British Speedway Forum

Shock horror - a promoter might make some money!!! Why is it that as soon as a promoter looks like getting a bit of a money-spinner you can hear all the murmurings of discontent. If a promoter, and I include absolutely any promoter in the country in that, wants to take a risk on an event (and this is, even with all the luck in the world still a risky enterprise), that might make them some money at the end of it, then all I would say is bloody good luck to him or her. What exactly is wrong with a club making a profit? A profit that might offset other costs? A profit that might secure that club financially for a while? A profit that might go to paying a transfer fee outright to another cash-strapped club for example? Cos I'm damned if I can see a problem with a promoter making some money - after all isn't that what every person goes into business for? Why should speedway be any different? The way fans go on, anything that might net some cash is frowned upon as if living on a financial shoestring is the only acceptable means of operating. It's beyond me I have to say. :unsure:

I swear that there will be some fans sat at home, between now and the 9th March, praying for rain, willing for something to go wrong so that the event isn't a success, just so that they can have their little gloat.

Good post..... Totally agree.

In speedway it seems anyone who wants to try to improve things is frowned upon.

what is being improved from a speedway perspective?

I swear that there will be some fans sat at home, between now and the 9th March, praying for rain, willing for something to go wrong so that the event isn't a success, just so that they can have their little gloat.

you would think they have more important things to do than that!!

what is being improved from a speedway perspective?

:) I don't think anything is being "improved" as such, but I must say I think the Poole promotion really have balls to even attempt as big an event as this, that early in the year. It has to be a real gamble on the weather as early as March, ok I know the weather is pretty dodgy all year here (I have only travelled down to Poole speedway twice, and both times it has been rained off without a wheel being turned!) but I remember snow in March! I won't be attending, not out of any ill will to Poole Speedway but because I work Sunday evenings. I really hope it works out for them, it's good to see someone trying something different. :)

Excellent additions Steve

I make that

Nicki Pedersen

Jason Crump

Leigh Adams

Hans Andersen

Greg Hancock

Andreas Jonsson

Scott Nicholls

Chris Harris

Bjarne Pedersen

Krzysztof Kasprzak

Kenneth Bjerre

Davey Watt

Karol Zabik

Emil Saifutdinov

Jaroslaw Hampel

One more place remaining, hopefully at worst the Poole promotion will give Chris Holder one of the reserve berths.

Confirmed in yesterday's echo Adam Shields is riding in the meeting.

cannot believe the Poole management have left Chris Holder out

Holder is in the lineup.

Think he has always been in it. Though I may be wrong.

So Shovlar he wasn't in it proper and I can't believe I just looked through the thread to see what line up was posted weeks ago, who's dropped out then?

Edited by Trees

I don't think anyone has dropped out. I didn't pay enough atention to who was ni the lineup, and thought Holder was. My guess is that if a rider does drop out, he will be the replacement. Zabik is in and I assumed Holder was as well.

Bound to have been quiet over Christmas and New Year. But wouldn't have thought 120 would have been sold in a day. Shows its going to be a packed house regardless of the naysayers.

Colin Cooke, yes I apologise for the name calling but you are also guilty, continuously refering to Matt as "The Hairdresser". And no he is not taking a cut of the booking fee. If you have any proof that he is, then please post it on here.

In fact Matt said that because of the booking fee, those who have purchased their tickets through the BIC would be given their souvineer programs of the event compeletely free, which will cover the booking fee anyway.

So the only thing stopping you from coming is because its Poole putting on the event instead of your beloved Coventry, correct?

Lets take the meeting to Coventry, because its central!!. PHOEY, TOUGH!. :)

Hi everyone

I was wondering if I will be able to stand by the start line for the meeting, like I normally do, or is the Grandstand side restricted to seating only?

Piglet

Yes you can stand by the start line. The whole home straight is accessable either by Grandstand seating or standing.

Shock horror - a promoter might make some money!!! Why is it that as soon as a promoter looks like getting a bit of a money-spinner you can hear all the murmurings of discontent. If a promoter, and I include absolutely any promoter in the country in that, wants to take a risk on an event (and this is, even with all the luck in the world still a risky enterprise), that might make them some money at the end of it, then all I would say is bloody good luck to him or her. What exactly is wrong with a club making a profit? A profit that might offset other costs? A profit that might secure that club financially for a while? A profit that might go to paying a transfer fee outright to another cash-strapped club for example? Cos I'm damned if I can see a problem with a promoter making some money - after all isn't that what every person goes into business for? Why should speedway be any different? The way fans go on, anything that might net some cash is frowned upon as if living on a financial shoestring is the only acceptable means of operating. It's beyond me I have to say. :unsure:

Well said Rabs. Both you i and Steve Shovlar would do the

same thing Its good Business sence!!.

Edited by Starman2006

Chris Holder has been added to the line up: link

CHRIS Holder, speedway's man-of-the-moment, will definitely line up in Poole's Diamond Jubilee meeting in March.

The Castle Cover Pirates' new-boy has just reeled off 10 successive individual triumphs during his short Australian season.

His reward for that whirlwind 100 per cent Down Under win record is a coveted place in the most lucrative meeting in the Dorset track's 60-year history.

So Holder, who had been left out of the original line-up, will get the chance to chase a top prize of £60,000 on Sunday, March 9.

That is the biggest single monetary purse in speedway history, topping the $100,000 dollars (about £50,000) Andreas Jonsson pocketed for winning last year's German Grand Prix.

Speaking exclusively to the Echo last night, Poole chief Matt Ford said: "We could hardly leave Chris out.

"His confidence is high, so I don't think he will fear anyone at this point in time.

"His words to me when I told him were I can't wait to have a crack at the big boys'."

Holder, who has been snapped up by Pirates from Isle of Wight, wasn't in the original 14 confirmed starters named on November 27.

With Emil Sajfutdinov and Jarek Hampel added to that list three days later, it appeared there would be no place for Holder in the 16-strong field.

However, Holder has been in such hot form that Ford and Poole co-promoter Mike Golding couldn't ignore the newly crowned dual Australian senior and junior champion's claim for a spot.

Other riders expected to line up include world champion Nicki Pedersen, Pirates' captain Bjarne Pedersen, Jason Crump, Leigh Adams, Hans Andersen, Davey Watt, Karol Zabik and Jonsson.

Tickets for the meeting, priced £45, £30 and £25, are on sale at the BIC. They can also be purchased by contacting the box office hotline on 0870 111 3000.

Not sure who he has replaced or if they have increased the field size.

Matt had been inundated with calls from riders wanting to take part.

Perhaps Pre-meeting qualifying heats were being considered, with the winners going through to the main event.

Either way, only just over 6 weeks and the big day will be here. Really looking forward to it.

Not sure who he has replaced or if they have increased the field size.

Difficult to see a 17-rider format! The story is a bit of a fudge, isn't it – I can't see somebody of Phil Chard's obvious acumen failing to ask the question. As no answer is forthcoming perhaps the promoters are waiting to see if there is a dropout through injury or whatever. Or perhaps they haven't come to a decision and some kind of qualifying system will apply.

Anyway, cracking field either way and should be a very good meeting.

Well i wish all at Poole every success,it sounds like it should be a cracking meeting,my only gripe would be the time of year but i suppose with GP's and the WTC the Poole management did'nt have much choice.

Well i wish all at Poole every success,it sounds like it should be a cracking meeting,my only gripe would be the time of year but i suppose with GP's and the WTC the Poole management did'nt have much choice.

The date was purposely chosen. First of all it starts the Poole 60th Season with a big bang. The riders are all available because neither the Swdish or Polish speedway seasons have started. f the date had been a weekend in the summer, then the field would have been severely weakened.

There's a risk the weather will be wet, but its an afternoon meeting rather than night so it won't be too cold hopefully.