British Speedway Forum
Railway End

Punch Up's

Seen a few but one that sticks in my mind was at Hull in 1977; Birmingham team manager Graham Drury and the late Mike Curoso who happened to be Viking teammates at the time. One minute they were sat in their bikes at the pit gate ready to be pushed off then, literally within seconds, they were rolling around on the deck before being separated by riders and officials with Drury holding the upper hand at the time. This was in the days before fixed starting positions and it turned out one had lent across to the other saying "I'm having gate such and such, ok?" before the more thorough and physical discussion took place on the track, literally.

Also remember James Beaton Snr waving a fuel can and chasing an opposing rider through the Hull pits due to feeling agrieved over tactics meted out either to son Bobby or James Jnr (Jim) Beaton. Don't recall the identity the rider he was less than pleased with however.

Regarding Gresh, there was the time he kicked off in the Belle Vue pits v Reading in 1982, Ian Thomas' first meeting as Aces team manager. It was reported the Gresh laid Bobby Schwartz spark out, kicked Thomas where it hurts most with his steel shoe and decked another rider. "An action-packed 30 seconds" as my brother said at the time when I passed on what I'd read....

Edited by Martin Mauger

Not exactly a punch up, but I got told a story over the weekend about Mario Jirout in the pits at Stoke (I think) last season. He was smoking, apparently, and was informed by some person that that was forbidden and dangerous. He then poured some methanol on the ground, set light to it and danced up and down in it shouting 'I'm on fire, I'm on fire'.

The outraged official then wanted to know who was in charge of team and all fingers pointed at Main Man.

steve gresham decking bobby schwartz at belle vue in the pits with one of his famous well aimed through the helmet opening punch. then schwartz's mechanic, henry, a huge farmer from wiltshire grabbin gresh by the throat and pickin him off the ground to eye level with him, his ham hock sized fist cocked and aimed, sayin "i oughtta do you" or something really close to that, and he didnt punch him because he probably would have done permanent damage. funnier than hell. old stevo didnt say a word, he was just hangin there a good foot off the ground wide eyed waitin for the beatin. henry was quite a bit bigger than bruce cribb so that should paint the scenario pretty well. he was a gentle giant, at least until then. personally, i would have been beggin him not to permanetly disfigure my good looks.. :lol:

nasty sod gresham he kicked Ian thomas in the nuts at belle vue because he told him he was excluded.Shaun Wilson was always ready to share his fists with anybody, ask roman matousek.

nasty sod gresham he kicked Ian thomas in the nuts at belle vue because he told him he was excluded.Shaun Wilson was always ready to share his fists with anybody, ask roman matousek.

No surprise with regards to Sean Wilson. He had no looks to lose.

i remember david bruno blackburn had two punch ups. One at milton keynes when he took on the chessell brothers and the other one at stoke when darren sumners nearly had him off at stoke in the silver helmet match race Happy days :lol::lol:

I still remember the time up at Oxford in the early 80's, started out as just Hans Nielsen and Sam Ermolenko having a set to, then a hell let lose with every rider, mechanic and track hand joining in from all angles! Middlo's mechanic was being dragged back dwon the pits by two of the track staff so Middlo jumped them! it was carnage for a while, with Michael Lee sitting on the wall next to me arms folded watching it all ....................

An image I shall never forget! :blink:

This image Suzie..........is that the one of Michael Lee actually turning up to a meeting? :wink::unsure::lol:

steve gresham decking bobby schwartz at belle vue in the pits with one of his famous well aimed through the helmet opening punch. then schwartz's mechanic, henry, a huge farmer from wiltshire grabbin gresh by the throat and pickin him off the ground to eye level with him, his ham hock sized fist cocked and aimed, sayin "i oughtta do you" or something really close to that, and he didnt punch him because he probably would have done permanent damage. funnier than hell. old stevo didnt say a word, he was just hangin there a good foot off the ground wide eyed waitin for the beatin. henry was quite a bit bigger than bruce cribb so that should paint the scenario pretty well. he was a gentle giant, at least until then. personally, i would have been beggin him not to permanetly disfigure my good looks.. :lol:

Extraordinarily Schwartz and Gresham were team mates!

Both these incidents took place in the same match - a 1982 Belle Vue v Reading cup tie. [result 57-18 to Belle Vue - Races walked out with 3 heats to go claiming track was unrideable].

Also what about the famous Martin Dugard decking Stefan Anderssen

I also remember Martin landing on e of Brian Karger as Karger was on his slow down lap at Oxford on the 2nd bend. That battle was an ongoing one as for some reason there seemed to a number of incidents between them

Also memories of Eric Monoghan flying at Jens 'Rambo' Rasmussen with some implement from his tool kit in the pits at Oxford in the 80's

Shouldn't also forget Jason Crump clipping his then team mate Todd Wiltshire round the ear at Oxford for daring to get anywhere near him

There has certainly been a few over the years

Yep,I remember him riding for Newport for a season,seemed to gather a lot of bonus points if I remember correctly.

Not exactly a punchup,but I do remember Bill Andrew kicking Gary Middleton up the arse at Somerton Park back in the early 70`s icon_lol.gif

PUNCH UPS galore in old days.....

However one of my favorites LES OWEN was a character.

I recall a meeting at Blackbird Road between Bees and Leicester early 70's I think, or late 60's.

Ray Wilson, and Les.

Ray was of course at the peak of his career and hugely popular at Leicester. World Cup Willie was known for his'gardening' antics at the tapes.

He'd roll up to the line, twist his handlebars left and right, rock back and forward, kick his clutch and then pull back and start the proceedure all over again!

Les sat there watching him do this in the next gate and waited for him to settle.

When he did.....Les moved forward and mimicked Ray to the letter, extremely amusing. He rolled back and forth, twisted his bars left to right, kicked his clutch......

When the tapes went up......

It was LES OWEN WHO SURGED AHEAD much to the anguish of the crowd, and delight of the Bees supporters. He led and blocked Wilson on every bend for two or three laps.

Wilson could not find a way through.

The crowd was going wild.

It was nail bitng stuff -they were really at it out there.

Wilson would try the outside, Owen drifted to block.

Wilson tried the inside

Owen would drop on the line and stay put.

Then Willie saw red, and on the pits turn just dived straight into Les who was in front and on the line, the inevitable tangle and both came down.

You know what? I can't remember who the ref excluded, and it didn't matter. As from there there was an almighty punch up and arguements from the pits through to the track as just about everyone got involved

Ahhhh those were the days :)

Remember this Gemini??? Anyone else remember it....

Edited by Bee

Remember this Gemini??? Anyone else remember it....

If only.....if only I hadn't gone senile. ;) It's no good asking me I'm afraid as I can't remember things from last week never mind 30/40 years ago.

One thing I do remember though (only because I've got it on video somewhere) is another Leicester v Coventry match when Mark Courtney was leading Ole Olsen and on every lap he trailed his leg through a big puddle on the track so the water splashed over Ole. I don't think he was very pleased, especially as he didn't manage to beat Mark either.

Hope you are keeping well Bee.

Tony Childs and Brian Foote had a few shall we say 'disagreements' in their time! Legend has it that at one match when they were on opposite sides, Childsy went up to Footy in the pits as soon as he arrived, dropped his kitbag and said, "we going to have a punch up now to save doing it later?" :lol:

my recollections are a tight match at Hackney with the old enemy the Witches, Billy Sanders was ever so gently left with no where to go by arch rival Finn Thomsen after a closely fought heat, in wind down. Blly ened up in the fence while Finn coasted in to the pits.What with the long walk back amid the jeers of the Hawkes fans, Billy was in a fighting mood by the time he reached the pit gate., from there he threw his helmet at Finn like a cannonball. it wls then on for young and old. oh happy days. how about a thread....the best of enemies!! Finn and Billy...Len and John Berry.....

Tony

• Like 1

If only.....if only I hadn't gone senile. ;) It's no good asking me I'm afraid as I can't remember things from last week never mind 30/40 years ago.

One thing I do remember though (only because I've got it on video somewhere) is another Leicester v Coventry match when Mark Courtney was leading Ole Olsen and on every lap he trailed his leg through a big puddle on the track so the water splashed over Ole. I don't think he was very pleased, especially as he didn't manage to beat Mark either.

Hope you are keeping well Bee.

I remember that one too :)

Not in the best of health I'm afraid, but better for being in the sun and warmth here :)