British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Blazeaway

Gp Series 2009

blimey hacket there is so much to reply to there!

First of all you sound suprised that nicholls hasnt entered the qualifying rounds and yet very few current GP riders do...... and Scott actually is usually near enough to the cusp of qualifying to secure a wildcard even if he doesnt make it as of right. As I have pointed out before Scott's record of making semis in past seasons is actually almost on a par with the top 4 .... it is qualifying well for semis and making finals that he has always suffered with.

Hampel did not make it (and Jagus) because Kasprzak was overdue a crack at it and unless i'm mistaken holta is under a Polish license still ....which makes 3 Poles................. it is a good policy that no country has too many in the gp's unless they have qualified as of right as it would become too lop sided too quickly

If we see harris or nicholls on the cusp of a top 8 final standing then I am sure they will be handed a wild card as regardless of if GB's star is on the wain or not they are still a major speedway nation and Nicholls and harris can usually be relied upon to be in the mix somewhere...... it is not like we are talking about Chrzanowski here is it?

re: Aces supporting Crump? Well that is their choice but for me it sums up everything that has gone wrong with the standard and fortunes of our riders if promoter and fan alike are willing to raise and back overseas riders (although as we all know that is an interesting thought when it comes to crump)..................... do I shout for Gollob when he isnt a liability? yeah damn right.... would I shout for him in a race against Nicholls, Harris, Kennett, Lawson etec etc? No chance

Ultimately less fans would turn up to Cardiff if there were no brits in the top 15

Great Post. We see stupid things like British fans with Swedish, Danish, USA etc flags and hats on. I cannot believe it, as you say we have to support the Brits no matter how poor they may be. I had my English flag with me at all times at Leszno. The polish people from Leszno although very fond of Leigh Adams, to a man had all Polish gear on. Nothing wrong with liking other riders but lets make Cardiff a sea of British flags.

I think the fairest system was when they had qualifying heats before the main meeting, at least that gave more riders a chance to participate, not to mention the fact that it stirred the shale up for the main event.

Stir the shale ??? Stir the shale dont tell Ole Olsen that he will have a heart attack !!!! You are unlikely to see too much dirt on a SGP track because IMG / olsen do not want the sponsors logos covered ... Plus they believe slick is best !!

Personally I believe that those in the GP's that fail to make the Top 8 and do not enter the qualifiers should NOT qualify for consideration as a wild card. Nicholls always fails to enter and therefore IMO should not have the option of a wildcard.

I would also advocate a limit of the number of times you can be awarded a wildcard for the series. I can see no reason why there should not be a limit of two in a riders career

At Cardiff there would still be a Brit as a Wild Card and not all go to support the British , there are many Aces fans that follow Crump , Poole fans that follow Pedersen over Nicholls or Harris and many supporters follow their clubs riders or favourites rather than the British .....

That statement alone tells why over the past 30 years why british speedway is on the decline bringing on other countries riders at the expense of our own (including the FIM race director who now advocates closing british speedway for 2 years)

Edited by sancho

I don't know what has happened to Scott. He used to be a hungry balls out racer. He just looks lost on the big stage these days

He and Bomber have the same problem, they just aren't good enough over the first lap of GP races. We saw it last night when they had favourable gates which everyone else had won from, when either a poor gate or bad decision on the first turn costs them dearly, and Scott in particular doesn't seem to learn. Bomber at least is only in his second season so has time to get better at it although he hasn't shown much sign of improvement this year on last.

Don't think that slick GP tracks help their cause either. Why oh why do they have a grippy circuit for practice then a slick one for the actual GP for every single round?

Don't think that slick GP tracks help their cause either. Why oh why do they have a grippy circuit for practice then a slick one for the actual GP for every single round?

To see which rider is the most cunning, although it's got to the point now that the riders should know that on race day the track will be as slick as. But more like they don't know how to prepare it the same two days running .............

I would also advocate a limit of the number of times you can be awarded a wildcard for the series. I can see no reason why there should not be a limit of two in a riders career

I do believe a former British champion has already exceeded that number.

But, of course, I agree with your post entirely.

After the shocking starts by both Bomber and Scott does anyone think there will be a British rider in next years series?

I certainly don't. They have both been awful with no signs of improvement.

they will probably cut it down to just having one brit, next year. trouble is there isn't anyone thats consistently good enough at the moment. and there are other riders who derserve to be in it more that aren't british.

Just found it's 98 heats of Speedway Grand Prix since the last time a Brit won a heat.

That's since midway through the Slovenia Grand Prix 2007, when Harris took the flag.

Just found it's 98 heats of Speedway Grand Prix since the last time a Brit won a heat.

I guess that's 108 now.

I guess that's 108 now.

It's about time that people realise that the current British GP riders are simply not good enough.

Alas for the UK that there isn't anyone that is outstanding that is coming through the ranks, ok, some

say that Tai Woffinden is the one, maybe..

But after last nights woeful performance and it was a total embarrassment from the Brits, it's time

that the authorities dropped the Brits out of the GP's and give 'wildcards' to riders that will step up to

the plate, like Chris Holder and young Emil Saijfutinov.

It's about time that people realise that the current British GP riders are simply not good enough.

Alas for the UK that there isn't anyone that is outstanding that is coming through the ranks, ok, some

say that Tai Woffinden is the one, maybe..

But after last nights woeful performance and it was a total embarrassment from the Brits, it's time

that the authorities dropped the Brits out of the GP's and give 'wildcards' to riders that will step up to

the plate, like Chris Holder and young Emil Saijfutinov.

Thou you are correct you got to remember that the main concern of the people who run it is to make money hence why Harris and Nicholls are in it .

This should never happen of course because it a world championship and all those in it should there on merit, there should not even be any wildcards to be honest .

I assume because of the politics of the sport, one of the brits will have to stay in next year. Scott doesn't deserve it because he thinks he's so good he doesn't need to qualify. But how can they give it bomber? a rider who rides 2nd div poland, and struggles in sweden <last week bottom scorer> the bloke is way out of his depth, it's almost laughable when they fly past him.

give 'wildcards' to riders that will step up to the plate, like Chris Holder and young Emil Saijfutinov

Couldn't agree more. In fact I would have just one 'wild card' for the series and make the rest qualify.

If they feel the need to make that one nomination a Brit then give it to someone different like Kennet, Bridger or Woffinden.

I guess that's 108 now.

I think I'd find that funny if I didn't have to say that the riders responsible are from my country :rolleyes:

We're 4 rounds in and tbh I think they should be written off now for consideration for a wildcard. If they start to pick up, maybe win a round, get some good points and get in the top 8 then well done (yeah it will be well done aswell because right now there's more chance of Nicki scoring 0 in every remaining round) but I believe that next year the only hope Bomber or Scotty has is if they are given a wildcard. Bomber proves that although he was reasonably successful last year (dressed up with the win at Cardiff make no mistake but credit anyway) he can't justify a wildcard inclusion and Nicholls just proves that he is not a GP standard rider and blows every chance he gets (yes I know he got in on merit for 08, only just).

To cut that short, the Brits are not good enough for the GPs and unless they get in on merit should be missed out next year.