British Speedway Forum
TonyMac

Defunct Track Pictures

Just to let you know, we've just added a number of new pictures of sadly defunct tracks to our site.

If you can stand the pain of looking at these shrines to British speedway, colour pics were taken at the following:

Belle Vue (Hyde Road)

Crewe

Glasgow (Craighead Park)-in black & white only

Hackney (arrrrgggh!)

Halifax

Harringay

Leicester (Lions fans of a sensitive disposition should not go there - it's a pic of a flattened Blackbird Road. Sorry.)

Reading

Rochdale

Walthamstow

Wimbledon

http://www.retro-speedway.com

Click the 'Gallery' tab on our Home Page and go to the Defunct Tracks section...

If anybody has any pics of defunct tracks that they would like us to add to our site, so that others can enjoy viewing and reminiscing over them, then please email the pic(s) to me at editorial@retro-speedway.com. We would be pleased to add your name to the list of credits, if you wish.

Cheers,

Tony Mac

Edited by tmc

Thanks a bunch, Tony; looking at those pics made me want to cry my bloody eyes out... :cry::cry:

Steve

Thanks a bunch, Tony; looking at those pics made me want to cry my bloody eyes out... :cry::cry:

Steve

Steve,

More tears on their way, mate.

Have just added three views of Plough Lane.

And there are also new shots of Belle Vue, Crewe, Rochdale, Doncaster and Leicester just added.

Can anyone confirm the 'unknown' venue on the site? There's a football pitch in the middle, but I'm still none the wiser.

Steve,

Can anyone confirm the 'unknown' venue on the site? There's a football pitch in the middle, but I'm still none the wiser.

Possibly Ellesmere Port because of the football pitch, but I'm not really sure as I only went there a few times and that was a long time ago.

Possibly Ellesmere Port because of the football pitch, but I'm not really sure as I only went there a few times and that was a long time ago.

Thats what I thought when I saw it.

Is the Cardiff photo of White City or Penarth Stadium?

99% certain its Ellesmere Port, check it with a pic on the Speedway Plus site.

Penarth Stadium

Thanks ;)

Without being pedantic the Cardiff track was actually called Penarth Road Stadium-Penarth at that time was a separate town just outside Cardiff. So its Penarth Road Stadium, not Penarth Stadium.