British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Brian Leonard

These threads on people like Bungay,Major etc I really enjoy-so what happened to Brian-I recall him as a West Ham second string in 65 along with Simmo-altho'Brian perhaps never got to the top -a valued contributor to our sport nevertheless.

My favourite rider as a nipper. Big sidies and white leathers and boots.

His BL career (65 onwards) was

BRIAN LEONARD Poole(65),West Ham(65,66,67,68,69,70),Hackney(69),Newport(70),Wembley(70,71),Swindon(72,73,74,7

6),Leicester(75),Oxford(76,77,78) Born NEWBURY ENG 19.02.1946

Yes he was a nice guy-see he'd be 61 now-hard to believe-anyone know his post speedway career?

I have always been a Rayleigh/ Rye House fan, but Brian Leonard was my favourite ever rider. My best memory was when he was riding for Oxford in the NL, he overtook Kelvin Mullarkey at Rye House, on the last bend to win a race. This was at a time when Kelvin Mullarkey was not often beaten at Rye House.

I seem to remember that Brian Leonard was involved at Reading as a team manager or co-promoter for a short time, after he had finished riding. Not sure what he did after that, but would be interested to know.

Yes he was a nice guy-see he'd be 61 now-hard to believe-anyone know his post speedway career?

For along time he had a motorbike dealership in Thatcham Broadway. I used to go in there from time to time and remember taking my moped there for repairs.

"Speedway Motors" was the name, if I recall correctly. It had a collection of race jackets on the walls and there were often speedway bikes on sale inside.

There's still a Leonard, B in the area according to the phone book. I assume that's him, although his shop is long gone now.

Edited by Grachan

Brian Leonard was one of the many former Hackney riders who attended the Hackney Reunion in 2005. Brian works at the motor racing circuit at Thruxton. His job? If you bought one of the track days driving a Mercedes, Aston Martin etc at Thruxton Brian is one of the teachers there.

I have to say that the little time I spend with Brian at the Hackney Reunion he relived his speedway memories as though they where yesterday and he has hardly changed at all. A really great guy to speak to.