British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Meth Head

Olsen Must Go

it was reported on here yesterday that the track wasn't looking too good after heavy rainfall why wait til 3 heats have gone before calling it off :?: :P

Nail on the head Shazzy. Calling it off mid meeting was like airing your dirty laundry in public ! Much better to make the decision early.

I think Olsen is now too far removed from current riders ! Let someone younger and closer to today’s riders have a go !

I hope John Postlethwaite's got two new paper weights on his desk this morning in the shape of Ole Olsen's knackers.

(Two bricks & a length of cheese wire smilie)

Now I'm the last person to defend Olsen as I think the guy is so far up his own ass he'd need a spade to dig himself out again but one thing I have noticed is that people moan about Olsen being too much of a busy body. He pokes his nose into everything and tries to be "the man", right? Now, when something goes wrong we all shout out that Olsen neglected his duties and should be hung. Can anyone else spot the inconsistancy here?

Personally, I think BSI are getting an easy ride critisim-wise here but I stand to be corrected as I'm not 100% sure of their involvement. I do know that the Postlethwaite chappie seems very personable so therefore will receive less critisism than Olsen who let's face it, asks for it with his attitude.

BSI promote the sport - is this right? Well last night was a farce so therefore as promotors they should not be entierly blameless surely? I'm asking questions here, not making accusations so please don't misqoute me as so many here often do....

You can assess this situation on two levels and ask who is to blame for the two points:

1) The unrideable track and who was to blame.

2) The way in which the abandoment was handled and who is to blame.

Personally I think everyone involved could've made an effort to make the handling of that situation better than they did but we were all caught with our knickers down weren't we! ;)

we were all caught with our knickers down weren't we! ;)

You speak for yourself mate, I learnt a long time ago how to run fast with them round my ankles.

(Those were the days smilie)

If John Postlewhaite really wants to upest Olsen, he should appoint Hans Nielsen as race director!

Olsen always had it in for Nielsen - he didn't like the fact that there was another Dane better than he was!!

It led to friction between Nielsen & Erik Gundersen, during their racing careers, although fortunately the two now get on well.

But there's still little love between Olsen & Nielsen.

All the best

Rob

I know last night was a shambles but i think for everyone to be calling for Ole Olsen to quit is a little harsh, do you really think he wanted a track like that? most of the man made tracks this season have been ok and they are improving all the while and especially cardiff was a good surface. I know Ole likes to get stuck into it and maybe sometimes push`s his position to far but there are more people involved last night than ole olsen. Maybe the riders should have asked to go out saturday morning or even by looking at the track they could tell what kind of racing they might get ? these are the best riders in the world so it puzzles me why they even went out for one race!! what i`m trying to say is that i know Ole isn`t on everyone`s xmas list but for people to point the finger at him alone is not fair. Maybe people would like the British Grand prix at Brandon again next year and have all the GP`s at speedway tracks again and even then i guess people are going to moan about the tracks then.

i`v said my bit and waffled loads so i`ll leave it at that and let you guys have a go back at me and say how wrong i am etc etc.

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :?: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I see from the press release from Sweden that SVEMO have accepted full responsibilty for last nights track and the job of track preperation for the re-staging has been given to race director Ole Olsen and his team after doing such a good job of laying the track in Copenhagen for the G.P. there. I don't know why people are so keen to jump on the, off with Olsen's head band wagon, do you seriously think that he would want a track like that, and if so, why. The track at Vojens for the WTC was bad as well, but speedway is not held there anymore. Did anyone complain about Vojens when it was reguarly in use staging many meetings including G.P.'s, the track was prepared by Ole then too. He has been preparing the track at Cardiiff, has that not improved surface wise.? As far as I am aware he is not in charge of track preperation for every G.P., some federations choose to do it themselves. There is more to the job of race director than just track work.

At the end of the day the butt stops at Olsen. He's the one that gives the track the OK. Also questions must be asked about the referee. He should have made a decision about that track before a wheel was turned.

I also agree with Rob, bring in an ex GP rider like Hans to call the shots. He is far more in touch with today's sport than Olsen.

As far as I am aware he is not in charge of track preperation for every G.P., some federations choose to do it themselves. There is more to the job of race director than just track work.

Is'nt that Russell man (You know the one that looks almost as orange as Jon Cook :P ) incharge @ Cardiff, he was the one giving the interview regarding the track preparation.

Race Director is that a posh word for the 70's title Clerk of the Course? or are these two different positions so that one can blame the other :lol:;)

Bottom line, Ole has the best interest of the sport within his heart. He was a tough competitor obviously back when, and still, is now. For anyone to write him off now is a huge mistake. All I can say ... Is More Dirt Ole! Mistake forgiven. 8)

It's alright re running the meeting, but how do they expect the travelling fans to afford to go back again? If I had been there I wouldn't have been able to get back again the next week. All this stuff at the start of the meeting next week will be great, but not if you can't get back again.

If Mr Olsen thinks he's the bees knees then he should make a few good decisions. No wonder Jesper B doesn't get on with Jacob Olsen, if he's anything like his father I can see why.

Hans for the job - great idea, or even Ivan Mauger or Barry Briggs, someone who has a bit upstairs. Maybe even get Colin Meredith and Bob Dugard, they seem to cope ok on our tracks here, give them a go at it. Anyone but Mr I have to know what's happening and I'm in charge Olsen.

My say over now, just don't like the bloke.

Do agree as Race Director Ole is responsible, he would not have riden any of the one off tracks that have been prepared so far. However more often than not the man at the top is not the one to go, will probably be Philip Rising his assistant for the chop.

Big problem is that John Poslethwaite, whilst trying to race the image of the GP has moved to quickly. By all means move into a stadium lay a track and if it works go forward, but to take the GP to all the main cities without getting the product right has done untold harm to the sport we all love.

On sky they was saying the other night that they used the same material last year and only just got away with it and were warned, so why the hell did they try and use it again!? cutting costs maybe???

Maybe even get Colin Meredith and Bob Dugard, they seem to cope ok on our tracks here, give them a go at it.

Two mentioned above excellent idea andget Trackman alongside what a wonderful team they would make and what wonderful entertaining racing to ;) give them a go, certainly can't do any worse :!: