British Speedway Forum
dantodan

Riders Who Span Decades

I didn't notioce him above so lets have Conny Samuelsson, 1964-1999 without a break in the Swedish leagues.

Good call, Miro. Conny was another rider I'd thought would qualify for a four-decade span, but you certainly confirmed it.

Steve

also malcom simmons and colin goody have to be close as well

Both have already been mentioned, but I don't think that Colin Gooddy quite made it to four decades (1955-1977, I believe).

Steve

I think you are right Steve -"Joe" Gooddy didn't start till the 50's

No mention has been made of Colin Watson and Max Grosskreutz both of whom rode over a three decade period and would have gone longer had they not suffered serious injury.

I remember George Bason he had a couple of outings for Wembley in the 40s. He impressed himself on my mind by sliding off on the first bend of his first ride and breaking his leg. On recovery he appeared again and repeated his performance. It was just bad luck for him as neither fall looked dodgy.

No mention has been made of Colin Watson and Max Grosskreutz both of whom rode over a three decade period and would have gone longer had they not suffered serious injury.

I think we're going for four decades at least as there would be too many who managed three decades.

Sorry, but he retired at the end of the 1970 season. He rode in 37 matches for an average of 4.71.

Also, speedyguy; you're correct about Gene Bonsignore and George Lazor. Both started racing in 1976, which gives them four decades each.

Steve

Oops, quite right Chunky. Brain cell going faster than hair.

I remember George Bason he had a couple of outings for Wembley in the 40s. He impressed himself on my mind by sliding off on the first bend of his first ride and breaking his leg. On recovery he appeared again and repeated his performance. It was just bad luck for him as neither fall looked dodgy.

I remember George Bason West Ham and Wimbledon in 1946, and breaking a leg that season. Cannot recall him at Wembley however. He later went on to captain Southampton, then rode for Liverpool, Swindon and California (in England). Started 1930s at Oxford and was still racing in France in the late 1960s. He also rode at the Hackney anniversary meeting in 1978.

Better say Wal Morton before someone else does... :rolleyes:

Oh, plus the Collins boys (Les and Neil), Olle Nygren, Bobby Schwartz, to name four.

Steve

Saw Bobby riding a few weeks ago in California still getting to main finals, so must be in the frame.