

Visited the museum today with the kids. First thing I noticed was how small it is, but boy..is it packed full of memorabillia or what!!!!:P

It's advertised as opening 1st. March, have they had a change of plan? :unsure:

It's advertised as opening 1st. March, have they had a change of plan? :unsure:

Must have done, because I was there on Wednesday :blink:

These are the admission prices for the London Zoo in Regents Park......

Adult £13

Child (3-15) £10

Under 3s FREE

Student/Senior Citizen/Disabled £11.50

Saver ticket: 2 adults & 2 children or 1 adult & 3 children = £41

For each disabled person, 1 carer can receive free admission.

Adults pay less, but kids pay more, although London Zoo is MUCH larger than Paradise Wildlife Park.

I worked out that admission to each for the four of us would be £31 to Paradise and £31.50 to London Zoo. It seems that Paradise is a little overpriced.

If you collect Tesco club card points then you can use your vouchers to purchase tickets to Paradise Wildlife Park under their 'days out' club card deals scheme. Currently only £3 worth of clubcard vouchers will get 1 adult admission. Click here for more info Tesco Club Card Deals

The Museum Committee is considering a way of having a separate ticket just for the museum. The problem is the logistics though because the museum is inside the Park, so once you are in there is no physical way of stopping anyone from going round the rest of the park.The pricing policy of the Park itself has nothing to do with the Speedway Museum.

Ive visited Paradise Park both before and since the museum opened and to be honest the Park is excellent value for money especially for younger children, the museum is a bonus for speedway fans, its not a place to go to for a couple of hours, its perfect for a full day out from the time it opens right up to closing time

Following the debate with interest. Paradise Park is a great day out and has a lot of attractions to offer for all the family. My kids have (or used to have) season tickets and regularly go with their mates every Friday during the summer. Not yet been to the museum myself, though it should be accessible separately for those who don't want to do the full park experience. I expect the park owners would object on the grounds that they want to leverage some benefit from having speedway fans visiting, though bringing people to the area and allowing them to see the opportunities should convey a lot of goodwill too. There should be a bit of cross-marketing to advertise both the park and the museum.

Just one question from me as a northerner.Where is paradise park?

Somewhere down south and not far from Rye House, so that would be in Essex then I think. :unsure:Or even Hertfordshire now I've checked. http://www.pwpark.com/

No mention of the speedway musem. :neutral:

It's out in Broxbourne woods, a few miles from the sprawling metropolis that is Broxbourne and a short drive from Hoddesdon and Rye House speedway. I live in Broxbourne on the Herts/Essex border and Paradise Park is about 4.5 miles from home.

I think one other thing has to be remembered in this debate and that is that without Peter Sampson and Paradise Park we wouldn't have a Speedway Museum. They gave the land free and paid for much of the construction costs. They also currently pay for the maintenance and utilities and allow members of staff to work in the Museum, carrying out maintenance and other work, without any cross charging. As well as this direct support, it also means that the Museum does not have to have its own security staff or any special emergency procedures and so on.

Without this sort of support it is highly probable that the Museum would be unable to cover its running costs without a substantial entrance fee anyway.

True - we are incredibly lucky to have that degree of support, though PPwould undoubtedly factored into that calculation increased revenues they expected to earn.

Might keep this in mind for a day out in the summer holidays, kids can go on the rides and I can go in the museum!

Might keep this in mind for a day out in the summer holidays, kids can go on the rides and I can go in the museum!
Large ball park for the kids next door Sue, so you can leave them there while you wander around the museum.

Even better!

I think one other thing has to be remembered in this debate and that is that without Peter Sampson and Paradise Park we wouldn't have a Speedway Museum. They gave the land free and paid for much of the construction costs. They also currently pay for the maintenance and utilities and allow members of staff to work in the Museum, carrying out maintenance and other work, without any cross charging. As well as this direct support, it also means that the Museum does not have to have its own security staff or any special emergency procedures and so on.

Without this sort of support it is highly probable that the Museum would be unable to cover its running costs without a substantial entrance fee anyway.

I was lead to understand that the money collected by donations, paid for the building of the museum? And that the cost had been met by those donations?

I was lead to understand that the money collected by donations, paid for the building of the museum? And that the cost had been met by those donations?

The money collected went towards part of the building costs and the fitting out and formed the original budget for the running costs - insurance, purchase of books, promotional material, some objects, etc., but, on its own, would not have been enough to provide the museum we have.

£70,000 was raised from donations; the building costs exceeded £120,000. The land was given free of charge.

What proportion of the admission charge goes towards the upkeep of the museum, if any? If none, is it still being supported by donations?