British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Tom & Joe Owen

As a Newcastle fan I suppose I should know lots about the Owens but my memory is rubbish. I remember that they came to us from Barrow and Joe also road for Ellesmere Port but it is all a bit hazy. Did Tom ride for Stoke at some stage.

Can anyone supply a bit of history of the brothers

Sure others can fill you in better than me.especially with years and averages.But Tom did ride for Stoke.Was Joe team manager?Joe also rode in the top league with Hull

Ah yes Joe rode for Hull for 2 or 3 seasons I think?

Did Tom turn out for Newport?

Did Tom turn out for Newport?

Yes,Tom rode for Newport.Doubling up in his first year with the Diamonds,plus also rode for Hull while at Barrow

JOE OWEN Barrow(73,74),BelleVue(74),Newcastle(75,76,82,83,84),Hull(75,76,77,78,79,80,81),

Hackney(75),Leicester(82,83), EllesmerePort(85)

TOM OWEN Barrow(72,73,74),Hull(74,75,76,77,78),Newport(74,75),Newcastle(75,76,77,78,79,80

,81,82,87),Stoke(83,84,85,86),Wolves(84)

Only the third ever Speedway meeting I attended, was Barrow at Kingsmead in July 1973 losing by just one point (39-38) to the Crusaders with both Joey (as he was then known) and Tom Owen in the Bombers side...

One of the greatest individual performances I ever saw at second division level was by Joe, two years later in '75, when the Diamonds narrowly won a NNL match at Arlington.

Joe remains my third favourite rider of all-time (behind Peter Collins and Buzz Burrows) with whom he shares the ability to entertain and provide excitement way beyond the norm in our sport..

Tom was also a legend to us at Crayford: winning the individual title, the Kentish Times Trophy a barely believable FIVE times in a row: '75 to '79 inclusive!!!

Can't have a thread like this without mentioning the 3rd Owen brother, Ritchie.

Can remember him at Ellesmere in the mid 80's I think?

Tom and Joe were team mates in arguably the finest side to grace the National League.

The 1982 Newcastle Diamonds lost a mere 6 times in 36 matches with a worst defeat of 51-45!

1982 averages:

Joe Owen 11.01

Rod Hunter 10.12

Bobby Beaton 9.01

Alan Emerson 7.81

Keith Bloxsome 7.35

Tom Owen 7.12

Robbie Foy 3.65

What I recall (being a mere 13yr old at the time!) was that Ian Thomas used his Hull assets to construct a side just within the boundaries of the then 50 point limit.

The other promoters were up in arms, and saw the Diamonds romp home to a League and Cup double. For good measure Joe triumphed in the NLRC at Plough Lane, and they also claimed the inagural Supernational.

Always had a soft spot for the "Lada" Diamonds (and glad the Dons didn't have to face them at the time!).

1982 averages:

Joe Owen  11.01

Rod Hunter  10.12

Bobby Beaton 9.01

Alan Emerson 7.81

Keith Bloxsome 7.35 

Tom Owen 7.12

Robbie Foy 3.65

You won't get team averages like that these days given how weak the product is. I've compared it with Belle Vue's team last year, and six of Newcastle's team had higher averages than the highest Belle Vue rider!

Simon Stead 6.90

Joe Screen 6.62

Kevin Doolan 5.57

Adam Skornicki 4.89

James Wright 4.85

Billy Forsgerg 4.41

Laukkanen 4.39

Antonio Lindback 4.15

Ryan Fisher 3.00

Tom and Joe were team mates in arguably the finest side to grace the National League.

The 1982 Newcastle Diamonds lost a mere 6 times in 36 matches with a worst defeat of 51-45!

What I recall (being a mere 13yr old at the time!) was that Ian Thomas used his Hull assets to construct a side just within the boundaries of the then 50 point limit.

The other promoters were up in arms, and saw the Diamonds romp home to a League and Cup double. For good measure Joe triumphed in the NLRC at Plough Lane, and they also claimed the inagural Supernational.

Always had a soft spot for the "Lada" Diamonds (and glad the Dons didn't have to face them at the time!).

Got a sense of deja vu over this, coz it also sounded very much like the Newcastle team of 1976!! Joe was NLRC winner that year too (the year shazzy's uncle made the rostrum!! ;) ); and with Tom also in his prime, the Diamonds swept to the NNL title losing on this occasion just THREE times!

I mention this not so that it's apparent, by remembering further back, that I am indeed older than you, BP(!!): but perhaps mainly, coz one of the paltry 3 times the all-conquering Byker boys lost was - wait for it!! - at Crayford: by the legendary score of 40-38!

Like you, I too had a soft spot for the Owen bros led Newcastle sides of this era..

I'm sure someone will point out in due course that in 1988 a side won the NL outdoing even the Diamonds' impressive record by losing but twice all term.. 'Twas of course that team beginning with 'H'!! ;)

To that eventual posting, let me get this point in first: the 1988 Kestrels contained no fewer than FIVE of the 1983 Crayford version..!!! :neutral:

It's a shame but my abiding memory of Joe was seeing his awful crash at Bordesley Green which left him paralysed. It happened right in front of where I was standing. Such a big, big shame for the bloke, a great rider, no question.

didnt joe also have a life threatening crash while at hull and was very lucky to survive i can always remember reading one of those rider profiles i cant remember the rider but he did mention seeing joe in the dressing room a while after that crash and commenting on how horrific his scars were

the thing i remember about tom was seeing him standing on the centre green at blantyre one year and how out of shape his leg was it curved inwards didnt he miss a whole season with this badly broken leg 1980 or 81 and the diamonds used R/R all season :unsure:

they also met each other for the silver helmet did they not and i have heard diamonds fans commenting on how when they faced each other in second halves they were no holds barred affairs

Edited by mervjankefanclub

didnt joe also have a life threatening crash while at hull and was very lucky to survive i can always remember reading one of those rider profiles i cant remember the rider but he did mention seeing joe in the dressing room a while after that crash and commenting on how horrific his scars were

the thing i remember about tom was seeing him standing on the centre green at blantyre one year and how out of shape his leg was it curved inwards didnt he miss a whole season with this badly broken leg 1980 or 81 and the diamonds used R/R all season :unsure:

they also met each other for the silver helmet did they not and i have heard diamonds fans commenting on how when they faced each other in second halves they were no holds barred affairs

I saw Tom a few years ago and his leg just defied physics. I thought it curved outwards and would have bet that it would break if he walked on it very long. Not nice to see.

At Newcastle Tom used to go out and dig a hole in the entrance to the 3rd bend then cover it up. This was known as Tom's hole and the opposition then had to find out where he had dug it. Built in home advantage.

You mention Tom being missing a season and us using R/R all season. It was due to Thomas doing such things that the BSPA started to only allow R/R for definate periods such as 28 days to stop such happenings. Obviously much later on, they cottoned on to starting a season with R/R and stopped the R/R or guests for the missing rider.

:blink::blink:

Ian Thomas, always a wily character, took advantage of a loophole in the regulations, which meant British League riders dropping into the National League were given an assessed 7.50 average. Theoretically, that meant that the likes of Kenny Carter, Michael Lee, Chris Morton and Peter Collins would've had 7.50 averages had they dropped to the National League.

In Newcastle's case, Joe Owen and Bobby Beaton were the two riders given assessed 7.50 averages and, as can be seen, they averaged somewhat higher, with Owen making an absolute nonsense of his.

Needless to say, the rules were changed for the 1983 season, with riders dropping to the National League having their average assessed by means of increasing their British League average by a factor of 1.5, thus a 8.00 averaged British League rider would have an assessed average of 12.00.

Edited by Subedei

yes,both of them rode for Newport,but in Joe`s case i think it was only a one off if you see what i mean.

Tom,on the other hand rode for us often,can always remember he used to miss the gate and watch everybody go out to the fence on the first and second bend,and then he would sneak around the curb and come out either leading or behind his partner.

not an easy manovoure to make at the old Somerton Park :)