British Speedway Forum
Vincent Vega

Memories Of Waterden Road

Perhaps the truth is that both lost. Crayford lost their track and Hackney Hawks their team. Obviously the loss of the stadium is far greater but the old Hackney in many ways was lost too, with another set-up using the bricks and mortar.

To me a Hackney Kestrels fan would talk about the all-conquering 1988 season whereas a Hackney Hawks fan would talk about the great racing, the great characters such as Barry Thomas and Zenon Plech, and how amazing it was when Hackney had a winning team.

Ultimately when we lose these tracks it is like the death of a loved-one and supporters of more stable sports like football are far less likely to bear our losses. It helps when there's a separate set of rules for the national sport I guess.

Rayleigh, Hackney, Crayford, I miss them all, and Wimbledon, Canterbury and all the others where I mis-spent my youth.

Rob.

yet again i agree, i still mourn for all the lost tracks in london and the south east. in my era of attending speedway 1968 to date we have lost too many. it's hard not to get nostalgic when you think of the good times we have had.

And you're not telling me that Hackney fans didn't regard the Hackney team which brought the NL and other trophies back to Hackney in 1988 as a Hackney team?!  :o 

Ermmmmm going by some of the replies I think thats exactly what I'm saying :wink:

Ermmmmm going by some of the replies I think thats exactly what I'm saying  :wink:

Well, all I can say is I'm glad the internet wasn't around 25 years ago when Crayford was closed down without the promoter so much as even telling its supporters what he was planning..: as the comments made on here by some Hackney supporters are extremely insensitive...

At the end of the day, you had 8 more years at Hackney (then another in '96..) than we had at Crayford, yet somehow it's Hackney being depicted as some kind of victims of a 'sting'!! :o

I suppose it was also true in 1996 that Arena Essex came and stole away your track was it..??!! :blink::unsure:

Well, all I can say is I'm glad the internet wasn't around 25 years ago when Crayford was closed down without the promoter so much as even telling its supporters what he was planning..: as the comments made on here by some Hackney supporters are extremely insensitive...

At the end of the day, you had 8 more years at Hackney (then another in '96..) than we had at Crayford, yet somehow it's Hackney being depicted as some kind of victims of a 'sting'!! :o

I suppose it was also true in 1996 that Arena Essex came and stole away your track was it..??!! :blink:  :unsure:

It's fascinating to see, 25 years later that the true reason for Crayford closing has been revealed. Yes, the Hackney supporters did a secret deal with Terry Russell to steal the Kestrels.

I am reporting what I saw and heard. Many, many Hackney Hawks fans did feel invaded by strangers from south of the river, despite as I have already posted the Crayford loss was of course far greater. The point I am making is that BOTH sets of supporters lost in some way. It is relative, not absolute!

I am sure that nobody wanted Crayford to close. My view was that it was a dire track for racing and with questionable viewing angles, mainly upwards, and lacking in atmosphere but I still miss it, as I do my own far from perfect speedway at Rayleigh.

At the end of the day we believe what we believe and we miss what was ours, no matter what its imperfections.

I have seen no evidence of Hackney supporters believing they were victims of a "sting", merely that they were unhappy at losing their team, their entertaining racing circuit and finding strangers taking over the place. No amount of emoticons or extreme reaction will alter the fact that the opinions I have passed on were held.

Now, let me see if I can unravel the truth of how the Rye House Red Devil supporters forced the Rayleigh stadium management to sell to developers and to get Len Silver to transfer his Rockets to their track. Maybe speedyguy can help?

It's a pity that a thread that was so full of wonderful memories of Hackney has to a degree been spoilt. I guess I must take part of the blame so I shall refrain from posting further, except to summarise my own position - I enjoyed Hackney very much from 1973-83. It had a great atmosphere and wonderful racing. After 1984 it wasn't the same for me and many I know.

Apologies,

Rob.

Edited by rmc

It's a pity that a thread that was so full of wonderful memories of Hackney has to a degree been spoilt. I guess I must take part of the blame so I shall refrain from posting further, except to summarise my own position - I enjoyed Hackney very much from 1973-83. It had a great atmosphere and wonderful racing. After 1984 it wasn't the same for me and many I know.

Apologies,

Rob.

It's not been spoilt, Rob..: and it's me who should be apologising!! Not least for us inflicting that geezer Bryn on you all those years back!! ;)

I'm just sore coz no-one supplied the name of that stripper pub up the road from the track!! :wink:

I suppose it was also true in 1996 that Arena Essex came and stole away your track was it..??!! :blink:  :unsure:

No they took our race night that stopped us re-opening in the City actually :wink: oh and for the record it was a bit before 1996 :P

Edited by shazzybird

No they took our race night that stopped us re-opening in the City actually  :wink:  oh and for the record it was a bit before 1996 :P

My guess is it was nearer to 1988? :wink:

We closed October 1987 Chris Galvin was the one that was stitched up :cry:

We closed October 1987 Chris Galvin was the one that was stitched up  :cry:

Can't argue with that one - and we all know who stitched him up don't we? ;)

What are you on about..??!! :rolleyes::o

It WAS 1996, when Terry Russell repeated his trick of 1984 and moved his team into Hackney: abandoning Arena Essex in the process.

I've no idea what you're talking about..!! :neutral:

I'm sure you are absolutely 100% in what you are saying about Hackney being Hackney whether they be Hawks or Kestrels after all when I attended the Hackney re-union (were you there?) I remember seeing Bryn (but then he's part of the furniture at any track), I don't seem to remember a lot being said about Hackney when it was the "Kestrels" although there were a couple of riders there from the Kestrels, I could be wrong as I was sat with Keith, Thommo, Seanie Sheep, Mrs Sheep, TT, Auntie Denise and CH and slightly pickled by the time they played the Magnificent Seven theme tune :wink:

I also remember all the posters around the room and a very kind man (you know who you are :wink: ) sent me the 1975 one which takes pride of place on my wall yet again I don't remember anything for the "Hackney Kestrels" should of been really as they were Hackney but like I say they wasn't Hawks were they :wink:

After the Crayford lot took over 'ackney stadium I for one must admit I never went there very often afterwards and once we'd closed although it breaks my heart to say this I had to go to Eastbourne to get my speedway fix, Arena Essex was a no no as like I say they took our race night and that was something I never forgave them for, so even if we wanted to re-open the only day we were allowed race in the City was a Saturday and seeing as Arena had decided to slot in there that was us out even if the land down Sturry Road had come up trumps for us! Which could well of done if we could of had a racenight to take to the council it's now a car park :cry:

Hackney Hawks - Crayford Kestrels accept no immitations :approve:

What are you on about..??!! :rolleyes:  :o

It WAS 1996, when Terry Russell repeated his trick of 1984 and moved his team into Hackney: abandoning Arena Essex in the process.

I've no idea what you're talking about..!! :neutral:

The damage had already been done years before to the Hackney fans. Yep and look at Arena now Hackney - Closed Crayford - Closed Canterbury - Closed Arena Essex thriving in the Elite League! If only Terry Russell had been about in our era maybe our tracks would still be going and we wouldn't be having this conversation :approve:

Is Len Silver really publishing his autobiography-if so put me down for a copy right now!! Who's publishing it? Hope it will cover his days as a rider e.g. him winning the PLRC in 1962.

Len has been working in conjunction with a well-known writer on his life story for quite some time. From his early days as a young boy in London’s East End write up to the present day. It should be a fascinating read, like many I can’t wait either!

Hackney lost a certain element of course when BLD1 racing went 1983 when Len Silver left. Had Mr Russell not taken over the helm with Mr Pavitt would we have ever had speedway again at The Wick? I enjoyed the Kestrel days, thankful for speedway. Then like so many other fans, I had no track to go and support when Hackney closed in 1991. It was not until 2000 when Rye House returned I started to once again to follow speedway on a regular basis. Oh how I would love to be able to say

"Hackney was running in whatever division by whatever promoter!"