British Speedway Forum
Sign in to follow this  
RAWLINGB

Staying In Newport Gp 2009

Thinking of staying in Newport next year , any one had any experience of getting the trian fron Cardiff to Newport after the event

Thinking of staying in Newport next year , any one had any experience of getting the trian fron Cardiff to Newport after the event

It has to be tried :D It's normally packed but thats part of the fun.

It has to be tried :D It's normally packed but thats part of the fun.

And means you will miss the fireworks and have to dash after the final race...

Guest Steve Dixon

Someone told me outside the stadium that trains from Cardiff to Newport were cancelled on Sat night, if that is true, could be a dodgy move too!!

Someone told me outside the stadium that trains from Cardiff to Newport were cancelled on Sat night, if that is true, could be a dodgy move too!!

Must have been a ghost train I came home on then! :shock:

And means you will miss the fireworks and have to dash after the final race...

I normally stay until the very end and am being ousted out of the stadium by security and still get the train home.

Must have been a ghost train I came home on then! :shock:

And you don't have to miss the fireworks either! I stayed to the end and when I passed the station there was still a big queue outside.

I was in the queue Firesam saw. There was a big sign saying "Cheltenham/Gloucester" that nearly everyone was queueing behind - even though most of the people in that queue were trying to get to Newport! There were stewards letting people through in groups of 40-50, you walked halfway through the station to another checkpoint. And then you were let through to a final queue at the other side of the station where there were coaches heading towards Gloucester (i think) & to Newport. You didn't have to pay or show any ticket, they just put people on to the coaches until they were full then they left. Mine left just after midnight dropping off at Newport train station around 12.45am.

Won't be planning to get back to Newport this way next time, but it worked out ok for me.

I was also in the queue for the train but the last train left at 10.40 due to enginering work. I joined the queue at 11.15 with about 300 other people (including families with young children) it was 1am before I was finally able to get on the coach to newport arriving back about 1.30am and there were still about 40 people waiting when I left cardiff for another coach to pick them up I hate to think what time they got back. If you do stay in newport its probably best to check the internet to make sure the trains are going to be running o.k. otherwise you may have to make alternative arrangements bearing in mind taxis were quoting about £55.00

Had no idea the taxi firms were quoting that much back to Newport - I guess we were pretty lucky in the end. If was on my own I might chance it again, though I was with my better half this time & she wasn't too sure, a few people were pretty nervous at the uncertainty at the station, no-one seemed too sure what was happening.

alternative arrangements bearing in mind taxis were quoting about £55.00

Not too bad if theres 5 of you, and you show the taxi driver £50 in cash before you travel :wink:

Yeah no problem. Newport is good fun & far cheaper than Cardiff for hotels. Trains Ok.

We were originally booked in at the walkabout in Newport,but due to certain problems(and sadly,the lack of a welsh open the following day)-we decided to drive back on the night.

Looks like a good move if the reports regarding the train back are correct-had no probs in 07-left GP (after fireworks),had a beer in the city arms,and still in plenty of time for the last train(1135 i think)-newport is ok-hotel pass gave us free access to night club,& plenty of options regarding places to eat etc,just check the train timetables i guess!

On a side note-arrived in Cardiff at just after midday,& parked(with mostly other speedway fans)on the P & D in north st-R/H side of road entering Cardiff after leaving J29) for the princely sum of £3.50! :rolleyes: approx 10 mins walk.

As a group us Glasgow fans always base ourselves in Newport . Granted we have our own coach , but are quite happy to let anyone out .

This year we took a couple of Newcastle fans to Somerset and Cardiff , plus we had a couple of waifs and strays joining us after the GP . :lol:

Some of the Newport supporters had a bus organised to come home Saturday night, jumped on it around 11.15 straight back to Newport no problems. There's a few more hotels being built in Newport at the moment so accomodation should be easier and hopefully the Welsh Open will be back up and running too.