British Speedway Forum
Vincent Vega

Memories Of Waterden Road

Hmm, Hackney swallowing up Crayford would be my description of the events of 1984 (not '83)..!!!  :o

my point was that 1983 was the last season of racing on the original circuit. 1984 was a new team and a new track, just as it was in 1996.

my point was that 1983 was the last season of racing on the original circuit. 1984 was a new team and a new track, just as it was in 1996.

Did they change the track in 1984..?? :unsure:

I was so disgusted at what had happened to my team (Crayford) that I didn't venture to see the Kestrels at Waterden Rd.!! :cry:

I was so disgusted at what had happened to my team (Crayford) that I didn't venture to see the Kestrels at Waterden Rd.!! :cry:

the track in 1984 was reduced in size from 345 yards to 320 yards. i believe this was done because of the position of the lamp standards on the bends. as for the hackney kestrels they were no different than the west ham bombers or the dreaded eastbourne dons. two wrongs don't always make a right. as a lifelong wimbledon fan myself, i refused to go to arlington when we moved there. what could be worse, it would be like arsenal groundsharing at white hart lane!.

And never shopped at Sainsbury's since??? :unsure:

Least you still had a team :cry:

Least you still had a team  :cry:

WHAT???!!! :o

How on earth do you work that one out...??!! :blink:

Crayford had closed, shazzy!! The fact that a number of the riders and the Kestrels name re-emerged at Hackney was in no way relevant to the fact that our track and our club had been wiped off the map!!!! :cry:

Crayford had closed, shazzy!!  The fact that a number of the riders and the Kestrels name re-emerged at Hackney was in no way relevant to the fact that our track and our club had been wiped off the map!!!! :cry:

Thing is Parsnips old fruit there was no alternative with the stadium about to be demolished and replaced with the Sainsburys which dominates the old site now. There's a much smaller greyhound stadium more or less where the pits car park used to be but, sadly, it's not big enough to encompass the return of speedway.

So blame Sainsburys / Ladbrokes - personally I have never used either of their services since! :wink:

Crayford had closed, shazzy!!  The fact that a number of the riders and the Kestrels name re-emerged at Hackney was in no way relevant to the fact that our track and our club had been wiped off the map!!!! :cry:

I agree with Parsloes :blink:

Same when the Dons moved to Eastbourne.It wasn't the same.It certainly wasn't my club,just because they were called the Dons and had Wimbledon riders in the team.By the time i went to Eastbourne they were called the Eagles again.Which is what they were in the first place imo

Thing is Parsnips old fruit there was no alternative with the stadium about to be demolished and replaced with the Sainsburys which dominates the old site now. There's a much smaller greyhound stadium more or less where the pits car park used to be but, sadly, it's not big enough to encompass the return of speedway.

So blame Sainsburys / Ladbrokes - personally I have never used either of their services since!  :wink:

There may well have been no alternative but it was Hackney's track that was saved by the machinations of that set of events not Crayford's.

So, no blame obviously on Hackney; but equally no relevance either to Kent fans like me..

Sure I know you went every week to Hackney to carry on your support of the Kestrels and fair play to you: for many (surely the majority..) of Crayford fans, it was simply the end of the line.

Personally, I went to just eleven meetings in total in the next TEN years after '83!!!!! :o

THAT'S the legacy every time a track closes down in this sport of ours.. :cry:

So, no blame obviously on Hackney;

That doesn't quite equate to your rarlier comment:

Hmm, Hackney swallowing up Crayford would be my description of the events of 1984

Does it? :unsure:

Sure I know you went every week to Hackney to carry on your support of the Kestrels and fair play to you: for many (surely the majority..) of Crayford fans, it was simply the end of the line.

Personally, I went to just eleven meetings in total in the next TEN years after '83!!!!! :o

THAT'S the legacy every time a track closes down in this sport of ours.. :cry:

Same for me in reverse. The end of the Hawks and the end of Hackney riding top flight speedway was the end for me. Just couldn't get into it any more and i didn't go to another meeting in 15 years!

I've always been a snob! :P

Same for me in reverse. The end of the Hawks and the end of Hackney riding top flight speedway was the end for me. Just couldn't get into it any more and i didn't go to another meeting in 15 years!

I've always been a snob!  :P

Must say that the Hackney Kestrels side was a great side to watch.Paul Whittaker was one of my favourite riders at the time,when he could regularly get double figures from the reserve spot.

You definetely missed some great speedway

If you loved the Hawks then dig into you speedway collection. Have you any pictures, programmes or other stuff.

The defunct tracks website would love to hear from you email me at jskinner06@btinternet.com

Must say that the Hackney Kestrels side was a great side to watch.

That they were ..... but they wasn't 'ackney was they :cry: ok they had part of the name but they weren't 'awks :cry: