British Speedway Forum
dantodan

George Glen

My Newcastle History Website has received a hit from the son of George Glen, who rode at Newcastle in the early 60's. We have decided to do a George Glen chapter/tribute. I would like to hear from anyone who knew George or has any pics of him with Newcastle or other tracks.

Edited by dantodan

Remember George in '61, really nice guy. I remember stopping for fuel on the way back from Newcastle and George was in there in his old van, (Hillman I think it was.) The spring hanger had rusted through causing the body and filler pipe to sag, so he carried a brick to run the back wheel up on. Because of the slope of the ground he was still having trouble to get any fuel in so we lifted up the body while he pumped in the fuel!! ahhh happy days! :lol:

Blimey-that's a name from the past-George Glen struck me as a salt of the earth type speedway rider-recall him riding for the Diamonds in the early sixties.Everybody who knew him liked him- a fatherly sort.Please tell George's son that he is still remembered with affection even as far away as Canada and that he should be proud of his old man!!!!

Big tall lanky bloke always with a smile on his face, I think he was South African. Good team man, never was going to be World Champ but was a clasy performer and very popular with the fans.

Dantodan.

I think he is in one of my team shots from that era on your excellant Newcastle Vintage site. :approve:

:blink::blink:

Thanks for the memories!! Yes Tsunami he was South African. I think your photo with Mike Parker on has George standing centre stage with what I described as a halloween mask for a facemask hanging around his neck.

I believe he died about 25 years ago.

I like the story about the rusty van (had a couple of them myself before I graduated onto rusty old cars lol) and who knows the story might end up on the website

Is it true that George Glen was an amateur boxer in South Africa before he took up speedway ?

When his son gets back to me I will ask him and put the answer on this thread

I have recived a couple of pictures of George. They will be on the Newcastle speedway history site when it comes back on line.