British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
drakey

Will Sky Show Grand Prix next week.

moi???? er occasionally !! :D

no advertising for the GP coverage on the SKY match tonight!!!

Do we have our answer surrounding the question "will sky show it next saturday?"

:-( :x

I noticed that as well, kept shouting at the tv...Are you showing the GP?, obviously they didn't answer.

I noticed that as well, kept shouting at the tv...Are you showing the GP?, obviously they didn't answer.

Maybe because it's the Bank Holiday cs.

Methinks those who will make the decisions and those they need to speak to won't be back at work till tomorrow. All's not lost........................yet!!

I'll keep my fingers crossed then

Never even dawned on me that it wouldn't be shown so what with Mark riding I cancelled a weekend away so I could stay at home and watch it. It would be the first one I've watched live this year. Some people just can't win!!!

I really cannot believe that everyone posting on here simply wants to see the re-staged GP and doesn't have a care in the world about British Speedway.

I will try to make this as short as I can.

BSI ( or their sub contractors) cocked up big time with the Ullevi track ( I'm not getting into blame here)

BSI in tandem with the FIM decided in 10 minutes flat to disregard their own rules regarding the restaging.

BSI do not pay the riders (except for the top 5 or 6) enough to make a living out of GPs

This means that

British Speedway who pays the GP riders enough to enable them to equip themselves, qualify and then continue in the GP series are expected at 5 days notice to cancel vital EL matches, which may well affect the cut off time for the play offs. Which in turn could jeopardise the TV contract with Sky, as their play off dates are already decided and advertised, with no compensation or even worse consultation. If these meetings go ahead ( which I believe they should) with out GP riders it could well affect the result of the winning of the EL this season. This is the same British Speedway that already has to forfeit seeing their own well paid assets in competition because they are competing in the GPs. That is not to mention the increased risk of those assets becoming injured in GPs ( on less than perfect tracks) and in qualifying competitions etc. The same British Speedway that has had to form it's fixture lists around just 9 GP rounds sometimes running on off nights at a financial loss.

I will make it clear here I am no lover of the Elite League, thankfully Lynn are now PL but IMO this is possibly the best chance BRITISH speedway ever has to stand up for itself or forever be trodden underfoot by BSI, who lets face it don't give a tinkers fart for anything except the GP series and are quite happy for British speedway to supply them with a regular supply of riders.

I am not against the GP series as such, but strongly believe that BSI must be made to take British speedway into account more than they do now. As it is IMO, British promoters, and presumably British fans are financially subsidising the majority of GP riders and BSI are more than happy to allow it to continue. If it does continue how many more EL clubs are going to say enough is enough, we can't afford it. Which in turn puts more pressure on the Premier League, which from where I am looking has things just about right.

Think about it, Sky televising the restaged GP is not the question we should be asking. The question we should be asking is why isn't the Scandanavian GP being rescheduled for later in the season, if necessary at a normal track and not at Ullevi.

Rather than moaning, pleading and praying that Sky show the re-staged GP should the question not be whether BSI should restage the GP at a later date, after discussion with British and Polish tracks that pay the GP riders?

End of rant.

hear hear...

best post on the forum in ages :!:

apart from Lt's smilies of course

I am concerned for British Speedway......................but theres not alot us "joe bloggs" speedway fans can do!

Its down to the BSPA and the FIM and BSI!

:x :x :x :x

I am concerned for British Speedway......................but theres not alot us "joe bloggs" speedway fans can do!

Its down to the BSPA and the FIM and BSI!

Well for a start I think the British Promoters might appreciate being told the fans are behind them on this one and if they do run their matches on Friday and Saturday I hope they get good crowds.

I'll shut up now cos I've had my say :)

Dead right SL.

It's a pity that all British Speedway fans can't see the bigger picture. OK so it's good to watch the top riders racing against one another for the World Championship BUT NOT at the expense of our leagues. I still think it would have been possible to restage the meeting on Sunday at a permanent swedish track, all the equipment and riders and fans were there. But BSI wouldn't do that because half their sponsors are the Polish arm of the big companies and they know they wouldn't have been happy with all the top riders out of their Polish League meetings. BUT they had

no hesitation restaging it next Saturday when it hits BRITISH RACING big time!! Surely no british fan can disagree that there is something wrong with their decision??

We await their press release tomorrow, surely they will cancel the event completely or hold it on a mutually agreed date with the world leagues?

I agree Star Lady, and made a similar point in the Elite League section on the GP rescheduling thread.

It was interesting to see Mark Loram interviewed by Jonathan Green and Chris Louis on Sky this evening. When he was asked whether he would be at the GP on Saturday he said words to the effect of "Yes, I havent heard anything or seen any press releases to say otherwise." This, despite him knowing that he already has a commitment to ride for Eastbourne against Poole on Saturday. I was hoping he would say words to the effect of "Well we will have to wait and see because as far as I was concerned I was riding for Eastbourne against Poole on Saturday". I get the impression that the riders would much rather risk the wrath of their clubs than BSI. Perhaps I am wrong!

I'm not having a pop at Mark by the way. He is a rider I admire enormously, but I think his interview gave a good example of the mindset of a GP rider.

We await their press release tomorrow, surely they will cancel the event completely or hold it on a mutually agreed date with the world leagues?

Hope they dont cancel it altogether..............Im sure Jason Crump doesnt either!(as far as i know he has to win all the rermaining rounds to become WC)

Even if it means them holding the Scandanavian GP elsewhere(maybe a league track) at the end of the year(maybe between the last 2???)

All the GP riders should get the fair amount of GPs(having one less could change alot of aspects in the final standings)..............but British League shouldnt have to suffer because of it!

........................... but I think his interview gave a good example of the mindset of a GP rider.

I agree with most of what has been said above. G the Bee makes a very valid point. As we don't have a squad system every rider is, in effect, self employed. Like any successful self employed person, they are driven to maximise their earnings. The GP riders are winners. They want to compete with and beat the best and win titles. In order to do this they must compete in the GP's. In order to compete in the GP's they must maximise their income from other sources to buy the best gear and employ the best backroom staff.

In other words, they aren't really EL, Polish league nor Swedish league club assets being 'loaned' to the FIM. For many of them, having got there, it's the only reason they ride at all!! They, the riders, are loaning their services to the leagues so I can't see how we can blame BSI, the FIM nor anyone else for this situation. However, the solution is in the league's hands. If they don't employ them, or restrict them to riding in only one league, the spiralling cost and excessive injury problem is, as far as the paying public are concerned, solved at a stroke.

I,m not sure what the best solution to the GP/ EL clash is but here are my thoughts :

In the EEC ( soon to be expanded ) a rider surely has the right to work in any or all of the member States :?: would the BSPA challenge this by restricting their riders to only one country :?:

I don,t know who exactly are BSI are, or if they have divided loyalties in speedway/ TV companies :?:

I am absolutely stunned that Ullevi the venue for World Finals over many years needs a track layed at all :!:

Doesnt a temporary track need testing on thursday and if theres a problem there is more time to sort it :?:

Apart from GPs the present split of 9 EL 18 Premier is just not right and I think most Speedway people know it.

Maybe this fiasco is just what was needed to kickstart some clear headed discussion and dare I say it Decision making by those in authority well before next season is upon us. :shock::lol: :evil: