British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Riders Who Span Decades

If he rode from the 40s to the 70s that's four decades - one LESS than Johnson, so how does he hold the record?
squibby first rode pre war in 1939 and geoff pymar must be close as well as wal morton

I thought you had to scrap the Palace bit? :unsure:

Whatever,sounds like another great read.How much is the p&p to Germany?

I did have to leave out the Crystal Palace bit but Johnno's career at Crystal Palace does get referred to on more than one occasion.

Sorry I'm not sure what the p&p to Germany is. I can find out for you if you're interested... :wink:

squibby first rode pre war in 1939 and geoff pymar must be close as well as wal morton

Yes, of course, you're quite right about Squibby. I'd forgotten he had a few outings at Southampton in 1939, so that gives him five decades, the same as Johnson.

I'm not sure when Geoff Pymar first rode. He certainly rode at Norwich in 1930 but whether he rode anywhere before that in the 20s I'm not sure. :unsure: I'm sure Bryan will know. :approve: He continued until the 60s of course, so if he did ride in the 20s that would give him five decades as well. I'm fairly sure Wal Morton didn't ride in the 20s. I think he started somewhere round about 1932 or 3.

Edited by norbold

. I'm fairly sure Wal Morton didn't ride in the 20s. I think he started somewhere round about 1932 or 3.

Quite right."Wandering Wal' started at Coventry in 1932 - after retiring from boxing!

Wot about Cyril Brine-did he ride in the 30's??

Wot about Cyril Brine-did he ride in the 30's??

I am certain that Cyril Brine started riding on junior tracks about 1938 - against brother Percy and brother-in-law Dick Geary. Did he go through until the 1970s? Not certain offhand but I don't think so, so that would be four decades for Briney - 30s.40s. 50s, 60s.

Any idea how long Neil Street was riding for?

I know he rode for Newport in the 70`s,but don`t know when he started over here or Australia.

Edited by Dietbowers

How about Phil Bishop?

Started at High Beech in 1928 and certainly rode as late as 1963 in a match race with Ron Johnson.

So that gives Phil 5 decades, the same as Ron.

How about Phil Bishop?

Started at High Beech in 1928 and certainly rode as late as 1963 in a match race with Ron Johnson.

Here's two namess to furrow the brow!

Stan Tebby and George Bason:

Stan Tebby - started at California-in-England in 1939 and was still riding on tracks in France at the beginning of the 1970s. Only ever raced speedway on junior tracks.

George Bason - started at California-in-England in mid-1930s, also rode pre-war rode at Oxford and Crystal Palace. Post-war several league clubs including being captain at Southampton for a while in 1947. He spend the late 1950s riding in Germany and France and continued in France until late into the 1960s, may even have done a few meetings there in the early 1970s.

So, that makes Stan Tebby five decades and Bason certainly four with a query over an extension into the 1970s.

Does anyone else remember either rider? Stan's last bike is on show at the London Motorcycle Museum in Greenford, Middlesex.

How about Phil Bishop?

Absolutely right, sotonian. How could we forget dear old Phil, the man who is said to have broken every bone in his body.

Here's another long-server, the Canadian rider Mike Tams.

He was at Eastbourne in 1947, rode in Ireland after that, then was at Newcastle, Southampton and Ringwood. Returned to Canada, riding there for many years, as well as on the USA's East Coast circuit. He retired sometime in the early 1980s when into his early sixties. That gives him a five decade span - 40s, 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.

Sadly, now 89 years old, Mike is seriously ill in a Toronto Hospital.

As far as I can tell Geoff Pymar didn't ride before his 1930 efforts on the Firs "field"

Of the other Norwich Greats Ted Bravery rode in the 20s, 30s, 40s & the 1950 season.

Wilf Jay rode in the 30s, 40s, 50s & also the 1964 farewell meeting at the Firs and a match for Sheffield

Edited by star ghost

I've just noticed the mention of Tommy Price and agree the date of his Harringay meeting. There was another Tommy Price who rode in the old-days at Preston and went on to ride for Liverpool in the 30s, brother to Ernie of Bradford fame. This maybe where the 1920s date came from

No Cyril Brine did not ride in the 70's -he finished in around 1962-interesting thread this!!

No Cyril Brine did not ride in the 70's -he finished in around 1962-interesting thread this!!

That's right; I don't ever recall seeing Cyril ride.

Other names that haven't yet been mentioned are Malcolm Simmons, Gordon Kennett, and Nigel Boocock, all who managed four decades.

Steve