British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
BOBBATH

Memories Of Somerton Park

I think he joined Newport in either 73 or 74,and the last time i saw him was at Phil Crumps Testimonial in 83.

I know he has passed on,but can`t remember what year.

Edited by Dietbowers

Also, I know this asking a lot :unsure: - aprt from Harringay to Wimbledon then Newport - did Jim ride for any other tracks (excluding California-in-England). Many thanks indeed for any comments.

Oxford '61 ...ish

Oxford '61 ...ish

Getting confused (I am very old!!!!) - can anyone set out in chronological order Jim Tebby's tracks from Harringay 1952 to Newport 1975. Oxford has now been mentioned. Again, thanks to all who can help me in this atter. And if Jim was at Harringay in 1952, where and when did he start? How old - about 15 years?

Jim was apparently relegated to the Wimbledon second half in 73 by Cyril Maidment,but i guess took umbrage at that and never appeared.Guess he must have signed for Newport a week or so into the season? :unsure:

Jim was apparently relegated to the Wimbledon second half in 73 by Cyril Maidment,but i guess took umbrage at that and never appeared.Guess he must have signed for Newport a week or so into the season? :unsure:

Yes, that does start to bring back memories to me. At the time, I thought Maido and the Dons were treating Jim Tebby badly - and still think that way today. It was then that I lost contact with the Tebby family.

From Speedway Researcher 1952 Harringay Section

2nd May - Greyhounds Scratch Race - Stan Clarke, Jimmy Gleed, Jim Tebby, Jim Purdy

Harringay staged second-half one-heat events for "Harringay Greyhounds" riders against a visiting pair of Juniors on some weeks and Jim Tebby was a regular in them and through to the end of the season in second half racing.

Jim also appeared for Birmingtham in 57, Ipswich in 58, Oxford in 61 in addition to his California, Harringay and Wimbledon matches. He was also a member of the Speedway Footballers team on a number of occasions

?Maybe the Greyhounds could be added to Jims total of teams on the "most teams" thread. Well it's only an idea

From Speedway Researcher 1952 Harringay Section

2nd May - Greyhounds Scratch Race - Stan Clarke, Jimmy Gleed, Jim Tebby, Jim Purdy

Harringay staged second-half one-heat events for "Harringay Greyhounds" riders against a visiting pair of Juniors on some weeks and Jim Tebby was a regular in them and through to the end of the season in second half racing.

Jim also appeared for Birmingtham in 57, Ipswich in 58, Oxford in 61 in addition to his California, Harringay and Wimbledon matches. He was also a member of the Speedway Footballers team on a number of occasions

?Maybe the Greyhounds could be added to Jims total of teams on the "most teams" thread. Well it's only an idea

Jim Tebby also for Oxford in 1956

My history for Jim:

Harringay 1952-5

Oxford 1956

Aldershot 1957

Birmingham 1957

Ipswich 1958

Wimbledon 1959-60

Oxford 1961

Wimbledon 1961-72

Newport 1973-5

Only went there once the night that PC chose not to ride

The night PC "broke down en route" to Newport. It was 1976 and the night after Tommy Jansson was killed.

He isn't the only one to have ducked meetings at Newport though, Malcolm Simmons also refused to ride there once

My history for Jim:

Harringay 1952-5

Oxford 1956

Aldershot 1957

Birmingham 1957

Ipswich 1958

Wimbledon 1959-60

Oxford 1961

Wimbledon 1961-72

Newport 1973-5

Thank you very much for this. And I guess his dad Stan was with him at most of the places he raced at?

The shape of the Somerton Park Track was not universally popular, but there was nothing that could be done about it. It had to be built arond the football pitch and the within the confines of the existing stadium.

Although it should be mentioned there were few complaints when the Wasps were weak, and visiting teams often won, when the team was strengthend and used to score 50+ every home match thats when the moans started