British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Igori

Vladimir Karneev -"russian Speedway Father" Dead

Hi Igori-thanks for the update-Gab Kadirov had a "Beatle" haircut-sorry to hear he has died -do you know when and how old he was??

Remember meeting Vladimir Trofimov at White City (WTC Final '76) and he gave me a load of Soviet Speedway (and other) badges which was very nice of him. :)

He was IMO the top USSR rider of his day and with a bit more luck could've moved just one notch up and made a World Championship rostrum.

Any news of what he's up to now..?? :unsure:

• Thanks 1

Remember meeting Vladimir Trofimov at White City (WTC Final '76) and he gave me a load of Soviet Speedway (and other) badges which was very nice of him.  :)

He was IMO the top USSR rider of his day and with a bit more luck could've moved just one notch up and made a World Championship rostrum.

Any news of what he's up to now..?? :unsure:

Sorry, but I think you mean VIKTOR Trofimov. Vladimir (Viktor's son, I believe) came a few years later (reserve for the 1987 World Final etc). You're right though, Viktor was a very accomplished rider who could perhaps have achieved a little more.

Steve

Edited by chunky
  • Like 1

Sorry, but I think you mean VIKTOR Trofimov.  Vladimir (Viktor's son, I believe) came a few years later (reserve for the 1987 World Final etc).  You're right though, Viktor was a very accomplished rider who could perhaps have achieved a little more.

Steve

You're right!! It's my week for getting things wrong :blink::rolleyes: !!

Yes, 'twas Viktor.

Two of his team mates at the magnificent White City that afternoon (got all their autographs in my prog!!) WERE Vladimirs..: Paznikov (who I really can't recall anything else about.. :unsure: ) and one of the two famous Gordeev brothers in the team, who made several World Finals (the younger one was Valeri); plus another rider who did well in a couple of WFs (indeed flirting with winning it in '73), Grigori Khlinovsky.

• Thanks 1

It remains one of the unfortunate things that the U S S R would not allow any of their riders to join U K or Scandinavian Speedway teams in the 1960s. It is a fair bet that Igor Plechanov or Boris Samorodov could have made it to number one in the World if they were allowed such freedom as todays riders enjoy. Also Kadirov, Gordeev and the likes would have made a great difference everywhere.

It remains one of the unfortunate things that the U S S R would not allow any of their riders to join U K or Scandinavian Speedway teams in the 1960s. It is a fair bet that Igor Plechanov or Boris Samorodov could have made it to number one in the World if they were allowed such freedom as todays riders enjoy.  Also Kadirov, Gordeev and the likes would have made a great difference everywhere.

Hello!

snapback, I see you are Norwich supporter! I ilke it, because I have my big friend mike kemp from there, and of course your great hero - Ove Fundin!

You can see Ove and Boris Samorodov at my home museum on last photo:

http://www.speedway1.narod.ru/new_site/gal...l23/page_01.htm

Did you rememeber test-match in Norwich, when our 4 russian riders beat all Norwich team? It was great!

Regards.

Hi Igor ..... Yes I know Mike Kemp. He is a Norwich Stars fanatic.

That match at Norwich was simply fantastic. I was there that night. Even the Ove fans would not have minded if one of the U S S R riders had beat him that night but, of course, Ove got the 18 point maximum. (Just the normal for him). It seemed that the big news was made if anyone beat Ove as it didn't happen much at Norwich. As you no doubt know that was the last season at the "Fabulous Firs Stadium" before they ripped it down but at least we still have the memories

Today is the 75th anniversary of Gab Kadyrovs birth

born 27.01.1941 died 31.07.1993

• Like 1