British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  

How may extra World championships (or various kinds) would he have got if he hadn't crossed Olsen?

How may extra World championships (or various kinds) would he have got if he hadn't crossed Olsen?

Well, as Hans won 22 World Championships (of various kinds), which is a clear five ahead of any other rider, not many.

The 1985 World Pairs Final - for which Tommy Knudsen was selected instead of Hans at the height of the feud.

And maybe the 1985 World Final at Bradford - when Knudsen seemed to be under instruction (you would assume from Olsen) to mess up Nielsen in his fourth ride.

That's probably it.

All the best

Rob

Let's be realistic, Olsen's going nowhere - the powers that be are afraid of him.

Perhaps we could do a Mosley :wink:

Anyone know a few nice young ladies :unsure:

Some Nazi uniforms and various items of leather paraphenalia :shock:

Ole Olsen has bought in the Grand Prix series and sold it to the fans, media and sponsors and taken the sport forward. Would we have live Sky meetings on Mondays if it wasn't for the GP's ?

The sport has sadly however got into a financial tug of war, much like the foiotball. Both sports now depend so much on the income from these live meetings they could not continue without it.

Yes the track was poor and work should have been done on it during the day witrh more water at regular intervals during the morning to allow it to soak in.

Ole runs the GP Series and yes he is Race Director, but doesn't he have a team of track curators working on these tracks as I know they do at Cardiff and last night wasn't that Colin ("No dirt, No Racing" Meredith with a rake ?

Maybe some changes are needed, but Ole bought us the GP and that will keep him in the job till he retires some 15 years away.

Hans Nielsen opposed Ole Olsen and finished with four World Championships - one more than Olsen himself. :wink:

Well, as Hans won 22 World Championships (of various kinds), which is a clear five ahead of any other rider, not many.

The 1985 World Pairs Final - for which Tommy Knudsen was selected instead of Hans at the height of the feud.

And maybe the 1985 World Final at Bradford - when Knudsen seemed to be under instruction (you would assume from Olsen) to mess up Nielsen in his fourth ride.

Didn't Hans get left out of a few Pairs and WTC finals ?

Thought Tommy K and Jan O were used a few times in the pairs.

Hans will go down as the greatest, but at least someone agrees about Bradford as Tommy went straight out on the first bend, sending Cook into Hans.

Didn't Hans get left out of a few Pairs and WTC finals ?

Thought Tommy K and Jan O were used a few times in the pairs.

Hans will go down as the greatest, but at least someone agrees about Bradford as Tommy went straight out on the first bend, sending Cook into Hans.

No, Hans only got left out of the 1985 World Pairs. He was brought back for the final of the 1985 World Team Cup Final at Long Beach.

The re-run at Bradford was even more obvious - Knudsen rode Nielsen instead of the track on the second bend, pushing Nielsen wide from second to fourth. Team orders from Mr. Olsen.

Ulitmately the feud with Nielsen cost Olsen his job - he was forced to resign as Danish team manager at end of 1985.

All the best

Rob

Its time for Ole Olsen to stand down tonights track is a disgrace. The geezer has been in the job too long he is even more miserable than Pete Adams which is bloody difficult.

Do the right thing Ole me old son hand yer resignation in and let someone else run the GPs.

Having just watched last nights GP,who ever was respnsible for that track whether it be Olsen or A N Other something needs to be done.How many times do we hear riders saying that the track is nothing like what it was like in practise which surely is the point of having a practise session.Seems like its grippy on a friday and slick on a saturday.Hopefully all of the hurt riders from last night wont be out for long but last night was shocking to watch. :angry:

one of the local track responsibility personnel Krister Gardell claimed that they had tried to water the track during the day but that the weather was TOO GOOD!!!???? :unsure::blink: With too good he means that it was sunny and that the track apparently couldnt handle sunshine.

Edited by Ghostwalker

i know it sounds silly but why resort to man made tracks when they could do what cricket clubs do and put stands up.

i know it sounds silly but why resort to man made tracks when they could do what cricket clubs do and put stands up.

EVERY speedway meeting is held on a man-made track.

All the best

Rob

i know that but ones that arnt made a few weeks before.

I believe you mean temporary tracks. :wink:

All the best

Rob

I believe you mean temporary tracks. :wink:

All the best

Rob

Yes thats what i mean :wink:

Whether it's time for Ole to go or not, it is DEFINATELY time for temporary tracks to go.

I know they wanted to take the GPs to big stadiums in big cities, but at what cost? It's only a matter of time before someone gets seriously hurt as a direct result of temporary tracks.

Hans Andersen had an almost identical crash last year on one of these sub standard tracks (Gelsenkirchen I think). Countless others have come to grief on these tracks over the years.

It is a dangerous enough sport as it is without the track playing such a big part, speedway should be raced on proper established speedway tracks.

Edited by home straight

Whether it's time for Ole to go or not, it is DEFNIATELY time for temporary tracks to go.

Agreed. Cardiff is invariably an abortion that ruts up. It's usually not a lot different to Ullevi last night. The only difference, as Sam Ermolenko pointed out, is that on a 416 metre track the speeds are much higher than around a track the size of Cardiff.

Does anyone know the actual structure surrounding Ole's position? Is he employed by the FIM? Is it the FIM and only the FIM who have a say over his position? Does speedway have any say whatsoever about his position?

If it is solely the FIM then this is a problem that could go well beyond Olsen ............... why should guys who play the political game well necessarily be good at preparing tracks?...... or even dare I say it have no bias when it comes to preparing tracks that suit their countrymen?