British Speedway Forum
Ashie

World Cup Format - Not Team Racing?

Something that struck me with the 4TT type format is that the best set of riders win, but this does not showcase the best 'team racers' and I wondered why the 4TT format is used rather than two riders from two countries each race? I am sure this format was used in an international format previously, although may have been years ago now.

I guess under this current format the best team may still win in terms of pit morale and helping each other out that way, but I love to see riders team race and this would be a great showcase for that.

Something that struck me with the 4TT type format is that the best set of riders win, but this does not showcase the best 'team racers' and I wondered why the 4TT format is used rather than two riders from two countries each race? I am sure this format was used in an international format previously, although may have been years ago now.

I guess under this current format the best team may still win in terms of pit morale and helping each other out that way, but I love to see riders team race and this would be a great showcase for that.

Think the team riding sceneario was scrapped after the (un)clean one and Crump rode a race with stabilisers on in 2000 at Coventry handing the WTC to Sweden. Too much opportunity for fixing going on in a 2v2 as was seen in that particular race at Coventry, when it was laughable watching the two aussies backing off at every passing opportunity after missing the gate by miles.

Can't see much wrong with the current format. Over the last seven years the SWC has provided the best racing in the sport.

Think the team riding sceneario was scrapped after the (un)clean one and Crump rode a race with stabilisers on in 2000 at Coventry handing the WTC to Sweden. Too much opportunity for fixing going on in a 2v2 as was seen in that particular race at Coventry, when it was laughable watching the two aussies backing off at every passing opportunity after missing the gate by miles.

Can't see much wrong with the current format. Over the last seven years the SWC has provided the best racing in the sport.

I'll gloss over that anti-Aussie slur you Pommy *******, :wink: , but fully agree that SWC is the Tops in Speedway Entertainment. :approve:

but fully agree that SWC is the Tops in Speedway Entertainment. :approve:

Don't get me wrong, I do love the SWC and I agree it is great entertainment but I long for what appears to be the lost art of team riding.

Don't get me wrong, I do love the SWC and I agree it is great entertainment but I long for what appears to be the lost art of team riding.

Unless you count Master Gollob's team rides using other nations riders to his advantage; twice in the last couple of years. Class.

Unless you count Master Gollob's team rides using other nations riders to his advantage; twice in the last couple of years. Class.

haha the man is something else and he made a right mug of Davey Watt

Every year I post this so I'm sorry if it's boring but I must moan my little head off

The Speedway World Cup is NOT a team event.

It is an international Individual event and they just add up the race scores for the riders that are from the same country (apart from Matej Ferjan and Rune Holta of course)

Why the hell don't they race as teams like League Speedway - you never know it might even make the racing a bit more interesting because as usual with the world cup I'm losing the will to live with how boring it is

:mad::mad::mad:

If we want team speedway they would have to bring back the World Pairs , which wouldn't be a bad thing .

Every year I post this so I'm sorry if it's boring but I must moan my little head off

The Speedway World Cup is NOT a team event.

It is an international Individual event and they just add up the race scores for the riders that are from the same country (apart from Matej Ferjan and Rune Holta of course)

Why the hell don't they race as teams like League Speedway - you never know it might even make the racing a bit more interesting because as usual with the world cup I'm losing the will to live with how boring it is

:mad::mad::mad:

You must have been watching the tiddly winks world cup for the last few years then. If you think the SWC has been boring there really is no hope for you as a fan of the sport.

A reason why there is no more 2v2 in a race was given above. Too easy to fix races.

Every year I wonder why the World team Cup..............isn't

It is an Individual meeting and the riders from the same country have their points added up

why don't they race 2 team riders per race????????????????????

could anyone answer this?

If they raced properly as teams as in League Speedway, it might even make the racing closer, because let's face it every year it's pretty bad and as usual after 2 heats I was losing the will to live

As chris has already said after cov the other year it won't happen again.......

You must have been watching the tiddly winks world cup for the last few years then. If you think the SWC has been boring there really is no hope for you as a fan of the sport.

A reason why there is no more 2v2 in a race was given above. Too easy to fix races.

No I stand by the fact that the racing is processional and usually quite boring

Why are the races fixed in SWC but not league Speedway. and anyway surely we should have proper team racing and the authorities just make sure it's not fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No I stand by the fact that the racing is processional and usually quite boring
If you really believe that, I pity you.

Why are the races fixed in SWC but not league Speedway. and anyway surely we should have proper team racing and the authorities just make sure it's not fixed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Because league racing is 2 vs 2, not 4 vs 4 :rolleyes:

Tomasz Gollob, legend :D

The SWC is my favourite speedway competition. It combines individualism in a team environment. It is a team event, you can see that when you watch a genius like Tomasz Gollob in action. He's out there assisting a Russian to improve the standing of his own team.

they would have to bring back the World Pairs , which wouldn't be a bad thing .

My money's on Pamela Anderson. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

The SWC is my favourite speedway competition. It combines individualism in a team environment. It is a team event, you can see that when you watch a genius like Tomasz Gollob in action. He's out there assisting a Russian to improve the standing of his own team.

Spot on Subby me ol' Mongol M8, I can't wait to see the tape of this meeting. Anyone who complains about the standard of racing has obviously never been to SWC. Standouts for me have usually been the Play-off meetings - last year at Leszno(?) a case in point, while the Play-off at Poole in '04 was a ripper, even if Oz did lose out. Deffo coming over for it next year, whether its Poland or Pomgolia; I'm afraid I'm a member of the "Anywhere but Denmark" brigade or I'd be there now. (Plus the fact I'm piston broke again :blink: ).

Edited by BigFatDave