British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
norbold

Ken McKinlay

Gem: If the Mercury print the date, time and place of the funeral, could you post that info on here. I passed the sad news on to Col Smith and Jimmy Mac, and they would both like to pay their last respects to Ken, so the info would be much appreciated. Thanks. RIP Ken.

Yes, will do that.

There have been no details up to now, but I don't think Ken had any family living in Leicester did he?

Will post as soon as I receive my newspaper.

Like many other people I first saw Ken McKinlay ride at West Ham in 1969.Made the bobble hat such a fashion icon! He rode with such ease, making riding a speedway bike look so easy. Ken took his trade after leaving the Hammeres in 1970 to Coventry, Oxford and finally Scunthorpe. Remember him riding at Rye House for the Stags and he really did ride like the gentleman he really was.My thoughts are with the his family and friends.

RIP Ken McKinlay

No details of Ken's funeral in the 'paper, just an article about his career, but bear with me and I will find out when someone who should know gets home from work.

Have now found out and the funeral will be next Thursday 20th February, at Gilroes Crematorium, Leicester, at 10.15 am. No flowers by request, but donations if wished to the British Heart Foundation.

Thanks Gemini. I'll pass that info on to Col and Jimmy Mac. By the way Ken was greatly admired and respected by Jimmy.

From a speedway supporter from 1962 I saw Ken from 1965 and it was

always a pleasure to see him ride. Condolences to his family.

My dad has just come round and he likes to catch up on what is going on in the forum have just read this thread to him and he would like to add some comments:

Ken was a gentleman always had time for his public, rode as a true professional always immaculately turned out and well liked by all who rode against him. It was a pleasure to have known him and actually watch him ride.

That was what dad had to say!

And your Dad has summed Ken up perfectly.

Several people have added their thoughts of Ken in the Leicester Mercury - his wife, sons and daughter etc. but no details of his funeral have been released so obviously this will be for relatives and friends only.

Guest hurriken

I am Kens youngest son and would just like to thank all of you who have posted for your condolonces, and kind words about my Dad. Some have brought a smile to my face while others a tear. I last spoke to Dad the week before he died ( I live in Australia ) and while we had a nice chat I could tell how fed up he was at being in hospital so long. He had been there since August/Sept and should have been home in a week but it didn't turn out that way. My memories of seeing Dad ride were vaguely at Claremont as a very young boy, once at Leicester for Oxford in 72 and quite a lot of meetings at Scunthorpe. Plus the once at Cov in the Golden Greats! The funeral is Thursday 20th at Gilrose as stated earlier. I will be there in spirit.

Hurriken ... thank you for taking time out to reply to our postings on here, it must be hard for you being so far away from home and your family.

I think when I say send regards to your family, it goes for everyone on the forum you are in our thoughts xx

I was not lucky enough to meet your dad, but as my dad said earlier he met and watched your dad ride and he was the perfect gentleman xx

I thought you had told us details of the funeral in an earlier post Gemini?

Sorry for the confusion M.L. What I meant was no details of the time or date of the funeral had been released by Ken's family in our local paper so I presumed it would just be for relatives and friends. However, today (or yesterday now) the funeral details were given.

Thank you hurriken for adding your thoughts and our hearts go out to you at this sad time.

So sad to hear of the passing of Ken MacKinley. I have very vivid memories of "Mac" and Chum Taylor launching themselves after the field at Claremont during handicap races. They were both on handicaps of about 150 - 140 yards behind the starting line, which put them very near to the pits gate so I always had a good view of them. Before handicap races were limited to a maximum of 150 yards, it wasn't uncommon to see riders starting from 200 to 250 yards behind the field. This put some of them in the backstraight and Ken was usually there with them!

However, the most enduring memory I have of him comes from the very first time a speedway Test match was held at Claremont. In one of the heats, Australia's Greg Kentwell and Chum Taylor absolutely flew out of the gate and with Chum taking the high line and Kentwell the lower, they tore onto the back straight with at least a 20 metre lead. It looked for all the world like an easy 5 - 1 win to our mob, but we hadn't reckoned on the determination of one very tough little Scot. And neither had Chum Taylor or Greg Kentwell!

"Mac" chased and chased and right on the death, on the last bend, he caught and passed them by riding right between the two of them! Chum must have felt as if his pocket had been picked when MacKinley suddenly appeared by his left elbow and pinched the race!

There was a standing ovation as he returned to the pits and even though Australia won the match, that is still the one race I think of whenever I am reminded of that Test match.

Very sad to hear of Ken's passing. Apart from his superb riding ability, Ken was known throughout speedway to have the most immaculate leathers and equipment. Everything about him was 'pristine'.

Never to be forgotten Ken.

Brian Hamilton

Oxford

Sad news-not sure but think Ken was born in 1928-which would make him 78 or so. Anybody out in forumland remember how close he came to winning World Title-I think in 1956-he was top with one race remaining I think-but fell in what looked like his easiest race. A great competitor.