British Speedway Forum
SpeedwayTShirts

** Cardiff Gp Music / Presentation **

Could stand to hear a lot more Bon Jovi, Aerosmith, Guns 'n Roses... ;)

God no please no !!!! - see its all about personal opinion and you cant please everyone......or is late 70's formula 'heavy metal' in line with the streotype of a speedway fan ??

Can I add my voice to the coming up to tapes music....what was that all about, 3 tunes intros all played at the same time ;) , just need a fanfare of some sort, then at least if you had snuck off to the loo or to get drinks, food, you could at least identify when the next race was about to start....just my opinion you understand. Also can't stand those cheesy, Wonderful Copenhagen, Wizard of Oz type themes, but I think the Land of Hope and Glory and Rule Britannia bit when all the crowd (of Brits) were waving their flags in time to the music was brilliant.

I thought it was brilliant, top marks from me. Only thing I would complain about was the Baywatch theme, WHY!!!!

Loved Fanfare for a Common Man, took me back, heres hoping your back next year.

You need a song next year for riders choking under the pressure (Step forward Scott Nicholls and take a bow :blink::blink: )

In all I enjoyed the spectacle that is Cardiff - music and presentation was excellent.

Have to agree that the music drowned out the roar of the bikes as the green light came on and I was in L2 front row near tapes - maybe I'm a purist but 4 bikes at full revs signals the start of the race not the music. :rolleyes:

Edited by BTL

not sure, we played two tracks as the riders were on there way to the tapes a different on each time, one is oh yeah off ferris bueller and the other is the race by yellow. Hope that helps?

No, I'm recalling either of those ..............it was more of a Russian feel! As the riders were at the tapes ????

Edited by HeathenBaggie

Maybe they should have played Status Quo's 'Down, Down' for Nicki Pedersen

What was thet Elvis Costello song ??? - "I cant stand up for falling down" - were the lyrics

In all I enjoyed the spectacle that is Cardiff - music and presentation was excellent.

Have to agree that the music drowned out the roar of the bikes as the green light came on and I was in L2 front row near tapes - maybe I'm a purist but 4 bikes at full revs signals the start of the race not the music. :rolleyes:

I've called you many things BTL but I can safely state 'pure' was never one of them! :lol:

Ok every one has different taste, to be honest it was tacky to put it mildly. Speedway is trying to be professional, but there was nothing professional about the blaring music and corny jingles.

That of course is only my (well actually not just mine, many others too) opinion.

Whether the mentioned song was aimed at the referee or Nicki Pedersen, it was well out of order and I hope the person in charge of the music is made aware of this.

I went to see speedway, hear the bikes, get the smell and enjoy the racing, if I wanted to go to a disco, I would have gone to town.

If you want sponsors to put their money in our sport then this must not be allowed to happen again.

Good music during the meeting BUT a disgrace to play Bad Boys when Nicki hit the podium:(

Not sure if the FIM will give us feedback? I really enjoyed it, I've taken on board a few changes, I really thought the Bomber incident got great coverage on SKY they used the stadium footage with no talking for about 60 secs so it must have been impressive!

The idea is to be tacky with some of the music and jingles and our style is to choose a song for a rider and then constantly go with it. I know we will never please everyone but I'm very much into hearing peoples opinions and then making an educated decision on what to run with.

The Easy Chants in the Rock n Roll weren't liked by some at Brandon, especially visitors but we listened spoke to the powers that be and decided to still run with it. And the team members took the easy easy onboard in a big way as they still use it to date when they have a great meeting or something impressive happens.

Some changes were made yesterday throughout the meeting on the Event Managers requests, they were the people paying us at the end of the day. We continue to learn with stuff each time we do a meeting, this was the biggest thing I've ever worked at.

The Land of Hope and Glory was one little part of the day that whether you watched on Sky or were in the Stadium that I'm sure people will fondly remember for a long time and that was down to me :)

At the end of the day we run with the policy that there's a lot of time to fill in a speedway meeting and we want to entertain people to keep the sport growing from strength to strength. It'd be far more profitable to just do disco's in pubs and singing gigs but speedway's in our blood and I guess that's why we make it our priority to put on the best show we possibly can ;)

So - will you actually be taking on any of the critical comments, or just basking inthe ones you like?

The majority complaining on here (and there are only a few) are the usual suspects who do nothing but whinge on every topic.

Absolute rubbish. I made constructive comments. Superbart asked our opinions, I gave mine. You don't like it? That's your problem not mine.

I think I must be like a 4 year old as well 'cos I never even heard any "offensive" words. I presume it must be a more recent song because I've lost track of the Top Twenty these days. :lol:

How about telling me exactly when it was played so I can listen out for it on my recording and be offended. :P

Hardly a new song - been out since about the 80's. Sung by a bloke called Ivor Biggun, who was a character called Doc Cox on That's Life. I could quote you the words,but this is a family forum.

Cracked me up and although I agree that's it's borderline for a family audience SCB is right. No young ears would have clocked it. And if they did then you wonder how they know what it means. Younger teenagers may well have heard and understood, but I would suggest that they hear much worse on the street and at school every day of the week.

Doesn't make it right though.

Just registered as i had to reply to this topic.

I have to agree with bobbin along and chris and feel that the music was awful, cheesy and naff are the words that spring to mind and to be honest it nearly, but not quite, spoilt the night for me and my party. I accept that you have music to fill in the gaps between races but does it have to be so loud that you cant talk to the person next to you without shouting down their ear. As for playing music over the riders at the start, give me strength!! After a 300 mile drive to Cardiff i want to hear the bikes at the start not Star Wars or whatever other strange tune you thought would be better than the sound of 4 speedway bikes waiting to start the race. Its a speedway meeting first and foremost, not a circus where sound effects are needed and dont get me started on the flame thrower things lol.

The songs for each rider were an embarressment and that stupid game show noise when the the red lights came on for whatever reason was equally as bad, what if somebody had seriously hurt themselves falling of and you were making fun of it,wouldnt have been quite so clever then would it.

To sum up for me, obviously you need music but turn it down so we can talk to each other.

No music at all at the start or once the riders reach the tapes.

Its the best speedway riders in the world, it doesnt need messing about with!!

Before anybody tells me im a boring old git, im not that old and i love music and im still a regular gig goer, in fact im taking my oldest daughter to Twickenham Saturday to see Iron Maiden (not my cup of tea but id rather listen to that than aga doo). Im a fan of all things indie, punk etc so its not that i dont like music or loud music its just a matter of the time and the place.

Btw hi everyone

Hardly a new song - been out since about the 80's. Sung by a bloke called Ivor Biggun, who was a character called Doc Cox on That's Life. I could quote you the words,but this is a family forum.

Ah! A few words I recognise now - Doc Cox and That's Life. :lol: I remember him. Still never heard of the song though but that doesn't say a lot because I'd never heard of Belinda Carlisle either. :oops:

Ah! A few words I recognise now - Doc Cox and That's Life. :lol: I remember him. Still never heard of the song though but that doesn't say a lot because I'd never heard of Belinda Carlisle either. :oops:

Heaven Is A Place On Earth - c'mon Gem. If you were THAT much of an oldie wouldn't you be tucked up in bed with a mug of Ovaltine by now? :wink::lol:

Seems that following the anticipated "bon homi” the initial question sought, the more sceptical forum member is now having a voice. Taking it one more step beyond I thought it was all total pants. Speedway and music go so very well together but this seemed to be a rehash of a very tired concept tried, unsuccessfully, at a previous Bradford GP. The simple fact is there are not sufficient recognisable decent tracks to accurately reflect the individual riders so to attempt the thing was bold move but doomed. The result was it became on a par with the appalling Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines at Rye House and the yodelling at Foxhall Heath. As has already been said to actually have an anti USA track played for Greg was not really very good planning, unless George Bush was in the crowd in which case a top call. To have all the forum chums speaking positively is actually doing a disservice and reminded me of the appalling pre GP ad last year, which was ultimately pulled by Sky despite getting incestuous rave reviews on this site.

As for the flag waving to the Tory Party battle hymn I commented at the time it must have been like Nuremberg in the 1930s, apart from the different flags. It wouldn't have been a surprise if there had been a goose-stepping invasion of Barry Island after the meeting. (Pedants please note that was a joke). Pavlov's dogs’ scenario in my opinion. Go to any wedding and as soon as the medley from Grease starts everyone minces around and finishes on one knee, with arms in the style of Cliff Richard. They all then sit down and say how crap the whole thing was.

As for people reporting how great the hokey cokey was, well non-swear words fail me. We may as well go back to the "Is there anybody here from Mildenhall?" nonsense, which we had forced down our throats at big meetings in the not so distant past.

The Lonigo GP in 2005 showed exactly what could be done merging speedway and music. The place was rocking from gates open to well beyond midnight with real adrenalin thrusting rock with none of your Daft Old Dave’s Loony Tunes (Wimbledon 1990) rubbish, which we get over in the good old UK. Topped off with Pavarotti and fireworks at the close, the whole town was echoing to the event and loving it. It was also well choreographed with the bikes and enhanced not dominated them.

There are twelve months before the next Cardiff round so plenty of time to arrange a sensational event, if you start now.

And finally, "Is there anybody here from Mildenhall?"