British Speedway Forum
Hot Shoe

Lew Coffin

There is an excellent 5-page article on Lew Coffin titled 'Grass Great' in the latest issue (May 2008) of the UK magazine 'The Classic MotorCycle'.

A really good read and well worth getting.

There is an excellent 5-page article on Lew Coffin titled 'Grass Great' in the latest issue (May 2008) of the UK magazine 'The Classic MotorCycle'.

A really good read and well worth getting.

Didn't he try out for somewhere lik St Austell or Plymouth Bulldogs in the 60s?

I think it was in his first official race that he knocked off all 3 other riders.

He certainly received an SCB (or equivalent) reprimand, if not ban, and

was warned to curb his enthusiasm.

certainly turned out for bristol and was told off and banned i think for being to hard and rough house tactics

So what did they expect from a man named Coffin? :rolleyes:

Pretty sure he rode for Weymouth(non-league) in 62 or so.

He certainly did BOBBATH. Rode for the Royals in 1962 and 1963. Took over the captaincy in 63 following the retirement of Buster Brown. Did not ride in the "black" year of 1964 because he remained first and foremost a grass tracker and could not risk losing his licence.

In Speedway he is mainly known due to the very successful training schools which he ran for years at Weymouth. Almost all southern riders gained at least some of their early experience under Lew's tutelage.

Although his Speedway repuatation does not match that of his grasstrack one (where he is a legend) his contribution to Speedway through his training schools was huge.

Although very much a veteran now he still looks very little different to how he did in the 60's and it is always a delight to talk to him and his wife Betty when they visit Weymouth. :)

Lew Coffin is one of those people who proves you do not have to be a star to be a real asset to the Sport.

He probably deserves a "Benefit" meeting after the number of years he has been involved in Speedway.

Although his Speedway repuatation does not match that of his grasstrack one (where he is a legend) his contribution to Speedway through his training schools was huge.

Couldn't put it better myself Wessex Wanderer. I think it's amazing that Lew put in so much time to Speedway when obviously his first love was always Grasstrack.

I'm sure that the list of riders he has helped in their early Speedway & Grasstrack careers is far too long to put on here.

Couldn't put it better myself Wessex Wanderer. I think it's amazing that Lew put in so much time to Speedway when obviously his first love was always Grasstrack.

I'm sure that the list of riders he has helped in their early Speedway & Grasstrack careers is far too long to put on here.

Quite agree. I was at Somerset with Lubos Tomicek, I think in 2005, and Lew siddled up and said, "You got a goodun there". He asked what ignition setting we were on and then advised a surprising setting. Unfortunately it was late in the meeting but it is bits of info like that that can make the difference. He didn't know me or Lubos but was there to help. Nice guy. :approve:

:blink::blink:

he is banned from the poole pits because he was giving to much info to the away teams and he was there as a poole guest trouble is lew cant stop himself helping others but poole took a dim view of his actions

he is banned from the poole pits because he was giving to much info to the away teams and he was there as a poole guest trouble is lew cant stop himself helping others but poole took a dim view of his actions

All I can say is - "Shame on Poole!" for this action. Do those banned Lew Coffin REALLY know about his contribution to speedway and grass track racing?

I had the pleasure of meeting Lew at Weymouth 2 years ago and told him that I had a Fleetwood v Bristol programme from 1948 where he had been addad to the programme in ink.He remembered the occasion in detail as a late replacement What a man! Cant believe he has been banned from Poole pits. Thats the pits!

Lew was also rushed into the Norwich team one night at Knowle when 2 riders broke down on the way there. Lew and Graham Hole netted 5 points between them for the Stars that night.

Some years ago I rode a few grasstracks on my JAP. At one of them, Lew approached me and said that the angle of my handlebars was all wrong if I ever wanted to get comfortable on the bike. It goes without saying that he was right.

Of course, he didn't know me from Adam, but just couldn't help passing on his knowledge.

Edited by Sotonian