British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Speedway Captains Of The Fifties And Sixties

One of the posts to the gay speedway riders topic(sorry I raised it) was how about a thread of great speedway captains. Well what about the late Alby Golden R.I.P for Newport Wasps when they started in 1964 and for a few years after. He helped make Newport a real success story in those early years-was he ever capt. of Southampton also?? Also Ivor Brown(CH) should be remembered in this connection -I think Jack Kitchen may have been capt. of Sheffield at that time. I think other 1964 PL capts. included Geoff Mudge of Poole, Colin Pratt (Hackney), Eric Boocock (Middsbro) Doug Templeton (Edin) Maury Mattingly(Glasgow), Ken Adams (LE), Ivan at Newcastle, perhaps Jim Squibb at Exeter and Tom Sweetman of Wolves. Wow I think I got 12/12-any other 1964 PL fans out there remember these and did I get 'em right??

One of the posts to the gay speedway riders topic(sorry I raised it) was how about a thread of great speedway captains. Well what about the late Alby Golden R.I.P for Newport Wasps when they started in 1964 and for a few years after. He helped make Newport a real success story in those early years-was he ever capt. of Southampton also?? Also Ivor Brown(CH) should be remembered in this connection -I think Jack Kitchen may have been capt. of Sheffield at that time. I think other 1964 PL capts. included Geoff Mudge of Poole, Colin Pratt (Hackney), Eric Boocock (Middsbro) Doug Templeton (Edin) Maury Mattingly(Glasgow), Ken Adams (LE), Ivan at Newcastle, perhaps Jim Squibb at Exeter and Tom Sweetman of Wolves. Wow I think I got 12/12-any other 1964 PL fans out there remember these and did I get 'em right??

Impressive stuff Bob. I wouldn't argue with most of your captains, but I'm not sure Mauger was captain at Newcastle. I also think Len silver was the Exeter skipper.

Doug Templeton, an inspirational skipper at Edinburgh since 1960, went on to become speedway's lomgest-serving captain.

Thinking on this a bit further, wasn't Ross Gilbertson Poole captain?

ross skippered romford in '69

may have captained poole in the provincial league, not sure?

Edited by future

Provincial League captains in 1962 were:

Bradford: Ray Day

Cradley Heath: Harry Bastable

Edinburgh: Doug Templeton

Exeter: Len Silver

Leicester: ?

Middlesbrough: ? Eric Boothroyd

Neath: ? Trevor Redmond

Newcastle: Don Wilkinson

Poole: Geoff Mudge

Plymouth: Cliff Cox

Sheffield: Guy Allott

Stoke: Ray Harris

Wolverhampton: Graham Warren

Edited by norbold

Thinking on this a bit further, wasn't Ross Gilbertson Poole captain?

No. Definitely Geoff Mudge. Ross Gilbertson was the top scorer but was not the captain.

Geoff Mudge took over the captaincy from Alan Kidd (I think) in 1961 or 1962. He held it until moving to Reading in the early 1970's.

No. Definitely Geoff Mudge. Ross Gilbertson was the top scorer but was not the captain.

Geoff Mudge took over the captaincy from Alan Kidd (I think) in 1961 or 1962. He held it until moving to Reading in the early 1970's.

Yes, that's correct. (Except it was Allan Kidd)

Impressive stuff Bob. I wouldn't argue with most of your captains, but I'm not sure Mauger was captain at Newcastle. I also think Len silver was the Exeter skipper.

Doug Templeton, an inspirational skipper at Edinburgh since 1960, went on to become speedway's lomgest-serving captain.

Brian Craven. :D

:blink::blink:

Folks, folks -I did say PL 1964. Tsunami- Brian Craven rode for Diamonds in 63(captain) and was again in 65-but some of you will recall he took a year off in 64 after Peter's death. Also Len Silver was injured I think in early 64 and went on to become manager of Hackney. So Tsunami I stand by my memory for both Exeter and Newcastle.

Norbold interesting list for PL 1962-re Leicester-will bet u a pint it was our old friend Vic White as capt.(although Norman Hunter was the star).Also Ian the more I think about it the more I am sure Len Silver got injured v.early in 64 and may even have been riding for Hackney but not 100% sure. I may have rose colored glasses on but I thought 64 was a great season(last of old PL)

Norbold interesting list for PL 1962-re Leicester-will bet u a pint it was our old friend Vic White as capt.(although Norman Hunter was the star).

Yes, I think you're right.

Folks, folks -I did say PL 1964. Tsunami- Brian Craven rode for Diamonds in 63(captain) and was again in 65-but some of you will recall he took a year off in 64 after Peter's death. Also Len Silver was injured I think in early 64 and went on to become manager of Hackney. So Tsunami I stand by my memory for both Exeter and Newcastle.

My mistake as I missed out that it was just 1964. Just checked our History site, run be dantodan, and yes it was Ivan. :lol:

:blink::blink:

Edited by Tsunami

Have been trying to recall capts of NL 1964-last year for that league also-only 7 teams. Not so sure about these but here goes. Belle Vue(Dick Fisher), Swindon(Mike Broadbank(s)), Coventry(Jim Lightfoot), West Ham(Bjorn Knuttson), Wimbledon(Leo McAuliffe??), Norwich(Fundin???),Oxford(Ron How???)

Belle Vue: Dick Fisher

Coventry: Jim Lightfoot

Norwich: Reg Trott

Oxford: Jack Geran

Swindon: Mike Broadbanks

West Ham: Bjorn Knutson

Wimbledon: Leo McAuliffe

Thanx Norbold 5/7 ain't bad for a PL supporter!!