British Speedway Forum
KevH

Nelson Admirals

Hi Bob C

Thanks for putting me right about that Nelson webpage. 

I have a photo on the name the rider page of a vets race at rye house in which Kenny Smith wears the admirals jacket, apart from that, not a lot to go on YET

Hi Tsunami

If you speak to Kenny ask him please, if he has anything from his days at Nelson

OK, will be ringing him tomorrow. :D

:blink::blink:

Edited by Tsunami

Doing a bit of research on Nelson but I'm getting conflicting information, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a couple of things.

Nelson moved to Odsal in 1970. Why? Was it poor crowds and fixture congestion as stated in Homes of British Speedway, or a walkout, as suggested in a post on the defunct speedway site?

Also, HoBS says "they (Nelson) completed their fixtures as Bradford Northern." This suggests they were still their own team, but the league table suggests the two teams merged?

Doing a bit of research on Nelson but I'm getting conflicting information, so I'm hoping someone can shed some light on a couple of things.

Nelson moved to Odsal in 1970. Why? Was it poor crowds and fixture congestion as stated in Homes of British Speedway, or a walkout, as suggested in a post on the defunct speedway site?

Also, HoBS says "they (Nelson) completed their fixtures as Bradford Northern." This suggests they were still their own team, but the league table suggests the two teams merged?

try jack lee , (ex Buxton TM and now Sheffield TM) he rode for Nelson , he is on here as Rider Slider
  • Like 1

Nelson Admirals speedway moved to Bradford because the crowds at Nelson wern't very good, not helped by a ropey rough track which was shared with stock cars!

Edited by 25yearfan
  • Like 1

I never saw Nelson ride. My old man was a BL1 snob, it was a real struggle for me to get him to take me to any lower league speedway. My first two BL2 tracks were plymouth (holiday) and Romford (young Czechs). Not bad if I say so myself!

i rode for Nelson in 1968 and 69 and can fill you in with some details also Graham Tattersall son of the team manager has some photos and can help with any information you might need Graham still rides in demonstration meeting with the men in black