British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
chunky

The Best Riders...

Reading Bobbath's post on Leo McAuliffe, it made me think about who the best riders were, never to ride in a World Final. The riders mentioned - Tommy Miller, Charlie Monk, and Roy Trigg - are all names who surprisingly didn't make speedway's big night, but who else?

Some that spring to mind are Chris Pusey, Dave Morton, Bob Valentine, Ivor Brown, Norman Hunter, Dave Younghusband, Tony Davey, Geoff Mudge, and Arne Pander. However, for me, one stands out quite clearly - Bobby Schwartz. Not only was he a rider who could sustain a 9-point CMA in the British League, but he is the only World Pairs gold medalist never to have reached the individual final, and he won that twice!

I'd like to hear some of your suggestions...

Steve

Edited by chunky

Are you talking about riders riding since 1936?...because obviously the best rider never to reach a World Final was Tom Farndon with Frank Arthur a close runner-up.

Reading Bobbath's post on Leo McAuliffe, it made me think about who the best riders were, never to ride in a World Final.  The riders mentioned - Tommy Miller, Charlie Monk, and Roy Trigg - are all names who surprisingly didn't make speedway's big night, but who else?

Some that spring to mind are Chris Pusey, Dave Morton, Bob Valentine, Ivor Brown, Norman Hunter, Dave Younghusband, Tony Davey, Geoff Mudge, and Arne Pander.  However, for me, one stands out quite clearly - Bobby Schwartz.  Not only was he a rider who could sustain a 9-point CMA in the British League, but he is the only World Pairs gold medalist never to have reached the individual final, and he won that twice!

I'd like to hear some of your suggestions...

Steve

Ronnie Genz was always in the top ten averages in the 60s and missed qualifying outright for the 61 Final in Gothenberg after tying at Wembley on 7 points with two other riders. They went through to the 16 because they had won heats whereas Genno did not. He qualified as reserve but could not go as he needed eye surgery.

I always think of Charlie Monk in this regard-was at the British Final at West Ham in1965 when he just missed out after looking like a cert earlier in the meeting.Ken McKinlay got thru who had already been at a number of World Finals aand in my view was getting on and had had his chance.I thought oh well Charlie is young and will have a number of chances and is bound to get there another time.But sadly henever got that close again.Another name I would add to the list is George Hunter,also Jack Kitchen and for sure Roy Trigg perhaps also Dave Younghusband.

Arne Pander and Sandor Levai come to mind at present, but no doubt many today never have the chance to ride as it is "invitation only"

Arne Pander and Sandor Levai come to mind at present, but no doubt many today never have the chance to ride as it is "invitation only"

Star Ghost, I never really rated Sandor Levai and just felt he was a hard rider and never in the category of a WC Finalist. Now Arne Pander was something else, a quite brilliant rider even after his serious smash at Coventry. He of course had to get throught the then Scandinavian, Continental and European Qualifiers which was ver tough. To be fair to him he was unlucky with injuries to ankles, wrists & shoulder at the crucial times of the qualifiers. Like kenny Carter, Arne rode with

plaster casts on his leg and wrist on many occasions.

:D:) Well Brian - I am biased because Sandor was a Norwich Star at one time so he must have been good.

As you say Arne was beset with injuries. He lived in South Norfolk for a time and used to play for a local pub pool team. He was always good to talk to when he came to ours with his team. I do not know whereabouts he is nowadays.

I'm sorry star ghost, but I would agree with Brian. Arne Pander certainly, but Sandor Levai, hmm.....

I'm sorry star ghost, but I would agree with Brian. Arne Pander certainly, but Sandor Levai, hmm.....

Sandor Levai was good, and I did think about listing him. However, Arne Pander was definitely World Final material.

With regard to Bobbath's post, both George Hunter and Jack Kitchen went through my mind.

Steve

Are you talking about riders riding since 1936?...because obviously the best rider never to reach a World Final was Tom Farndon with Frank Arthur a close runner-up.

When I started the thread, I did think about that!

Steve

what about bobby schwartz who proved his class on international duty with his country but never made the big night maybe he was too much of a team man than an individual performer

Er, chunky made this exact point in his opening post on this thread..!!! :o Did you not read it..??!! :rolleyes::o

Hi parsloes, although Bobby Schwartz should have nade the WF he was certainly not as tall as Graham Miles!!!!!!!!!!

sorry steve i should have read it more thoroughly before diving in :oops::rolleyes:

Edited by mervjankefanclub

Thinking some more of this what about Jim Squibb, I also thought Norman Hunter was finally going to the top when he was with Wolves-but then he had that terrible accident in when was it 1969 I think.However if I had to pick just one-I would have to go with Arne Pander.

Thinking some more of this what about Jim Squibb, I also thought Norman Hunter was finally going to the top when he was with Wolves-but then he had that terrible accident in when was it 1969 I think.However if I had to pick just one-I would have to go with Arne Pander.

I will admit, other than Schwartz, Pander and Hunter (Norman that is) are two who really stand out.

Steve