British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Longest League Career Post-war

Anybody have any views on this-JS went for many years, but also Gordon McGregor was riding in 1950 I think or thereabouts for Motherwell, and I saw him in 1970 riding for Doncaster Dragons. Both these guys had very long careers-are you aware of anyone who can match then in this regard-I just also thought of Ronnie Moore-he started in 50 or 51 and was riding in the early seventies but he had a five year break in there 64-68 I think.

Possibly Billy Bales who rode for Yarmouth Bloaters 1948 to 1951 (inclusive of his National Service years) = 4

Billy joined Norwich Stars for the 1952 season and continued until closure of the Firs after the 1964 season = 13

Allocated to Sheffield Tigers for 1965 he continued until his retirement at the end of the 1969 season = 5

This totals 22 seasons when Billy rode here in England

True Billy missed most of 1951 in the U K. due to serving in the forces but he rode Speedway in those days in Egypt.

Having said this I think Jimmy Squibb would be the rider with the longest career in Post War Speedway.

Another who might be considered is "Hurri Ken" McKinley who was riding for many seasons.

Edited by star ghost

Paul Fry made his league debut in 1984, so this coming season will be his 25th season in speedway.

If you count Conference League, then Rob Hollingworth started in 1973 ( I think), and was still riding for Boston in 2006, although he did retire for several years in between.

I also imagine Malcolm Simmons must be close to the record.

Edited by shippy22

If you're talking consecutive years, Andrzej Huszcza must be up there. According to his (Polish) wikipedia entry, he rode for Zielona Gora from 1975 to 2005 and PSZ Poznan in 2006 and 2007.

Without going through the record books, Geoff Pymar and Wal Morton spring to mind as having very long careers. I'm sure someone will put me right.

Without going through the record books, Geoff Pymar and Wal Morton spring to mind as having very long careers. I'm sure someone will put me right.

They rode pre-war. The subject says post-war so I don't think they count.

They rode pre-war. The subject says post-war so I don't think they count.
Thanks for the info. I do remember Geoff Pymar riding for Yarmouth, and Wal Morton for Liverpool at Knowle Stadium in Bristol in 1960, so I think their careers may have covered a long period, although the war intervened, of course. Tim.

Conny Samuelsson rode for the Vetlanda club in Sweden every season between a first appearance in 1964 up to a final two outings in 1999

His only other club was Oxford in 1969.

I think its gotta be Jim Squibb-but have learned some interesting thing from these posts tho' .Fascinating altogether.

Conny Samuelsson rode for the Vetlanda club in Sweden every season between a first appearance in 1964 up to a final two outings in 1999

His only other club was Oxford in 1969.

While not quite in the Huszcza or Samuelsson league yet,Matten Kröger will this year be doing his 23rd season with Brokstedt.Not bad considering brokstedt are celebrating their 25 year jubilee

I'm a bit surprised that no-one so far has mentioned either Les Collins (1975-2003) or Neil Collins (1978-2006) both of whom had league careers of over 25 consecutive seasons.

I'm also sure that Nigel Boocock used to appear in the Guinness Book of Records for the longevity of his career (1955-1980).

Graham.

Billy Bales retired at the end of 1967 not 1969 as my fellow ex Norwich Stars fans Star Ghost suggests!

Though hes right in saying that Billy begun his career at Great Yarmouth in the late 1940's, so he enjoyed a long career!

Geof Pymar first rode at Norwich in about 1930 and I believe rode his last season at Middlesbrough or Bradford in about 1962 though I'm sure Star ghost will correct me!

Les Collins first rode league speedway for Crewe in 1975 and was still going in 2003 with Glasgow!

Neil Collins first rode in about 77/78 and finshed in 2006 with newport.

Ivan Mauger first rode speedway in 1955 in New Zealand and finished riding competitively in 1986!

Olle Nygren also rode for many years from possibly the late 40's till the mid 70's.

If you don't count league careers and just total years spent racing then some riders have had massively long careers. For instance I remember seeing Chris Louis/gary Havelock/Mark loram riding on junior grasstracks in the late 70's/early 80's and others like Phil Morris, Scott Nicholls and Leigh Lanham riding in the mid 80's!